Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 314644 times)

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
Re: Just finished taking the MASS/POSS
« Reply #275 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:08 »
Got the results today, successful - Nuclear. Thanks for all the info on this site, it was very helpful.

MacGyver

« Reply #276 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:16 »
Got the results today, successful - Nuclear. Thanks for all the info on this site, it was very helpful.

Outstanding.  Start prep-in for an interview.  Again, nice job.

Willy

Re: Another POSS Experience
« Reply #277 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:30 »
B and Ceefroe are right on with their description of the poss test.  Thank you Nuke Worker for all the information.  I took the poss test this past week and passed it.  I am waiting now to see if I get an interview.  The math by far was the hardest subject.  My advice would be memorizing as many conversions as possible and work the problems from easiest to hardest.  I found the mechanical concepts to be harder than the practice test.  I thought the assemblies were going to be harder, but it was probably my strongest section.  The chart and graph you just have to find the strategies that work best for you and do it fast.  I used my spare pencil as a straight edge for the chart.  The reading, read fast.  I am a slow reader and found myself taking too much time and thankfully I adjusted.   Last of all, practicing with the timer made a world of difference.  The timer during the test goes off faster than you think it will.  Thanks again everyone.

Willy 

Offline MacGyverFan1

• Light User
My POSS/BMST test Exelon experience
« Reply #278 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:34 »
30% of the new selected hires failed these tests.  So don't stress out or waste too much time studying, seems the only true purpose these exams serve is to waste your day. 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: My POSS/BMST test Exelon experience
« Reply #279 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:48 »
No, they're used as an indicator of future success. Before utilities used them, they would hire any guy off the street, sometimes to the detriment of the plant, the guy, or both

Though not a perfect system, they do serve a purpose, and they are good at weeding out non hackers.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline MacGyverFan1

• Light User
« Reply #280 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:58 »
By using the industries own standard regarding the POSS/BMST, a large percentage of new hires shouldn't have even been invited back to interview, yet were offered a job.  So if with what Higgs stated is true, the test is not functioning in "weeding out non hackers" or something else is at play, nepotism, favoritism.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 05:59 by QCExelonSRO »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #281 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:20 »
By using the industries own standard regarding the POSS/BMST, a large percentage of new hires shouldn't have even been invited back to interview, yet were offered a job.  So if with what Higgs stated is true, the test is not functioning in "weeding out non hackers" or something else is at play, nepotism, favoritism.

I misread your first post, I didn't realize that you actually hired failures. That being the case, then I agree with you, your company is wasting your time with them.

My utility doesn't do that.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #282 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:02 »
There's always the training pipeline during the probation period...

MacGyver

« Reply #283 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:10 »
30% of the new selected hires failed these tests.  So don't stress out or waste too much time studying, seems the only true purpose these exams serve is to waste your day.  

Does this mean you were offered a job as a NLO @ quad cities or were you turned down?

Also, if you are looking for a NLO job with this experience

I'm an engineering technician, past twelve years been working with substation digital fault recorders. I hold an AAS degree in electronics engineering and a BS degree in biology.

Unfortunately I am tied down to the area because my wife is employed here and it would be even more difficult for her to find a job elsewhere.  I'm willing to do the commute to Byron and have applied to several postings but never heard anything back.

Why are you changing your name from klink to QCEXcelonSRO?

Mac
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 08:12 by MacGyver »

MacGyver

« Reply #284 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:23 »

Still curious if you got an offer extended.  But, heck I figure you did not receive one hence the bitterness (i.e. nepotism, favoritism,,, sic).

Its just free advice but if it was me I wouldn't make such remarks on an open forum that HR might visit.  It would be really easy to put 2 & 2 together.

Jus sayin,,, It's your call.

Mac

Offline MacGyverFan1

• Light User
« Reply #285 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:24 »
The reason I changed my username is because it is irrelevant to this topic. Which still remains, a large percentage of operator hires failed the poss/bmst.   Does this suggest nepotism or favoritism?  Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't look good. 

In the end like I stated in the op,  there is no reason for stressing over these tests.

I would not work for a company if they made firing or hiring decisions based off of comments on a mb but Exelon hr is welcome to contact me and we will discuss the reasoning for circumventing their hiring process. 

MacGyver

« Reply #286 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:30 »
The reason I changed my username is because it is irrelevant to this topic. Which still remains, a large percentage of operator hires failed the poss/bmst.   Does this suggest nepotism or favoritism?  Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't look good. 

In the end like I stated in the op,  there is no reason for stressing over these tests.

I would not work for a company if they made firing or hiring decisions based off of comments on a mb but Exelon hr is welcome to contact me and we will discuss the reasoning for circumventing their hiring process. 

And you know this how (re: new hires failing test / circumventing of hiring practices)?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #287 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:57 »
The reason I changed my username is because it is irrelevant to this topic. Which still remains, a large percentage of operator hires failed the poss/bmst. 

That statement kinda looks...fishy...  ::)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #288 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:19 »
The reason I changed my username is because it is irrelevant to this topic. Which still remains, a large percentage of operator hires failed the poss/bmst.   Does this suggest nepotism or favoritism?  Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't look good.  

