Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 315567 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Another POSS Experience
« Reply #200 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:13 »
Update: I have an AO interview with Entergy on January 4th!

GOOD LUCK TUESDAY! :)

Offline ceefroe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #201 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:02 »
Thanks, Charlie Murphy! Just got the call/offer.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #202 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:41 »
Congratulations to all.

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Re: More reflections on the POSS test
« Reply #203 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:39 »
Just took the POSS at 8am this morning.  Finished all but one question on the assembly, completely finished the mech concepts and reading comp(with time to spare)...as for the tables and graphs...finished half of the first section and a little over half the second section.

That irritated me, oh well.  To anyone taking this exam...be ready for an all out speed test for the tables and graphs portion.

As for the math usage...took the advise I found on here and skipped ahead to the algebra and word problems, then went back to the conversions...think I finished about 3/4 of that portion.

We'll see how it goes...This is the only hurdle between me and a NLO position starting in a couple months.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #204 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:49 »
Just took the POSS at 8am this morning.  Finished all but one question on the assembly, completely finished the mech concepts and reading comp(with time to spare)...as for the tables and graphs...finished half of the first section and a little over half the second section.

That irritated me, oh well.  To anyone taking this exam...be ready for an all out speed test for the tables and graphs portion.

As for the math usage...took the advise I found on here and skipped ahead to the algebra and word problems, then went back to the conversions...think I finished about 3/4 of that portion.

We'll see how it goes...This is the only hurdle between me and a NLO position starting in a couple months.

It is good to be confident, but the POSS is just one step and probably the easiest.  Your stiffest competition will be the interview.  But good luck.

Offline howdy103

• Lurker
« Reply #205 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:43 »
Hi I have a question. How or what training do I need to work on a nuke shut down as an electrician?

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
« Reply #206 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:27 »
It is good to be confident, but the POSS is just one step and probably the easiest.  Your stiffest competition will be the interview.  But good luck.

Thanks man.
Interview has been done already, guess I made a good impression cause the reason I took the POSS was I originally applied for a maintenance position and passed the MASS, but because i wasnt available to work until 6 months down the road, they told me they would have to pass on me for now but they were recommending me to the OPs dept.

This site is one of the greatest resources I've found...period.
Anybody taking either the POSS or the MASS, just do a little searching on here for test taking tips and you will be golden.
Also...take any advise you find on here as far as the interview process.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #207 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:40 »
Hi I have a question. How or what training do I need to work on a nuke shut down as an electrician?

In most plants all you have to do is get submitted by the Union hall and pass the required Plant Access and Rad Worker tests (training and/or study materials provided.) If you are not in the union, your options are limited to just a few plants and you deal directly with the contract company.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #208 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:40 »
Thanks man.
Interview has been done already, guess I made a good impression cause the reason I took the POSS was I originally applied for a maintenance position and passed the MASS, but because i wasnt available to work until 6 months down the road, they told me they would have to pass on me for now but they were recommending me to the OPs dept.

This site is one of the greatest resources I've found...period.
Anybody taking either the POSS or the MASS, just do a little searching on here for test taking tips and you will be golden.
Also...take any advise you find on here as far as the interview process.

Anytime, however if Operations did not interview you I would be prepared for them to ask you to do another interview.  But times may have changed since I was in Ops.

johnv1777

« Reply #209 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:42 »
Hey guys

I am in a sticky situation I have a company who wants me to take poss/mass on one day then another wants me to take it the next day, but at the same time they prefer I take it at their locations. what to do? any help would be appreciated.

Pman52

« Reply #210 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:34 »
Hey guys

I am in a sticky situation I have a company who wants me to take poss/mass on one day then another wants me to take it the next day, but at the same time they prefer I take it at their locations. what to do? any help would be appreciated.

I know Entergy wanted me to test with them and when I told the lady I couldn't make the testing date she said they would allow me to take it on another date, which happened to be 2 weeks after the date they had originally planned for me.  My take is explain to the HR rep that you have plans and then politely ask her if she can reschedule another date for you to make the test.  If they wont do it, then ask the other utility.  If they wont do it either, then pick one (obviously one site is likely more favorable over the other).  I really have to doubt they will reject your rescheduling date.  Chances are you might have to wait awhile longer for the next testing date, but a chance to test with them is better than not testing at all, and it will put you that much closer to landing a position with them.  Good luck.

porkchopxpress

« Reply #211 on: Jun 19, 2011, 01:58 »
I just took the poss test for the second time. The first time I took it I knew walking out the door I did'nt pass it. This time is different. I never completed any section in its entirety but i did fishish 2/3 of all tests except the math. I answered 9 of 18 and i know i answered one wrong. With all of this said, Is it enough or will I be waiting another 90 days?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #212 on: Jun 19, 2011, 04:41 »
I just took the poss test for the second time. The first time I took it I knew walking out the door I did'nt pass it. This time is different. I never completed any section in its entirety but i did fishish 2/3 of all tests except the math. I answered 9 of 18 and i know i answered one wrong. With all of this said, Is it enough or will I be waiting another 90 days?

Might not have made it, check out this thread on how others improved on scores:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22885.msg119916.html#new

MacGyver

« Reply #213 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:33 »

No, you'll be waiting another 90 days.

porkchopxpress

« Reply #214 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:24 »
I appreciate your hounesty. After the first test the lady who gave me the test told me i missed it by one point. As i have seen there is no clear cut answer to how it is graded. I did answer more questions this time and i feel they were right. I will never really know till i get my results in a week or so. All is well though if i have to take it again I will. If i was that close once i should eventually screw up and pass it.

