Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Suggested Reading?  

Author Topic: Suggested Reading?  (Read 14929 times)

mac251

Suggested Reading?
« on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:55 »
I am currently a college student looking to go into a degree program in Nuclear Engineering, and was wondering if there were any books that I should look at buying.  I really enjoy learning about anything related to the nuclear field and anything anyone could suggest would be greatly appreciated.  Currently I have just purchased a copy of Basic Radiation Protection Technology and was also wondering if anyone had any information on the Gollnick Basic Radiation Protection Technology Self-Study Course.  Any information also on certification test would be greatly appreciated.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: Suggested Reading?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2008, 04:44 »
You have a good start on your library.  You will collect enough textbooks over the next few years that you probably don't need to buy more now.

Which certification test are you asking about? Certified Health Physicist? 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:22 »
   ...the texts...
      Introduction to Health Physics, Cember
      Basic Radiation Protection Technology, Gollnick
      Basic Health Physics, Bevelacqua

...the books...
      The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Rhodes
      The Nuclear Barons, Pringle
      Nuclear Inc., Hertsgaard

...the study guides...
      North East Utilities / Nuclear Utility Fundamentals Exam Study Guide, on Nukeworker.com
      DOE RCT Core Academic Study Guide, on Nukeworker.com
      Certistep software for NRRPT and CHP Part 1 Exams

...the web sites...
      NRRPT.org
      HPS1.org
      HPS1.org/AAHP

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 09:57 by wlrun3 »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:14 »

...the list...
      The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Rhodes
      Building the Bombs, Loeber
      Obsessive Genius, Goldsmith
      Enrico Fermi-Physicist, Segre'
      The Curve of the Binding Energy, McPhee
      Making a Real Killing, Ackland
      Three Mile Island, Walker
      The Angry Genie, Morgan
      Nuclear Inc, Hertsgaard
      The Uranium People, Libby
      A Case for Nuclear Generated Electricity, Heaberlin
      Conservation Fallout, Wills
      The Nuclear Barons, Pringle
      Dark Sun, Rhodes
      Arsenals of Folly, Rhodes
      J. Robert Oppenheimer, Cassidy
      Edward Teller-The Real Doctor Strangelove, Goodchild
      The Radioactive Boyscout, Silverstein
      Permissible Dose, Walker

...and hopefully this summer...
      American Nuclear Power Plants, Runge

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2008, 11:41 »
Below is a list of texts that saw me through a BS and MS in nuclear engineering (sorry about the formatting), followed by a list of texts I'm looking to pick up for the right price. Any of these will supplement an NE degree very well, if you can pick them up at a good price (nuclear texts can be $150+). My recommendation would be the 2-volume Glasstone text as a comprehensive must-have, and the Shultis Fundamentals text for a newcomer.

Title   Author   Date of Publication   ISBN
Nuclear Engineering Handbook   Etherington, Harold   1958, McGraw Hill   0070197202
Nuclear Reactor Theory   Lamarsh, John R.   1966, Addison Wesley   0201041200
Systems Summary of a Westinghouse Pressurized Water Reactor Nuclear Power Plant   Masche, George   1971, Westinghouse Electric Corp.   B000730BKO
Nuclear Reactor Analysis   Duderstadt, James J. and Hamilton, Louis J.   1976, John Wiley & Sons   0471223638
General Description of a Boiling Water Reactor BWR/6   Hoffman, Shirley and Moore, Tom   1978, General Electric   B000EOOR4M
Nuclear Heat Transport   El-Wakil, M. M.   1981, American Nuclear Society   0894480146
Nuclear Energy Conversion   El-Wakil, M. M.   1982, American Nuclear Society   0894480154
Basic Nuclear Engineering, 4th Ed.   Foster, Arthur R., and Wright, Robert L.   1983, Allyn & Bacon   0205078869
Elements of Nuclear Reactor Design, 2nd Ed.   Weisman, Joel   1983, Krieger Publishing Co.   0898745187
Power Plant System Design   Li, Kam W. and Priddy, A. Paul   1985, John Wiley & Sons   0471888478
The Making of the Atomic Bomb   Rhoades, Richard   1987, Simon & Schuster   671441337
Nuclear Systems I: Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals   Todreas, Neil E. and Kazimi, Mujid S.   1990, Hemisphere   1560320516
Steam: Its Generation and Use, 40th Ed.   Stultz, S. C. and Kitto, J. B.   1992, Babcock & Wilcox   0963457004
Nuclear Engineering: Theory and Technology of Commercial Nuclear Power, 2nd Ed.   Knief, Ronald Allen   1992, Taylor & Francis   1560320893
Thermal-Hydraulics of a Boiling Water Nuclear Reactor, 2nd Ed.   Lahey, R.T. and Moody, F. J.   1993, American Nuclear Society   0894480375
Nuclear Reactor Engineering, 4th Ed. Vol 1: Reactor Design Basics   Glasstone, Samuel and Sesonske, Alexander   1994, Chapman & Hall   0412985217
Nuclear Reactor Engineering, 4th Ed. Vol 2: Reactor Systems Engineering   Glasstone, Samuel and Sesonske, Alexander   1994, Chapman & Hall   0412985314
Introduction to Health Physics, 3rd Ed.   Cember, Herman   1996, McGraw Hill   0071054618
Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery   Dixon, S. L.    1998, Butterworth Heinemann   0750670592
Commercial Nuclear Power: Assuring Safety for the Future   Ramsey, Charles B. and Modarres, Mohammad   1998, John Wiley & Sons   0471291862
ANSI/ANS-3.1-1993 - Selection, Qualification, and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants   ANS Nuclear Standards Committee   1999, American Nuclear Society   N/A
Nuclear Fuel Cycle: Analysis and Management, 2nd Ed.   Cochran, Robert G. and Tsoulfanidis, Nicholas   1999, American Nuclear Society   0894484516
101 Solved Nuclear Engineering Problems (Professional Engineer Exam Preparation)   Camara, J. A.   1999, Professional Publications   1888577304
Radiation Shielding   Shultis, J. Kenneth and Faw, Richard E.   2000, American Nuclear Society   0894484567
Radiation Detection and Measurement, 3rd Ed.   Knoll, Glenn F.   2000, John Wiley & Sons   0471073385
Nuclear Reactor Physics   Stacey, Weston M.   2001, John Wiley & Sons   0471391271
Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, 3rd Ed.   Lamarsh, John R. and Baratta, Anthony J.   2001, Prentice Hall   0201824981
Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering   Shultis, J. Kenneth and Faw, Richard E.   2002, Marcel Dekker   0824708342
Radioactive Waste Management, 2nd Ed.   Saling, James H. and Fentiman, Audeen W.   2002, Taylor & Francis   1560328428

