Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 314674 times)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection
« Reply #350 on: Jul 12, 2019, 01:54 »
Don't forget to breathe while taking the test.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

TVA

« Reply #351 on: Jul 12, 2019, 04:25 »
Hey all, current Exelon employee taking the POSS/BMST at the end of the month for Exelon for entry-level EO, I assume this is the POSS B test that is a little easier if I'm understanding correctly, but can't be sure of that.

Bit of background about me: Took the ASVAB back in 2012 and scored a 93 with no practice whatsoever. Math was never my strongest subject but I'm picking it back up relatively quickly and feel my knowledge of Mechanical Systems is plenty strong, same with Reading Comprehension. Figural Reasoning will likely take some more practice on my part, but I'm still doing /alright/ on the practice from EEI.

I've taken the tests from EEI and frequently score above 85-90%. I have not been given study materials from HR as of yet despite my testing date being announced. This forum has been exceedingly helpful in what to expect but would like a little specific insight if possible. I've read in a few threads that simple calculators are being allowed on the test now, that said also seen recent comments that state long-division/decimal multiplication is necessary to succeed and would like some clarification from anyone that's taken it recently. Also there's no Graphs and Tables section in EEI but I assume this is still part of the test?

Either way, I intend to follow frequent advice and skip difficult questions in favor of easier ones and return to harder ones should time allow. I'd appreciate any further advice anyone could give me!

Jesus christ did you read my post?

GUESS

Offline AmmonSalmo

• Light User
« Reply #352 on: Jul 13, 2019, 12:43 »
Guys,

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the POSS. This. Forum. Works.

Initial Conditions: Navy Nuke, ETN1, EWS qualified, Upper/Upper, researched NW.com and took 2 weeks time before the test to practice online

Really hope you get to see this before you post something like 'where can I find --- on Nukeworker.com??'

Consider google and the search bar above your first behavioral competency test. The most helpful people are those who can help themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, I know plenty of Navy Nukes who actually won't pass this even if I force fed the practice tests to them. Some of you may have been told you were 'very bright' a couple too many times as a kid and let it get to your head. This is your second test - make an honest, true assessment of yourself and your ability to perform basic logic under pressure (time). Take the EEI practice tests like the real deal and face your weaknesses brutally and honestly. I was complete trash at the figural reasoning at first but just googled it and took every free practice test I saw.

They don't tell you your score at the end, only 'recommended' or 'not recommended', but I passed and really felt like I crushed it. Remember that the amount of questions you answer correctly is more important than answering the hard ones. So **SKIP HARD QUESTIONS**. Come back to them after you've make one round through the whole test.

If you get good at the online practice tests, you'll be good on the real deal. I actually felt the real one was way easier than some of the online ones, and I only had 4 questions unanswered through all the sections (yes, those were the hard ones I skipped and couldn't finish in time). The reading comprehension I started answering the questions immediately without reading the passage, only using it for reference - I finished that with what felt like 10 minutes to just casually go back over the passages twiddling my thumbs. Easy day.

Practice is confidence. Practice like you fight and you'll win this. Keep on steaming my fellow Nukes   -ETN1

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #353 on: Jul 13, 2019, 08:00 »
"Jesus christ did you read my post?"
He didnt need to, he was the first one to pass the exam. Mr.Peabody was 2nd, 3rd through 25th ex-ELTs, and then the rest.

TVA

« Reply #354 on: Jul 13, 2019, 09:55 »
The smartest man alive ( me ) has graded these tests.

GUESS! If you get 14/14 correct and the exam is looking for 15 answers the guy who gets 13 right wins.

I have coached 50 or 60 people to recommended scores after they received a not recommended.
I am an extremely proficient exam taker and more importantly have NEVER missed a question on any exam. Ever.

Here is a great tool that works.

Get an ASVAB book. Usually they have 10 to 15 exams.
Take exam 1. Time it.
Take exam 2 but give yourself 2 less minutes
Exam 3 with two less additional minutes
And so on.
It works. I guarantee it.

