Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu First post and I have a few questions... Please help honeypot

Author Topic: First post and I have a few questions... Please help  (Read 22310 times)

drb1984

First off I know I probably posted this in the worng spot. But I have a few questions:

I have a BA in Business Management and all of my work experience is in managing retail operations. My dad has worked at FPL for a long time and told me about a NLO job opportunity there and I needed to take the POSS test and I would most likely get hired if I passed b/c they needed people who could pass to fill a training class. I took the test and I passed.
Now my questions are these: I have no idea about this industry at all but I have a very open mind and it excites me to have an opportunity to be challenged and learn new things. I work hard in every situation and always find a way to succeed. But, can anyone tell me how hard an adjustment I am looking at from never having any experince in this industry at all. How hard will the training classes be? What are some things I can mention in my interview that will convince them I am suitable for the job?....remember I know nothing so if you can keep your answers pretty basic that would help. Overall any advice at all will be appreciated. I used the search function on here and read a little about the job but most people say they have experience in the industry or navy experience. Any help at all will be appreciated thanks in advance...

ddklbl

Re: First post and I have a few questions... Please help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008, 07:30 »
It's not retail, that's for sure.

I think your greatest asset, and inside source, may be your dad.  Have you gotten his perspective yet?

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2008, 07:35 »
That is exactly what I was about to say.  Your dad is going to be your best bet for any advise there.  While nuke plants all function on the same priciple they are all different, and the people working there are all different. 

I will say, if you can laugh, and especially at yourself then you should fit in nicely.  There is a world of information on the web as well that will help to get your feet wet on how these things work.  Try to find our what type of reactors are running at the plant and do research.  One other thing, BE HONEST AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!

Good luck and welcome to the family.

drb1984

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:47 »
I have racked my dads brain about certian things but he was never involved in the ops department. He knows basically what they do and all but I was hoping someone here could give me a real insiders opinion on things I can at least talk about in an interview, as to qualities that I might possess that would be jo related. Thanks

Offline Neutron234

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:10 »
I have worked at 2 different plants as an aux operator and so I'd like to share some insights that may be helpful. Regarding your lack of experience, it doesn't have to be a problem if you don't make it one. I started at Brunswick in 1999 and most of us in the class were ex-navy nukes, however, there was one individual who had no prior experience in our class. His work ethic was top notch. He never shied away from jobs when they were divvied out on shift, always did well on the continuing training exams, etc. As a result, he was selected for license class not long after he fully qualified as an AO and was one of only a handful of guys that made it through that class. Thus, I believe that work ethic is more important than experience (which is more of a secondary quality). Many places are looking to staff ops with people that have a desire to advance to RO and SRO, so be prepared to be asked about your career plans. Also, the interviews tend to be behavioral based. Basically, how would you respond to a given situation? For example, one question might center around you finding something that you don't expect out in the plant while performing a particular job or evolution, they want to know how you would respond. (would you tell someone, or just move on with the task and hope nothing goes wrong?). Human performance is a very big issue within operations, so maybe you could get some advice from your dad in that area. The fact that you passed the POSS exam is a good start. One more thing, your lack of experience might even be considered an asset, since you don't come in with any preconceived ideas of how things "should be", you have a better chance of more easily adapting to the culture.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.  - Mark Twain

drb1984

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:47 »
thank you very much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated, any other advice is welcomes and appreciated, thanks in advance! My interview is next monday the 24th

JerWel88

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2008, 03:52 »
Any word back about how your interview went?

drb1984

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2008, 04:47 »
Yes, sorry I didnt update everyone. In spite of my lack of education in a technical area ( I have a BA in Bus. Management) and the fact that I have never worked in a technical field and this will be a whole new world for me, they decided to offer me the job. I could tell the interviewers had concerns about these things but I tried to reassure them I'll do whatever it takes to get through the training and to learn it and become an asset to the company. I go in first thing tomorrow monring for my mmpi psychological exam along with fingerprinting, and drug/alcohol testing, etc. So assuming all goes well there tomorrow I will be negotiating a start date with my recruiter. I really look forward to the opportunity for myself and my family.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:40 »
Hey which plant? Do't worry you'll do fine!