Nuclear Reactor Theory (Hardcover)
by George I. Bell
Hardcover: 619 pages
Publisher: Krieger Publishing Company (June 1, 1979)
ISBN: 0882757903

Thermal Analysis of Pressurized Water Reactors
by L. S. Tong, Joel Weisman
Paperback: 748 pages
Publisher: American Nuclear Society; 3rd edition (May 1, 1996)
ISBN: 0894480383

Nuclear Systems: Elements Of Thermal Design
by NEIL TODREAS
Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: Taylor & Francis; 1 edition (July 1, 1990)
ISBN: 1560320796

Dynamics of Nuclear Reactors
by David L. Hetrick
Hardcover: 542 pages
Publisher: American Nuclear Society (November 1, 1993)
ISBN: 0894484532

Introductory Nuclear Reactor Dynamics
by Karl Otto Ott, Robert J. Neuhold
Hardcover: 362 pages
Publisher: Amer Nuclear Society (December 1, 1985)
ISBN: 0894480294

Introductory Nuclear Reactor Statics
by Karl O. Ott, Winfred A. Bezella
Hardcover: 385 pages
Publisher: Amer Nuclear Society; Revised edition (January 1, 1989)
ISBN: 0894480332

Nuclear Energy: An Introduction to the Concepts, Systems, and Applications of Nuclear Processes (Hardcover)
by Raymond Murray
Hardcover: 490 pages
Publisher: Butterworth-Heinemann; 5 edition (January 15, 2001)
ISBN: 075067136X

Nuclear Energy : Principles, Practices, and Prospects (Hardcover)
by David Bodansky
Hardcover: 693 pages
Publisher: Springer; 2 edition (April 21, 2008)
ISBN: 0387207783

Introduction To Nuclear Power
by G. HEWITT
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Taylor & Francis; 2 edition (June 1, 2000)
ISBN: 1560324546

Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Second Edition (Hardcover)
by J. Kenneth Shultis
Hardcover: 616 pages
Publisher: CRC; 2 edition (September 7, 2007)
ISBN: 1420051350

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:04 »
They will tell you books to purchase for your classes.  You will be plenty busy enough with the general courses that you will not need extra books.  If you r in a liberal arts program and r wanting to apply to the NE program, focus on your current classes to ensure you have a solid GPA.  Given that is ok and you want hang out in the grad library and study reactor physics then look at the required books needed for the classes given.  But, they might change the book when you go to take it.

As a student I wouldn't be buying a bunch of books that are not directly related to my course work unless the Prof says "buy this book".  Youtube might have some NE courses you can watch.

If you somehow are taking a full load of engineering classes and have extra time, uh, go outside and get some exercise...talk to people.  ride a bike. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:13 »
...look at the required books needed for the classes given.  But, they might change the book when you go to take it.

They may change the book, but they won't change the theory.

If the poster's aim is to identify a text that provides a solid foundation for a field they know they want to get into, or to identify a text that provides a good introduction to a field they are considering, then the recommended texts will provide this.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:36 »
If the poster's aim is to identify a text that provides a solid foundation for a field they know they want to get into, or to identify a text that provides a good introduction to a field they are considering, then the recommended texts will provide this

Who said it didn't?
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:20 »
Nuclear Reactor Engineering, 4th Ed. Vol 1: Reactor Design Basics   Glasstone, Samuel and Sesonske, Alexander   1994, Chapman & Hall   0412985217
Nuclear Reactor Engineering, 4th Ed. Vol 2: Reactor Systems Engineering   Glasstone, Samuel and

These are the two I recommend. I was going to post them but thought I should look closer at this list first and there they were. :) They have been invaluable to me since I got out of the Navy.

Justin

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:12 »

...Gollnick Basic Radiation Protection Technology Self-Study Course...

...to address the original post inquiry, this course is for those seeking a basic (community college level algebra based) credential/understanding...if junior level status in our disciplines is attained at a university this course may be of only casual interest/value...

...thankyou nuclear renaissance...outstanding book list...

justatech

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:14 »
Below is a list of texts that saw me through a BS and MS in nuclear engineering (sorry about the formatting), followed by a list of texts I'm looking to pick up for the right price. Any of these will supplement an NE degree very well, if you can pick them up at a good price (nuclear texts can be $150+). My recommendation would be the 2-volume Glasstone text as a comprehensive must-have, and the Shultis Fundamentals text for a newcomer.

WOW......................than k you for this information. I see a few that I would be interested in. KARMA TO YOU!  :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?