Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NU Exam honeypot

Author Topic: NU Exam  (Read 9712 times)

Offline perdeim

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
NU Exam
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 02:06 »
 How does everyone like the new rules for the Nu exam on  the Nantel system ? its all  computerized now. Seems you can only take this test 2 times per year , not at each site, 2 times period . It seems not really about the Nu exam , but more about Nantel any test you take Rad worker etc. 2 times .
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2008, 02:20 by perdeim »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: NU Exam
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:06 »
The exam is ridiculous in my opinion. The first time you take it may be valid as a test of knowledge about our field, taking it every 2 or 3 years makes no sense, the material has not changed. If you go to school and receive a degree in basket weaving and in turn get a job as a master basket weaver, do you have to go back and take a test to prove that you have an education in basket weaving every 2 or 3 years? Practical exams like the one at DC Cook have much more merit in my opinion, you are tested on job knowledge in a practical setting to put the plant at ease with your ability to perform HP stuff. I can deal with that.

What does this NUE test prove? My wife is not in this industry, far from it. She is smart. Smarter than I am for sure but...I could spend a few days with her on the subject of nuclear physics and she would probably pass the NUE on the first attempt. Does that make her a Sr. HP tech? Not even. I could also spend several weeks with her on the practical aspects of being a Sr. HP in the field and she would most likely not stand a chance of passing the practical exam at DC Cook...

It is also a source of irritation with me that people coming up through the ranks receive no organized training at all. We receive no continuous training at all...ever. The business of being a rent-a-tech is incredibly unprofessional and disorganized.

So, to your question of the test being on NANTEL...It sucks just like the paper version, maybe more.

Bitter...table for one ;D

Love my job, just hate the lack of industry support for the profession.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008, 08:48 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:47 »
AGREE!

RG

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:03 »
That is the one thing that you will have to give about DOE, they are extremely organized when it came to getting requald.  Every two years I knew I had an exam, practical, and oral board.  Yah it was mundane and never changed, but you knew what was coming and was able to prepare for it.  It would seem that commercial would want to adopt some sort of common proving ground industry wide in order to set a standard for all techs, house and rent. ???

remowil55

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:55 »
How does everyone like the new rules for the Nu exam on  the Nantel system ? its all  computerized now. Seems you can only take this test 2 times per year , not at each site, 2 times period . It seems not really about the Nu exam , but more about Nantel any test you take Rad worker etc. 2 times .
[/quote
Let's be honest here. It sucks!! This is one of the latest, "will do's," from the worst organizations that has ever wormed it's way into the Nuclear Industry. INPO. I bet if the truth was know Nantel is owned by a bunch of ex washed up INPO personnel and with there contacts sold this to INPO and INPO has told the Nuke Plants, "YOU will do this," It and INPO needs to go. It you look at the credits on the study material guess who's name is at the top. Gollnick !!! In my opinion he believes that everyone has a Phd. in this business, or should have. Wonder when the last time he was in a real plant swingin a meter.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2008, 08:36 »
NANTeL -- National Academy of Nuclear Training e-Learning

The National Academy of Nuclear Training is the training branch of INPO (not a bunch of INPO retirees.) They took over the handling of what was the Northeast Utilities exam after NEU (who never really planned on their test being used nationwide) stopped supporting it for others.  INPO saw the test as something good to screen contract technicians for fundamental knowledge (not skill) of their craft and decided it needed to be available for plants to use, so they took over the 'care and feeding' part.

It is up to the utilities to use it or show INPO that they are doing something equivalent for knowledge level assessment. Skill assessment is not covered and is the responsibility of each utility (or plant) to assess as they see fit. For some this is just a resume check, for others it can be an oral board.

The practical value of the knowledge tested by the exam is debatable, but it does show (to a point) how much effort someone has put into knowing the craft that pays their bills. Unfortunately, for most rent-a-techs, that means effort on their own time... house techs get initial and continuing training and get paid for it. I would rather work with a technician that can pass the test than one that can't, but I would much rather work with a tech whose SKILLS I can trust than one who can just pass the knowledge part.

As far as skills, that is up to each plant. If a plant has had troubles with technician skills, there will probably be more stringent requirements... if not, it is a resume check and go. Personally I like the former situation since I am not worried about my own skills and would like to know that I don't have to worry about the guy I am relieving, either. I am sure that if there are enough problems, INPO will 'guide' the industry to a more standardized skills assessment, too. That may or may not be a good thing, but I would not hate to see it.

Whether you like INPO or not, it has done some good for the industry (and some not so good, IMHO.) Either way, it is not going anywhere... the alternative is closer oversight by the NRC which is something the utilities definitely do not want.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008, 08:36 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?