Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 314649 times)

Offline amesolut

• Very Lite User
Took POSS in 2001; DTE states it was the POSS "B" test?
« Reply #300 on: Apr 06, 2013, 08:50 »
I am a Sr FOT with 12 yrs exp and took the POSS in 2001.  I signed a release for DTE to check my results and was informed that it was the POSS "B" test that I took so I am off to Detroit to take the POSS again.  I've been reading the posts so I understand that each company can be different but has anyone ever heard the POSS B verbiage before?  Also is there are any Ops out there that are with DTE, what kind of a company are there to work for?  Looking into the Belle/St. Clair plants in East China.  Thanks.

MacGyver

Re: Took POSS in 2001; DTE states it was the POSS "B" test?
« Reply #301 on: Apr 06, 2013, 10:10 »
I am a Sr FOT with 12 yrs exp and took the POSS in 2001.  I signed a release for DTE to check my results and was informed that it was the POSS "B" test that I took so I am off to Detroit to take the POSS again.  I've been reading the posts so I understand that each company can be different but has anyone ever heard the POSS B verbiage before?  Also is there are any Ops out there that are with DTE, what kind of a company are there to work for?  Looking into the Belle/St. Clair plants in East China.  Thanks.

From my understanding EEI only uses two different POSS/MASS tests.  This has been the case for a long time.

I can't recall if those tests are marked A and B.

I do know that sometimes utilities will only offer the POSS or the MASS.  It could be the job you applied for that determined the test they offered.  In that case it could be your previous utility only tested on one or the other.

Do you recall if you took the long math section at the end?

As for the rest, I don't know.

As you should know the EEI POSS/MASS test gets easier each time it's taken.  
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 10:12 by MacGyver »

Offline amesolut

• Very Lite User
« Reply #302 on: Apr 06, 2013, 05:26 »
Thanks for the info.  I'm not so sure it will be easier only because it's been 12 years; I was only 36 years old and I am nearing 50 so the gray matter isn't working like it did..  at least I know what to expect.

And yes, there was a long math portion at the end.

MacGyver

« Reply #303 on: Apr 06, 2013, 09:06 »
Thanks for the info.  I'm not so sure it will be easier only because it's been 12 years; I was only 36 years old and I am nearing 50 so the gray matter isn't working like it did..  at least I know what to expect.

And yes, there was a long math portion at the end.

Sounds like you took the POSS/MASS.  I can't say what POSS B (sic) means.  Maybe if asked them they might be in a generous mood and tell ya what it all means.

Oh, don't worry about your age.  Just get a good nights rest.  I know you'll do fine.

Mac

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #304 on: Apr 06, 2013, 10:19 »
The POSS B test results are weighed for Fossil operations.  Nuclear utilities go by what is referred to as the POSS C.  It is the same exact test with overlapping sections as the MASS.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Online ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #305 on: Apr 07, 2013, 10:09 »
This is what I've heard also.

Offline amesolut

• Very Lite User
« Reply #306 on: Apr 07, 2013, 11:08 »
The POSS B test results are weighed for Fossil operations.  Nuclear utilities go by what is referred to as the POSS C.  It is the same exact test with overlapping sections as the MASS.

That's good to know although I'm not sure why they would want the POSS A (HR used this term) since I am applying for another Fossil position.

And thanks about the age thing.  Guess I just need a larger dose of self confidence.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #307 on: Apr 08, 2013, 09:05 »
Heading for Belle River or St. Clair?
LM

Offline cole256

• Light User
Re: Just finished taking the MASS/POSS
« Reply #308 on: Jun 07, 2013, 06:55 »
Well I received my results and I passed for this company!!  I'm pretty excited about it since it was the sponsor company linked to my school. I also heard that this particular company had one of the highest if not the highest standard for nuclear. I have now passed it for three different companies so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on how to take it now. 

Just wanted to thank everybody that offered advice on this site about taking the test, I'm very grateful!

