Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Article: A jobs boom is shaking nuclear industry honeypot

Author Topic: Article: A jobs boom is shaking nuclear industry  (Read 29318 times)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Article: A jobs boom is shaking nuclear industry
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34 »
I'm just a measly little college kid here, but are there actually engineering jobs at plants were there is hands on along with the engineering.  As you were saying, there are people that go straight to a desk job sans hand on.  Already in college I have found people who know theory but have no idea of how it works.  But in the end, my question is how valuable is it to know both the engineering topics, and still be able to turn a wrench?

Brian

It's extremely valuable if you have a hands on knowledge.  The best engineers are able to communicate to the craft if they all speak the same language as far as nomenclature and such.  However, don't count on actually having much hands on work as that is what the craft is there for.  You'll have their respect and cooperation when you're able to demonstrate that you can not only tell them what to do but if necessary how to actually do it.  From a craft perspective I'd love to see more with that ability.  Cuts down the frustration factor exponentially.

Best of luck,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 04:37 »
But in the end, my question is how valuable is it to know both the engineering topics, and still be able to turn a wrench?

PRICELESS!

Experience is Knowledge!

Knowledge is not Experience!

Think about it!   ;)

Have a Great One, RG!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 08:38 »
But in the end, my question is how valuable is it to know both the engineering topics, and still be able to turn a wrench?

At the risk of over-confirming (I just made that up) I will chime in and agree with all of my predecessors... there is no substitute for hands-on, and it extends to ALL fields. I was a Radiation Protection Instructor who worked my way up through the technician ranks and worked beside another instructor who had just graduated with a Masters Degree in Health Physics. We were both qualified to teach Theory, but he was not allowed to teach anything of a 'practical' nature (job coverage or other task oriented subjects.) He taught the theory part well and was a good instructor, but he never gained the respect of the techs he was teaching because he had not 'been there' to put the theory to work. He decided to get some practical experience and was dismayed to find out he had to do his time as a junior tech before he got to work as a senior.

Education is a great foundation, but it is insufficient by itself.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 10:33 »
I started a new job with a utility last January as a 48 year old with 25 years experience and no degree. 
I do believe though, that the industry on the whole is putting too much emphasis on education and not enough on experience.  In other words I was lucky to find the right circumstance at the right time.
How staffing issues unfold over the next 10 - 15 years will be interesting.  There are plenty here looking to retire in less than 10 years.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Brian

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 07:58 »
How staffing issues unfold over the next 10 - 15 years will be interesting.  There are plenty here looking to retire in less than 10 years.

Right now, that is the wave that I want to ride out of college.  The way that I see things is that people are always going to need their energy, so this is by no means a dying industry.

Brian

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 09:22 »
I agree whole heartedly with Brian.  Everyone needs power and we can only hope that nuke will be there.  I can only  pray that our local plant starts hiring for ops again soon.  I enjoy nuclear pharmacy but I'd rather be in a plant. ::)

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 08:07 »
This is the first time in 29 years of not working in a plant and so far I am very happy.  No evenings, no OCC, no weekends, no EPlan coverage and not having to cover for some other department's planner who wouldn't/couldn't do his or her job.
LM

Beam

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29 »
Ok, we all seem to agree that experience is valuable, but on the flipside of that, how important is it to have a degree? I'm getting out of the Navy after 8 years, two of which I was a Staff Pickup at Prototype. I have a BS in HR management, but from the people I've talked to that are out of the Navy, and have been out at least 8 years, it sounds like an enginering degree is necessary. Any thoughts?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 08:37 »
Ok, we all seem to agree that experience is valuable, but on the flipside of that, how important is it to have a degree? I'm getting out of the Navy after 8 years, two of which I was a Staff Pickup at Prototype. I have a BS in HR management, but from the people I've talked to that are out of the Navy, and have been out at least 8 years, it sounds like an enginering degree is necessary. Any thoughts?

Any degree is much better than no degree. If you have a Navy Nuke with a BS in BS, you will receive a little consideration ahead of a nuke that has no degree awarded. Of course for some jobs, the actual degree you hold is important, but I don't think you are planning on sitting for your PE license.

If you plan on moving into commercial ops or maintenance, you will be fine.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?