In the end like I stated in the op,  there is no reason for stressing over these tests.

You're only talking about one utility. Therefore your claims that a large amount of operators are failing, yet being hired, is erroneous, at best.

Why should we take your word for it, anyway?

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013, 10:59 by Higgs »

MacGyver

« Reply #289 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:07 »
You're only talking about one utility. Therefore your claims that a large amount of operators are failing, yet being hired, is erroneous, at best.

Why should we take your word for it, anyway?

Justin

Come on Justin you know that you can't put something on the internet if it isn't true,,,,  :P

MacGyver

« Reply #290 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:20 »

I would not work for a company if they made firing or hiring decisions based off of comments on a mb but Exelon hr is welcome to contact me and we will discuss the reasoning for circumventing their hiring process

Well this may be but you have a much smaller pool of companies to choose from now more than ever.  This, to my knowledge, is now common practice.  As it should be.

But, I believe you feel you are owed an explanation from Exelon to explain themselves when it is obvious you just didn't make the cut.  And now feel it necessary to make excuses for you lack of success.

To me, Exelon got it right by not hiring you.

[2cents]

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #291 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:44 »
If you can't pass the POSS and BMST your day isn't worth that much anyway. No big deal if its wasted.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #292 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:09 »
If you can't pass the POSS and BMST your day isn't worth that much anyway. No big deal if its wasted.

Well said. ;)

Justin

Offline MacGyverFan1

• Light User
« Reply #293 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:02 »
I passed the poss/bmst, I was also offered a job.  My concern, the topic of this post is several hires failed the tests.

It is unfortunate that Higgs and Mac have chosen to attack me.  I am concerned for mine and everyone else's safety that the industry is hiring people that can't comprehend 8th grade math. 

MacGyver

« Reply #294 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:12 »
I passed the poss/bmst, I was also offered a job.  My concern, the topic of this post is several hires failed the tests.

It is unfortunate that Higgs and Mac have chosen to attack me.  I am concerned for mine and everyone else's safety that the industry is hiring people that can't comprehend 8th grade math. 

Attacked me (sic) (i.e. you), no.  Challenged you, yes.

Get used to it, if infact you got an offer, because it's the nuclear safety culture that suffers when you act like a victim.

Mac

MacGyver

« Reply #295 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:37 »

I am concerned for mine and everyone else's safety that the industry is hiring people that can't comprehend 8th grade math. 

To anyone reading this thread that thinks this poster is telling you the truth.  He isn't.

No US Nuclear Co interviews much less hires anyone that fails to meet their standard minimum test requirements.

Even if someone had been hired that doesn't (hypothetically) that doesn't mean we don't continually test them as well.  The industry used to not perform entry / new hire testing and our safety hasn't suffered.  This is due to the ongoing training and testing.  If you can't make the grade in initial or continued training you will be given a second chance at that test and then asked to leave if unsuccessful.

What I am concerned about is how MacGyverFan1 will pass the MMPI.  Only a really sick person would change his screen name to that of another user's with the addition of Fan1 of the person trying to get clarification from him.  That is truly concerning.

I don't believe the author / op.  I don't believe was given an offer.  I don't believe his claim of 30% of the new hires failing their poss/bmst.

We value our processes and our safety when we hire folks.

Just so you know we aren't cutting corners.  We earn the trust of the public every day.  And are not going to cut corners for anyone.

Mac

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #296 on: Mar 01, 2013, 11:22 »
Attacked me (sic) (i.e. you), no.  Challenged you, yes.

Get used to it, if infact you got an offer, because it's the nuclear safety culture that suffers when you act like a victim.

Mac

His posts are fishy...,

Justin

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #297 on: Mar 21, 2013, 10:33 »
We've posted on how "we" believe it's scored in the past.  If you need help finding those threads let us know & maybe we can find them for you.

When you get your results give us an update.

Mac

Hi Mac,

I'd be interested and need a little help finding the threads you mentioned.  I passed the POSS for one company and another company said I need to retake it for them.  I wasn't aware that different companies required different scores and I'm curious as to how it may be graded.  I'm keeping my head up but I've had 3 interviews and I wasn't hired for any of them.  At those times I didn't have a degree in anything, I have now been in school that is linked to a companies operator program and the degree is Engineering Technology with a focus on Nuclear Power.  I'm hoping that having a degree will get me over the hump I have had, I've still been applying for jobs though.  Thanks for your time!

Willy

« Reply #298 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:05 »
I don't know if I would waste my time trying to figure out how the test is graded.  There are a lot of different opinions on that one.  If you have passed it before, then keep doing what you are doing. 

If you take the POSS for one company and then apply for another company you usually have to take the test again. 

If you have been invited for three different interviews, maybe your interview skills need a little work.  I am not trying to be critical but half the fight is getting the interview, because if you didn't have the minimum requirements you would not have been invited.  However, college is a good thing and can only help.  Good luck.     

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #299 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:23 »
I'm also in school for an energy tech degree. We took the test at school proctored by our sponsor company. They said their company has the highest standard for POSS/nuclear, that other companies may not require the score they do.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?