Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any words of encouragement  

Poll

I have an interview next week for a Chem. Tech position, does anyone have any advice or words of encouragement?

none
3 (60%)
none
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Any words of encouragement  (Read 36788 times)

tamika256

Any words of encouragement
« on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:00 »
I know I'm over reacting, but i am pretty nervous about this interview.  HELP!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: Any words of encouragement
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:10 »
Always put your best foot foward. Try to relax and be yourself. Be on time!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

justatech

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:20 »
If you haven't already - research the company. How many other companies are included under the Corporate umbrella, what type of accomplishments the company has had things of that nature.

Make sure you have an answer to where you want to be in 5 years - your professional goals with the company. Every company seems to be stuck on the question.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2008, 06:07 »
Ask them plenty of questions, it is as much your interview as it is theirs and it lets them know that they are getting a thinking, intelligent human that may have something to add and not just a droid that follows instructions for the sake of following instructions. Good luck!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2008, 11:26 »
Pray, get a goods night sleep, and remember they asked YOU for the interview so impress them, then make them impress you.

tamika256

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 12:30 »
None of you had to even respond to my message, but you did.  I thank you all, very much.

StevenPeck

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008, 03:40 »
The worst thing that can happen is you not getting the job.  There will always be other jobs if you do not accept or are not accepted for the position.  Relax, showup early, and act like somebody raised you right.

Dependability, loyalty, ability, finesse, and willingness to learn mean almost everything these days.  If you have shortcomings from your past, be ready with honest answers and genuine corrections you have taken.  Portray yourself as the most active seeker for the position:  have criteria for why you want it, how you will proceed, what you will do to put yourself at a higher standard above everyone else, and why you want to work for the company if asked.

Good Luck
 :)

tamika256

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008, 02:23 »
Tomorrow's the big day wish me luckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk ;D ;D

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2008, 02:28 »
Good Luck 8) :)
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:48 »
Hope you make it!!! Knock em dead!!! (not literally of course, but you know, Ill just shutup now)

tamika256

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:10 »
WHY DOES IT SEEM AS THOUGH EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG?? I HAVE WAITED 2 WEEKS FOR THIS INTERVIEW AND THEN I GO, AND IT WASN'T COMMUNICATED TO ME THAT THE TIME HAD BEEN CHANGED TO 9AM INSTEAD OF 11AM.  SO I WENT THERE ALL DRESSED UP, JUST FOR NOTHING, AND IT WASN'T EVEN MY FAULT.  NOW INSTEAD OF GOING TO DRESDEN TO INTERVIEW WITH THE LAB MANAGER, I KNOW HAVE TO GO TO BRAIDWOOD TO INTERVIEW WITH A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.  I TRY SOOOO HARD, AND IT SEEMS LIKE THINGS JUST GET MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT.  IF I WOULD'VE INTERVIEWED AT DRESDEN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN AT AN ADVANTAGE. NOW I GET LUMPED IN WITH EVERYONE ELSE, AND NOW SOMEONE'S ELSES VIEW OF ME WILL DETERMINE MY FAIT. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:46 »
That is a shame, but welcome to the world of nuclear power and dealing with HR groups at big utilities. Don't let it get you down too much or discourage you from trying. Once you get past HR, things will change... either for the better or for the worse.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:04 »
Im sorry to hear that.  Yah you gotta love the nuke world HR.  Dont worry though Ive been waiting for an interview since last november (which I did have one for security, which I didnt really want, and was turned down.  Just because you ask how easy it would be to get some plutonium or uranium for the house to cut down on heating they just looked at me. ???), but Im now trying other plants cause Im sick of waiting on this one. 

Youll get that job.  Keep your chin up and remeber youve got friends out here in the cyber world thinkin of ya. ;)

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2008, 04:51 »
Tamika:

It is crappy that they changed the interview time without telling you, but perhaps that was Fate's way of telling you that the job at Dresden was not "a good fit".

tamika256

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2008, 02:04 »
Well, I had the interview.  I don't think that I did well, but it's finally over.  God knows what he has in store for me, and I hope it's something special.  I thank you all for your support and suggestions.

tamika256

« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2008, 08:01 »
Well, It will have been a month since my interview this coming Friday.  I left a message with the recruiter about 3 weeks after the interview, but neither her nor her manager have gotten back to me.  I'm guessing that it's just going to take a while before I hear back.  So, I'll just continue to hold on and hope that I get the job. 

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2008, 09:07 »
Hey Tamika,
dont worry, Ive been waiting for almost a year and things keep getting delayed.  Your turn will come sooner than mine just hang in there.  Psalms 27:14

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2008, 09:11 »
tamika and PRESGROVE, PM me, tell me how you're approaching your job search and interviews. Maybe I can help you, I'm something like 9/9 with helping people get what they want jobwise.

Mike

stownsend

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2008, 02:48 »
tamika and PRESGROVE, PM me, tell me how you're approaching your job search and interviews. Maybe I can help you, I'm something like 9/9 with helping people get what they want jobwise.

Mike
hey Mike
You just went way up on my scale of admiration, (not that it means anything but) not many people would offer this. i hope they take you up on it.

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:21 »
hey Mike
You just went way up on my scale of admiration, (not that it means anything but) not many people would offer this. i hope they take you up on it.

Thank you very very much, believe it or not your opinion is appreciated very much.

PRESGROVE, I got your PM. I'm thinking about what you wrote. Sorry it's taking me a couple days to get back. I've been on shift!

Mike

tamika256

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2008, 01:21 »
Well, the job posting came down over the weekend.  So, I assume that they have their list made.  But I emailed the recruiter, and she still hasn't responded to me.  I would really like to get an answer one way or the other.  Even a letter. Something?????

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2008, 02:10 »
tamika256,

No answer....is an Answer.  It appears that you have placed all the proverbial eggs in one basket.  I'd suggest a more diversified approach in future job searches. 

RG

cbguy

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2010, 12:42 »
tamika256 this just might have been a way of seeing how you would respond to stress.  Maybe not.  But if I had my choice Braidwood would be my choice over Dresden hands down.

You will find that the interviews that you think went well never work out and the ones that you think that you bombed or aren’t sure about are the ones that work out.

Sometimes it takes a while for a company to get back to you about the results of a job, but don’t hold your breath keep looking at other opportunities.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2010, 08:33 »
Tamika... Learn learn learn.

The interview and hiring process is sometimes a journey!  It's a skill that can be practiced and improved upon.  Every interview you go to should make you better at the next one.. I'm sure there might have been a couple questions on your last interview that you were unprepared for.. OK, so next time, you'll have your answers to those questions rehearsed and down pat!  After a couple interviews the nervousness decreases, but the adrenaline is always there, making you sit a little straighter, focusing your attention!  Just keep practicing.

And from your first encounter with HR... I hope you called and confirmed on the second interview, and from all future interviews.  Should you have to do this?  Prob not, but whether HR screws you, or it's your own mistake, the results are the same. 

So, leave nothing for chance, maximize every opportunity, and keep working at it...  It's a hard job, this business of getting a job!

Bill

Willy

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 05:43 »
The last interview I had, the plant did not know I was coming for the interview.  I corporate office set the interview up.  I showed up ready for the interview and they looked at me like I was crazy, after a few phone calls they put together a few guys to interview me.   I thought it went well, but did not get the job.  O well just keep trying and learning from past experience. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?