Offline 03machstock

• Very Lite User
Just took the Poss/Mass
« Reply #309 on: Jun 29, 2013, 03:15 »
Just finished up taking the poss/mass test and the thing that really worries me was the table section.  We had 60 questions and i believe 4 minutes to complete them.  I only completed 36.  Is this enough assuming that i got all 36 correct?  I feel that i was moving at a decent pace. Most people around me got a couple more or a couple less.  The only thing i could have done different was that i second guessed myself for a second but i could not have lost more than 3 or 4 problems doing such.  The graphs part of that section was challenging as well.  I believe i got 20 out of 24 in 4 minutes on that.

Online ddickey

• Moderate User
Re: Just took the Poss/Mass
« Reply #310 on: Jun 29, 2013, 04:43 »
Yes.

Offline 03machstock

• Very Lite User
« Reply #311 on: Jun 29, 2013, 05:58 »
Thanks, that will atleast let me sleep a little bit better until i get my results.

Fermi2

« Reply #312 on: Jun 29, 2013, 07:30 »
Yes.

You cannot possibly know that.

Offline 03machstock

• Very Lite User
« Reply #313 on: Jun 29, 2013, 09:46 »
Damn.  Do you know the answer broadzilla?

Online ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #314 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:43 »
You cannot possibly know that.
You are correct. I misread his post. I thought he said 36 out of forty.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #315 on: Jun 30, 2013, 12:40 »
We had 60 questions and i believe 4 minutes to complete them.  I only completed 36.  Is this enough assuming that i got all 36 correct?  I feel that i was moving at a decent pace. Most people around me got a couple more or a couple less

Part 1. 36 out of 60, even if all 36 were correct (and we know what happens when we assume...), won't be a great score on that section.

Part 2. Most people don't pass the POSS test, so if your scores are comfortably close to everyone else in the room...you were TOO comfortable. IIRC from a former plant, there were about 200 POSS takers to get ~50 passing, urinalysis weeded out a few, and they ended up hiring 15 ex-Navy nukes and a handful of college kids. Hopefully the numbers work differently in your favor. If not, practice the weak sections until you improve!

Offline 03machstock

• Very Lite User
« Reply #316 on: Jun 30, 2013, 07:59 »
So when you say wont be a great score, does that mean no hope of passing?

ScarKnight821

My POSS/BMST experience
« Reply #317 on: Jul 03, 2013, 01:28 »
First off I want to thank everyone who posted their POSS test experience.  This forum truly helped me out so I promised myself I'd give back to those that seek help from these forums.  Ok now on to business.  I took the POSS/BMST test last week and passed both.  The first section was assembly.  It is not much different from the practice tests except for a couple being a bit harder.  We had 10 minutes to solve 20 questions.  I answered the first 16 and then time was up so I was forced to leave the last four blank. The next section was mechanical concepts in which we had to answer like 44 problems in 20 minutes.  This section was the same as the practice test and shouldn't be a problem for anyone who has an electrical/mechanical engineering background or anyone who has taken physics 1 which covers the basics of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, rotational motion, moments, etc.  I finished the section with some time to spare and had to take "educated guesses" on about 5 problems I felt iffy on.  My advice on guessing is if you answered the majority of the problems with confidence and you left lets say 5 blank then why not guess.  You either have a 1/3 or 1/2 shot so go for it.  Now excuse my lack for better words but this next section really sucks.  The section I'm of course speaking of is the dreaded tables and graphs.  I went in cold for this section.  I imagine that everyone that is invited to take this test can read data from a table or graph so that isn't the issue for this section.  This section is about straight up speed.  There shouldn't really be many errors.  I was able to finish 54 out of the 60 on the table section.  We were given 5 minutes.  Now the graph section gets a little confusing so be a bit careful because the lines do overlap a lot.  I was able to finish 18 out of the 24 questions we had to answer in 4 minutes.  If you don't finish no need to worry.  I only finished 75% of the graphs and was still able to pass.  The next section, Reading Comprehension, was by far the easiest.  4 passages, 36 questions, 30 minutes.  Really simple.  Most people with an Mechanical Engineering background can answer most of the questions without reading the passage since they dealt with viscosity, pressure measurement techniques, and heat transfer.  This part is identical to the practice tests.  Now the Math section was 47 questions with 17 minutes to answer them.  If you pride yourself on your ability to quickly solve basic math problems in your head then you have no worries for this sections.  For those of you who do not I implore you to skip the conversion part completely and do the simple (and when I say simple I mean SIMPLE) algebra problems.  Get those small fries out of the way.  Then do the world problems which again are not very hard but take a little bit more time.  Now take care of the easy conversions and if time allows you take care of the harder ones.  I was able to finish this section completely feeling pretty confident in every answer.  Oh and also do not be afraid to pick "N" as your answer.  There were about 4 or 5 "N" answers on my test. That's my POSS test breakdown.  I'm sorry I can't tell you how it's graded because I truly don't know.  The proctor kinda hinted towards not guessing.  I honestly didn't get a chance to even guess aside from a few problems on the mechanical concepts but if I were to be be 100% honest I'd tell you I would guess.  My mentality is if I answered enough with confidence I don't care if I have a couple wrong.  I mean if they do penalize you for wrong answers who cares if you truly believe you got that many more right and if they don't then hey you might just get some more right.  Just my two cents I know not everyone thinks like I do.