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:24 »
Congrats. :D ;D :D ;D

wolfxoman

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:38 »
Congrats on passing and getting in the door.  What plant are you getting in at?  If it's the beach maybe you could get some help from the current AO's there on what to expect in class. ;D

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:24 »
Excellent job!!! Hope you get in there and love it.  Keep us up to date on what is going on with you.

number41

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:03 »
B. PRESGROVE, what's with the new avatar?  You're right that's a HUGE wabbit.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:44 »
My dad emailed that too me and I couldnt resist.  They are called german giants and MMMAAANNNN they are huge.  Its almost as big as my house cat.  Thats not me holding the thing its the owner of the wabbit.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2008, 08:45 by B.PRESGROVE »

drb1984

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2008, 11:42 »
Thanks everyone for the advice and congrats, it is the St Luice Plant of FPL in Florida. I just got back from the testings and I am scheduled to meet with a pshychologist friday afternoon. Its something that they are making all operator and security candidates do nowadays. So assuming all goes well there I will then be negotiating a start date. And once again, I am really excited about this opportunity. The information I have read ere has helped with this process so much and I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to this forum.

drb1984

« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:47 »
anyone on here ever have to meet with a psychologist? And if so, any advice you can give me? What are they looking for? Just that I'm sane or that my personality is suitable for the job requirements? Thanks!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:23 »
anyone on here ever have to meet with a psychologist? And if so, any advice you can give me? What are they looking for? Just that I'm sane or that my personality is suitable for the job requirements? Thanks!

Many go for MMPIs that don't fall in between the lines. If that is what its for its probably no big deal, some may ask a provocative question to watch your reaction or ask a queston that does not have a clear answer to see if you get frustrated. I went to a plant many moons ago that bypassed the test by sending us straight to the Psyche. All three of us were very tired from  long overnight trips but woke up quickly when he said "Its strange you would come to me since I am the one who signs the commitment papers for our local hospitals". I am sure he enjoyed himself but it was the first time for all three of us, we were not amused.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008, 07:54 by Marlin »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2008, 10:59 »

When I transferred to Callaway my old boss (at the garage I was transferring from) was worried to death because I had to go see the psychologist before my last shift at the garage.  When I sat down with the psychologist he said "Do you have any idea why you're here?"  I told him it was because I'd answered one of their triggering questions and told him which one.  We had a good chat, he told me I'd be fine and wished me luck in my sobriety, the 21st anniversary of which I'll celebrate this June. 

Don't stress over seeing the psychologist.  Answer the MMPI questions truthfully and consistently and do the same with the Dr. 

Best of luck,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008, 07:56 »
Marlin --

Was that the infamous 'One Flew Over Calvert Cliffs' adventure? If so, the test was not bypassed, we just had a near 50% failure rate.

drb1984 --

As far as the shrink and the MMPI, its like Nuclear NASCAR said: be honest and don't try to fool anybody. Most definitely, do not try to give an answer because it is what you THINK they want to hear.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008, 09:04 »
Marlin --

Was that the infamous 'One Flew Over Calvert Cliffs' adventure? If so, the test was not bypassed, we just had a near 50% failure rate.

Roger,
That's why we call it "The Cliffs of Insanity". By the way, they are hiring HPs again. When are you coming back?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2008, 10:04 »

At my plant all operators see the shrink no matter what. He read questions off of a standard list. What freaked me out is that I have been a non smoker for nearly 2 years and no where ever did I mention that I was a smoker. But, his first question was "so how long did you smoke for?"  8) Anyway, its nothing to worry about, Just standard procedure. The thing to remember is not to try to cheat/beat the test because you have to retake it periodically and you don't want a big deviation from what I hear.

Justin
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008, 10:05 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:31 »
Marlin --

I remember that one. It was right after IRM lost the contract and the test evaluator was suspected of being related to the Leonards. I was flown to Conneticutt to see a Psyche for that one by Charlie Peirce because he was suspisious. The trip I'm talking about was generated by DNIs first contract, with Joe Worley pushing hard to get techs on site at Millstone in a hurry. I miss all the very colorful people like Joe and Charlie in the old days I wonder how they did on MMPIs?  :)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:42 »
I miss all the very colorful people like Joe and Charlie in the old days I wonder how they did on MMPIs?  :)

I bet Charlie never had to take the test. But Joe was so good at... umm, embellishing the truth... that he could probably convince a psychiatrist his pants were on fire if he was in a swimming pool.

I do miss Charlie. He really knew how to take care of the people that worked for him.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

drb1984

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:25 »
Well, I met with the psychologist on friday and everythign seemed to go smoothly. I was waiting for a call today to see about a start date but nothing yet. I am not sure if they are still working on my background check or what. I did all the fingerprinting and background stuff last monday so its been a week, but I will keep everyone updated on the status. I just cant wait to get out there and start getting a feeling for what I'll be doing.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:46 »
Well, I met with the psychologist on friday and everythign seemed to go smoothly. I was waiting for a call today to see about a start date but nothing yet. I am not sure if they are still working on my background check or what. I did all the fingerprinting and background stuff last monday so its been a week, but I will keep everyone updated on the status. I just cant wait to get out there and start getting a feeling for what I'll be doing.

I know it must be driving you nuts, just try to be patient. It takes some time one your first background. Once you are in the system though, its much easier if you move somewhere else.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?