Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu FPL Energy Emergency Response Organization?  

Author Topic: FPL Energy Emergency Response Organization?  (Read 15347 times)

allforthenukie

FPL Energy Emergency Response Organization?
« on: Mar 13, 2008, 07:56 »
Can anybody tell me what FPL Energys ERO member call in policy is?
Mainly I would like to know if you are required to carry a pager when off work, stay within a certain travel time from the plant, be on call and fit for duty when off work, Etc.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: FPL Energy Emergency Response Organization?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:35 »
That may vary depend on what position your interested in

Would hope someone from one of their plants would respond but I did see this posted on a position they had for an alara analyst

". Assumes a position in the Emergency Response Organization and may participate in the RP Duty and Call Rotation. "

hope that helps

sf

Evilpixie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 03:13 »
At Diablo Canyon, there is one group of management peops that has to be at their emergency posts within an hour.  They carry pagers or company provided crackberries or cellphones.  There are three emergency response teams and they rotate every two weeks as to which team is on call. 

stownsend

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:10 »
Is there any compensation for being on first responder duty or are you forced to be fit for duty,able to respond within a certain time frame,carry/have available a cell phone 24/7?

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:02 »
Most utilities require the following:

1: Your REP week will be either for 1 or 2 weeks straight followed by either 2 or 4 weeks off.

2: During your REP week you must be within 1 hour of the plant and carry a REP Pager.

3: You must be fit for duty 24/7 during your week.

4: Supporting REP is a condition of your employment you won't be paid to carry the Pager.

Mike

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 »
The compensation you get is the pride you get serving your power plant for free. Don't even think about drinking on call.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:32 »
How many sites require technician level workers to carry beepers and be on call for emergency plan? 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 »
I'd have to think most of them as most E Plans say you need so many techs within an hour and so many within 90 minutes.

Mike

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:52 »
Not here -we don't have a duty week, nor are we on call. We have pagers, but thos are only required to be with us onsite. Management is in 4 section duty, change on call crew weekly. They have the full on call requirements.
Once every year or so we do an announced call in drill, where the craft respond. But otherwise, craft only participate in ERO while already onsite.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2008, 01:05 »
Most utilities require the following:

1: Your REP week will be either for 1 or 2 weeks straight followed by either 2 or 4 weeks off.

2: During your REP week you must be within 1 hour of the plant and carry a REP Pager.

3: You must be fit for duty 24/7 during your week.

4: Supporting REP is a condition of your employment you won't be paid to carry the Pager.

Mike

This is obviously for salaried personnel only.  The FLSA requires that non-exempt employees be paid for any time when they are acting for the benefit of the employer with the employer's knowledge and consent.  In English this means that they can not tell you where to be or what to do without paying you for your time if you are hourly.
They don't have to pay anyone for carrying a pager - just for the FFD and one hour away part.
If you are hourly and your company is telling you where to be, or otherwise restricting your lawful activity during unpaid time, you probably are owed some money.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2008, 04:12 »
Not neccessarily just salaried employees.  I am required to be on call one week of every four.  I am hourly.  I fill a salaried ERO position (got volunteered).  The pool positions (HPs) carry a pager but are not required to be "on call."
The employee handbook for my company allows that to happen without monetary comepensation.  Non union companies can do things like that.  Don't know about FPL though, they do have a union if I remember correctly.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:49 »
Hourly workers at Farley are required to be on call for emergency plan as well at no compensation.  That was one of the reasons that HP voted to join the union last fall.  Hopefully when we get a contract that will be something that goes away or at least we get paid for.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:57 »
Union or no union, makes no difference.  Federal law requires that employees who are hourly or non-exempt salaried be paid for all hours they work for the benefit of their employer as long as the employer knows or should have known that they are doing it.  Being on-call may not necessarily count as work time, but if the employer restricts where you may go or what you may do, the time is likely to count as work time and must be compensated.  They can tell you that you are on call, but they can't call you without paying you.  Likewise, they can't tell you that you have to be at any particular place at any particular time without paying you.

An exempt employee is also on the clock for those times, but there is no requirement to pay them any more because of it.  They get the same pay every week if they work 15 minutes or 100 hours.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2008, 08:18 »
How many sites require technician level workers to carry beepers and be on call for emergency plan? 
I'd have to think most of them as most E Plans say you need so many techs within an hour and so many within 90 minutes.

Mike

They do give us (techs) pagers to carry while not on shift but we don't have to maintain any FFD requirements, hang out within a hour of the plant, nor are penalized for not phoning in during the weekly pager drills.  Management would "like" us too but there is no recourse without sending the process back through the Union/TVA arbitration process.  They absolutely refuse to pay so we don't have to play.   

Now how they make the REP plan look satisfactory and that all required positions are filled is 1) ask all technicians who are currently on shift that day, about 6-7 on days to call and 2) they also accept ALARA staff and RadOps Shift Supv's to call in which gives the impression you have adequately satisfied REP for the techs.  We run very few back shift REP pager drills and have always had problems with meeting REP.  At Watts Bar they have had to call people at home trying to meet the 60 min. deadline, but like I said as long as your in RP you count, but many are not REP van trained nor maintain ANSI., just bodies.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:33 »
Union or no union, makes no difference.  Federal law requires that employees who are hourly or non-exempt salaried be paid for all hours they work for the benefit of their employer as long as the employer knows or should have known that they are doing it.  Being on-call may not necessarily count as work time, but if the employer restricts where you may go or what you may do, the time is likely to count as work time and must be compensated.  They can tell you that you are on call, but they can't call you without paying you.  Likewise, they can't tell you that you have to be at any particular place at any particular time without paying you.

Trouble is that company insists that whatever they do is legal .  And have whole floors of lawyers to drag out process even if they are wrong.  Our only option instead of trying outspend and outlast lawyers was to join union.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?