Pman52

« Reply #215 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:00 »
I appreciate your hounesty. After the first test the lady who gave me the test told me i missed it by one point. As i have seen there is no clear cut answer to how it is graded. I did answer more questions this time and i feel they were right. I will never really know till i get my results in a week or so. All is well though if i have to take it again I will. If i was that close once i should eventually screw up and pass it.
Prepare yourself...well.  The resources are at your finger tips.  Use them.  ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #216 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:45 »
My advice:

Finish all questions. Get all questions right.

It works.

Offline Karl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #217 on: Jun 22, 2011, 12:29 »
Finish all questions. Get all questions right.

It works.

I will second that one.

Finishing all the questions is not out of reach if you prepare yourself.  The only section I did not finish was the long math and I think I got through 75% of that one.  I did spend a lot of time studying though, perhaps an hour a day for a couple of weeks.  ASVAB question banks, time, and determination was what got me there.  I didn't study the ASVAB material per se, but instead refined the method.  ASVAB material is kids stuff, the method is speed and accuracy.

Fermi2

« Reply #218 on: Jun 22, 2011, 07:16 »
I finished both times I took it, at SoCalEdison and DECO. Had time to spare too. There is no sense putting your future in the hands of an incomplete test.

porkchopxpress

« Reply #219 on: Jun 23, 2011, 02:01 »
No, you'll be waiting another 90 days.

I just recived a call letting me know that I passed the poss test. I dont have a interveiw yet but it is a relief know I passed it.  There is a abundant of information on this site, take what you can and apply it to what best suits you. I thank God first and formost, then I thank everyone who posted ideas and ways to pass it. Thank you.

Pman52

« Reply #220 on: Jun 23, 2011, 06:19 »
Congratulations.  Now relax and have a cold one.   ;)

Don't stress the interview.  If you get called, you get called.  Be ready.  There are tons of threads on the interview process.  Spend time reading EVERY ONE.  If you don't get called then prepare a better resume and keeping applying.  Stay after it until you hear something.  The fall seems to be a good time for hiring in ops.  It'll be here before you know it...

MacGyver

« Reply #221 on: Jun 23, 2011, 08:20 »
I am very happy for you. I am not disappointed to be wrong.  The interviews have become very canned. So, you should be able to prepare quite easily with the threads we have here on the site. If you questions pm some of the local contributors or me if you need help.

porkchopxpress

« Reply #222 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:37 »
you guys are absolutely right. Im not sweating the interveiw that much. I feel confident in myself. I will however not dismiss the fact that im not perfect and take what advise is given. there is always room for improvement. thank you all.

Divinitus

My recent POSS Failure... too much conflicting info?
« Reply #223 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:52 »
Hello everyone!  I thought I would share my recent feelings on failing the POSS test for Entergy this week. 

First, make no mistake, I am NOT trying to hide my role in failing.  Straight up, I didn't get it done.  I would however, like to shed some light on some inconsistencies regarding test strategies, grading, etc.

Like most people, I downloaded and took the EEI practice test, which I found VERY helpful.  One of my best friend's is an AO so I had that resource.  Some of his managers even took me aside and gave me some "sage" advice.  I studied for about 3-4 weeks before the exam, ate a big breakfast, slept well, the whole nine.

First, I will say that I didn't completely finish ANY section of the test.  First section was Assembly and I skipped ones that were too difficult or taking me too long.  I probably missed 5-6 out of 24?  All of the sections were like this except for tables/graphs and math.  I didn't finish the 60 table problems in 4 minutes or the graph problems in the same time.  Math was oddly my most comfortable test.  I got hung up on conversions with about 8 to go so I went to Algebra which i smoked through and then completed 5 word problems.  My friend who is an AO didn't even complete that many and passed so I know I did enough, at least on that section.  In fact, he didn't finish ANY section, like me.

Here's where it gets odd.  The proctor told us flat out to narrow the answer down to 2 , maybe 3 options and then take an EDUCATED GUESS!!!  This flies in the face of everything I have been told or read about the test.  The assistant OPS manager told me to not worry if I left "10-15%" of each sections' problems blank!  So that means I can only leave 3 out of 30 empty?  That didn't sound right either.  Also, the proctor told us the test is graded accumulatively.  I've read here on this forum that isn't true...you "fail" one section and you fail the whole test. One Navy guy there even told us he heard if you answer 50% or more of the questions at at of 70% or better you pass! Huh?

I don't know.  I'm kind of bummed out obviously, but it would be nice if more information on this test came out or was at least more consistent.  I felt pretty confident in my answers, I wasn't guessing or feeling lost.  When I encountered a problem that gave me trouble I skipped it.  It also compounds things that i work in a Nuke plant and in a specific department that will never allow me to take the test again.  My friend had to bust serious balls just to get me in to take it this one time.  The other kick to the nuts was what Ive witnessed in a Nuke plant and my AO friend sees on a daily basis.  The test encourages rushing IMO.  At no point in time have I ever heard of someone needing to rush while doing their job in a Nuclear facility.  just seems like an odd test for an industry that beats into our heads: Slow down, review, peer checking, STAR, etc.. 

Thanks for hearing me out guys...any info, comments would be appreciated.

my name is.....

Re: My POSS failure and some conflicting info?
« Reply #224 on: Sep 30, 2011, 09:11 »
I cannot attest to the inconsistencies of the test and its grading structure, but I do know that it is done to see how well you perform under pressure and with time constraints. Just hypothetically speaking, if an issue occurs at a plant that needs immediate, quick and accurate actions to mitigate it, a facility would want individuals capable of performing in this manner.

The veterans will chime in and elaborate and hopefully give some useful insight on the test itself.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?