As for the BMST its really a you know it or you don't exam.  90 problems in 3 hours.  Simple kinematic physics such as this guy gets a 200 ft headstart and runs at 2 mph while a second guy runs at 5mph how long till they travel the same distance.  Some trig, basic chem like periodic table stuff, more algebra.  Remember SOHCAHTOA.

Well that's it I hope this helps someone out there who is eagerly waiting to take their POSS test.  Good Luck to you all

Offline UbiquitousMortal

• Lurker
Re: My POSS/BMST experience
« Reply #318 on: Sep 06, 2013, 06:47 »
Hi,

Thanks for your post, I'm a first poster as I'm looking to get into the Nuclear Energy field. To be up front. I'm not looking for easy outs. Just targeted studying references. Is there anyone who could tell me what areas of Trig, Phys. and such to study? It's been awhile for college and high school for me and i'm afraid i am the guy that didn't keep text books. If anyone has practice problems or study guides that I could "re-edumacate" myself on I would greatly appreciate it! I have been taking the practice POSS test and find it pretty easy and like the example questions. I am primarily talking about the BMST test as that seems to be the bigger animal of the two.

Thanks in advance!

ski2313

« Reply #319 on: Sep 07, 2013, 02:05 »
Typically it's not the material that will trip you up on the POSS, as it's geared to be more of an aptitude test (relatively simple material).. The areas where people fail the exam (that are greatly overlooked) are as follows:

1. Skipping a question and "losing their place" on the bubble/answer sheet (poor placekeeping under pressure)
2. Too willing to fill in an answer to a question when unsure of the answer, for the sake of answering a higher number of questions (sacrificing accuracy for speed/quantity, which is a sure way to fail)
3. Not taking the exam seriously enough (no pass, no job)
4. Studying the material (important) but overlooking simple test taking skills under time pressure (ie practice with a stopwatch.. You should shoot for 100% correct answers and 90+% completed with each section when practicing).

My particular version of the test I took, the math section was multiple choice but always had "e. None of the above." for a possible answer. And I can tell you that 6 of the 60+ questions were actually none of the above. SOH-CAH-TOA should more than cover you for the Trig aspect.

Good luck!