Ammo made an interesting point. Nearly 50% of the Navy nukes fail it and it has nothing to do about being dumb. Nearly all of them get every question they answer correct. They simply don’t answer enough questions. They want to analyze.
( Same with Navy Nukes in the commercial world when they take their first exams then most learn exam taking techniques and do fine. I teach exam techniques but dont use them at all. )

Reading comprehension kills Navy Nukes and here is why... They want to read the entire passage. Here is what you should do.
Go straight to the questions:
Question 1 will be in the first paragraph or sentence. ( If it has more than one paragraph 1 is in paragraph 1 )
Question 2 will be in the second sentence or paragraph. If it has paragraphs the answer will not be in paragraph 1.
And so on.
I have never read any entire paragraph on a POSS.
This way you get rid of fluff. You do not have to comprehend anything. You should answer more questions and get rid of frustration. The exam can be nerve racking.

I am actually helping a guy right now via email.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #355 on: Jul 13, 2019, 01:42 »

"The smartest man alive ( me ) has graded these tests."
It was always rumored in certain sci-fi circles that a Krell spore had made it back to earth with Commander Adams. As the Krell were a 2000 century old far superior race to man, a hitchhiker would be a distinct possibilty. Somehow a Khan /Krell hookup ensued, and the result was, well, you know who. Altair 4 is 17 light years away. Of course a Krell descendant who has never missed an exam question during their existence on earth would obviously know off the top of their conical head that that is 1.61 E17 meters or more obviously 9.1 E13 miles. As previously stated JC #1, Mr. Peabody#2, 22ELTs #3. Where the heck is the authority in the valley ?
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2019, 08:23 by fiveeleven »

TVA

« Reply #356 on: Jul 13, 2019, 01:50 »
Which doesnt change the fact I am the smartest person alive

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #357 on: Jul 13, 2019, 02:11 »
A truly gifted individual wouldn't have to keep telling everyone....it would just be obvious.  You can say it's all a joke...but most of us know better.

Offline xobxnuke

• Light User
  • it's coming, keep your powder dry
« Reply #358 on: Jul 13, 2019, 05:20 »
The smartest man alive ( me ) has graded these tests.

there is only one trump

and you aint fit to carry his water

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #359 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:25 »
Wow, this thread really went off the track and ended up in a cesspool.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #360 on: Jul 16, 2019, 10:46 »
Clean up in aisle 5, please!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #361 on: Jul 16, 2019, 01:55 »
"Wow, this thread really went off the track and ended up in a cesspool."
I guess after 12 yrs. and 15 pgs. of posts - that could happen. We've heard all about it, taken it, and  lived it locally, since its creation.Its unfair, its really hard, I am really smart but didnt pass it, most of it doesnt apply to what I will be doing, -yada yada. But fortunately -"I am the smartest of all time"- I can help you pass it, but if not, you can be on the Crew team at a D1 college of your choice.(Rowing experience n/a).If not for the ability to travel down a tangent path - why bother ? The end products in cesspools can be heavily influenced by the goes inta. Rattlesnakes, whiskey and yellow cake - go figure.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #362 on: Jul 16, 2019, 03:40 »
" Rattlesnakes, whiskey and yellow cake - go figure.
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #363 on: Jul 16, 2019, 04:19 »
.......Rattlesnakes, whiskey and yellow cake - go figure.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline remaining

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #364 on: Aug 12, 2019, 11:20 »
Just took the exam recently. The test I took was the POSS C. I received a score of "recommend". For MY exam a wrong or guess answer is NOT held against you, it states this in the exam instructions.

EXAM:

The hardest part about the exam is the time constraint. The questions are not very difficult, provided you dedicated time for studying.

The figural reasoning (abstract reasoning if you're googling for study material) was the toughest section by far. I answered question number 9 or 12 (can't remember which one) before I saw that I only had about 30 seconds left on the exam. So I blindly chose an answer for the remaining unanswered questions. I believe the ones I actually answered were correct. So I got 9 or 12 out of 20 correct. (but who knows!)

I answered all questions on the reading and comprehension section. I had about 3 minutes left to spare. I believe I answered all 36 out of 36 questions correctly.

I answered all questions on the mechanical section, but just barely, as I answered my last question I had less than 10 seconds to answer. Of the 44 questions I believe I answered 39 correct.

I answered all question on the Math section, same story as the mechanical section where I barely had enough time to answer all questions. Of the 46 questions, I believe I answered all 46 correct.