Offline UbiquitousMortal

• Lurker
« Reply #320 on: Sep 07, 2013, 11:16 »
Typically it's not the material that will trip you up on the POSS, as it's geared to be more of an aptitude test (relatively simple material).. The areas where people fail the exam (that are greatly overlooked) are as follows:

1. Skipping a question and "losing their place" on the bubble/answer sheet (poor placekeeping under pressure)
2. Too willing to fill in an answer to a question when unsure of the answer, for the sake of answering a higher number of questions (sacrificing accuracy for speed/quantity, which is a sure way to fail)
3. Not taking the exam seriously enough (no pass, no job)
4. Studying the material (important) but overlooking simple test taking skills under time pressure (ie practice with a stopwatch.. You should shoot for 100% correct answers and 90+% completed with each section when practicing).

My particular version of the test I took, the math section was multiple choice but always had "e. None of the above." for a possible answer. And I can tell you that 6 of the 60+ questions were actually none of the above. SOH-CAH-TOA should more than cover you for the Trig aspect.

Good luck!

It really seems like SOHCAHTOA is the big key for the math. Thanks for the quick response!

Online ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #321 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:59 »
But one won't qualify you for the other. I took and passed the POSS C. Applied for a utility that required the POSS B and I have to retake the test.

Offline Athletix

• Very Lite User
Re: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection
« Reply #322 on: Oct 29, 2014, 01:58 »
Ok just took the test today so here is to a fresh review

Assembly- Answered 16-20
Got through this pretty quick then got hung up on a couple that really got my anxious when I couldn't solve them in 10-15 seconds
From browsing through the board I feel confident 16 out of 20 is enough, and I am also very confident in the ones I did answer. Throughout the test I went with quality when I could, I tried very hard to make sure it was correct and not just an educated guess.

Mechanical- Answered 42-44
Time was not an issue here. Like others have said you either know it or can work through it pretty quick. *Tip STUDY WATER FLOW MECHANICS! It was all over the test and had me stumped on a few

Tables and Graphs- Answered 53-60 & 21-24
Again I felt great about my answers and actually did better than all my practice runs. Note the graph and answers were all on the same 2 pages, so no flipping or time spent bubbling a separate answer sheet. More difficult than the practice test but I found this not too bad.

Reading- Answered 34-36
Didn't answer 2 because for some reason I blanked? Finished the others with about 5 minutes and I really took my time making sure I wasn't getting fooled

Math- Answered 29-44
Oh boy I believe my passing hinges on this and maybe the mechanical part. I'm not bad at math but I am bad about working problems out on scratch paper. I finished all the algebra problems in about 4-5 mins then went to conversions because alot of those were 1-2 steps.. The word problems took too much time for me, and I believe I only answered 2 or 3. I tallied it up at the end of the test and realized i failed to answer 15.. Again I believe all the ones I answered were good simply because I worked them out(which cost me time). However, I am rightfully concerned I may have not answered enough.
Conversions- harder than practice test
Algebra- easy some easier than practice test (DO THIS FIRST)
Word Problems- very similar to practice test, they required me to do a good bit of work..

We shall see how I did in about a week, I was encouraged by a couple guys I know who tested and was hired on at this particular plant. They seemed upbeat about my performance, but I am sincerely worried about the math..

Offline Athletix

• Very Lite User
« Reply #323 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:05 »
Got my results back, and I PASSED! Whew, I was legit stressed after getting home. I was second guessing my self big time, and I lost some hours of sleep. However, it looks like I was able to get past the major hurdle to a great career path.

This site is the sh*t... Without it I would have been a sheep sent to slaughter. I was prepared and went in knowing what to expect and how I was going to attack it.

Final thoughts.. Stay positive and study. The eei practice test will prepare you for all parts except Mechanical Concepts. This part was the only part that truly concerned me with my accuracy, and it was quite a bit more difficult than the practice tests.. Work fast, accurately, and don't guess wildly. I was only able to answer 2/3 of the math and it was enough. So, there must be some credence to blank answers not "hurting" the score.

Online ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #324 on: Nov 07, 2014, 06:40 »
I know an NLO who answered one math problem and passed at nuc level. Not sure which math section it was but I was very surprised to hear that. And of course I would never suggest you answer just one question.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?