The questions on the exam are not difficult if you STUDY. The hardest part is keeping track of the time. The figural reasoning is the hardest as its a different logical thought process than most of us are used to. There is also lots of different things going on, so it is hard to focus on deducing one rule at a time. My suggestion is to study this section the most. The eei practice test gives you a good IDEA of the kinds of problems that will be on there. The exam itself is a degree harder. To prepare I googled and took every exam that came up in a google search. This is key to make you quicker too. I always reviewed EVERY question while studying, weather it was a right or wrong answer. This just reinforces your knowledge. Another tip for finding exams is to google things like "mechanical aptitude test" "abstract reasoning test" "Fast math test" "Basic math test" "math job test exam" "reading and comprehension exam" "Diagrammatic reasoning test" "Figural reasoning test". I googled this and much more and took every test I could find.

I knew when I left the exam that if I failed it was because of the figural reasoning portion. All other sections I felt confident in my responses and was able to answer each question. This exam was difficult due to the time factor. While taking it I had tunnel vision and answers were just coming out of me and before I knew it it was over. I was hyper focused on the task at hand.

That was my experience and reflection. If you have questions feel free to ask me but I won't disclose much more than what I already have.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2019, 11:21 by remaining »

TVA

« Reply #365 on: Aug 12, 2019, 11:44 »
Just took the exam recently. The test I took was the POSS C. I received a score of "recommend". For MY exam a wrong or guess answer is NOT held against you, it states this in the exam instructions.

EXAM:

The hardest part about the exam is the time constraint. The questions are not very difficult, provided you dedicated time for studying.

The figural reasoning (abstract reasoning if you're googling for study material) was the toughest section by far. I answered question number 9 or 12 (can't remember which one) before I saw that I only had about 30 seconds left on the exam. So I blindly chose an answer for the remaining unanswered questions. I believe the ones I actually answered were correct. So I got 9 or 12 out of 20 correct. (but who knows!)

I answered all questions on the reading and comprehension section. I had about 3 minutes left to spare. I believe I answered all 36 out of 36 questions correctly.

I answered all questions on the mechanical section, but just barely, as I answered my last question I had less than 10 seconds to answer. Of the 44 questions I believe I answered 39 correct.

I answered all question on the Math section, same story as the mechanical section where I barely had enough time to answer all questions. Of the 46 questions, I believe I answered all 46 correct.

The questions on the exam are not difficult if you STUDY. The hardest part is keeping track of the time. The figural reasoning is the hardest as its a different logical thought process than most of us are used to. There is also lots of different things going on, so it is hard to focus on deducing one rule at a time. My suggestion is to study this section the most. The eei practice test gives you a good IDEA of the kinds of problems that will be on there. The exam itself is a degree harder. To prepare I googled and took every exam that came up in a google search. This is key to make you quicker too. I always reviewed EVERY question while studying, weather it was a right or wrong answer. This just reinforces your knowledge. Another tip for finding exams is to google things like "mechanical aptitude test" "abstract reasoning test" "Fast math test" "Basic math test" "math job test exam" "reading and comprehension exam" "Diagrammatic reasoning test" "Figural reasoning test". I googled this and much more and took every test I could find.

I knew when I left the exam that if I failed it was because of the figural reasoning portion. All other sections I felt confident in my responses and was able to answer each question. This exam was difficult due to the time factor. While taking it I had tunnel vision and answers were just coming out of me and before I knew it it was over. I was hyper focused on the task at hand.

That was my experience and reflection. If you have questions feel free to ask me but I won't disclose much more than what I already have.

Imagine me being right again

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #366 on: Aug 12, 2019, 12:52 »
Too bad you are wrong almost as much as you are right.  Definitely don't need an imagination for that.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #367 on: Aug 12, 2019, 04:18 »
This is the Central Scrutinizer. Joe has worked himself into an imaginary frenzy during the fade out of his imaginary song. He begins to feel depressed now. He knows the end is near. He has realized at last that imaginary guitar notes and imaginary vocals exist only in the mind of the imaginer. And ultimately who gives a puck anyway. So he goes back to his ugly little control room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo... or perhaps his last imaginary act of greatness....
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2019, 07:14 by fiveeleven »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?