Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
honeypot

Author Topic: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Laning

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
« on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:28 »
If my memory serves me correctly, it was on this day 18 years ago that many of us, in an attempted show of solidarity, kept to the plan and refused to report for duty. Unfortunately as I recall it, many more of us chose to ignore the plan.

Here's to being young & dumb!!
If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:41 »
It may be 18 years too late, but I stayed home today.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008, 12:07 »
If my memory serves me correctly, it was on this day 18 years ago that many of us, in an attempted show of solidarity, kept to the plan and refused to report for duty. Unfortunately as I recall it, many more of us chose to ignore the plan.

Here's to being young & dumb!!

My how the time flies by... I can hardly believe it, seems it was just a few years back. I salute you and all those brave souls who walked the walk.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:53 »
You guys should organize ( bad word) something for the 20 year anniversary.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008, 11:29 »
I was at Point Beach. The plant made a back road our access point for one day so that normal traffic would not see us and we could barely see the plant from our picket line (4 or 5 people IIRC). A young TV news man drove up talked to a couple of us and left somewhat unimpressed. The next day we were back to work with no noticable difference in anyones lives. Ahh the good old days....

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008, 01:34 »
I was at Point Beach. The plant made a back road our access point for one day so that normal traffic would not see us and we could barely see the plant from our picket line (4 or 5 people IIRC). A young TV news man drove up talked to a couple of us and left somewhat unimpressed. The next day we were back to work with no noticable difference in anyones lives. Ahh the good old days....

Sounds very familar to what happened in our area. I actually recieved calls from Columbia SC and Oregon asking whether anyone else had walked. Henry was at Baxley GA at the time. I shot video and took it to WRDW in Augusta who did air it. I then attempted to have the storyand photos picked up by the AP but recieved a letter that read "do to wire contraints we are unable to run this story at this time".

What can I say, we were young and we believed that we could make a difference...

Rad Sponge

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 02:00 »
What are you all talking about? Did you all try to organize an RP walk-out back in the day?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008, 03:06 »
IBEW local 1500 (a national Local for contract rad techs) never saw daylight.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008, 04:30 »
It was a very loosely organized, poorly advertised one day walk out. I am not even sure that Local 1500 was officially involved in it... if they were they did not do a very good job of advertising it. I had signed a card and was working that day blissfully unaware of any organized efforts. Granted, I was not at an outage and was filling a non-union slot (training instructor) at the time, but I think I should have at least known about it... I was still a contractor and had a card.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 04:21 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2008, 03:00 »
It was a very loosely organized, poorly advertised one day walk out. I am not even sure that Local 1500 was officially involved in it... if they were they did not do a very good job of advertising it. I had signed a card and was working that day blissfully unaware of any organized efforts. Granted, I was not at an outage and was filling a non-union slot (training instructor) at the time, but I think I should have al least known about it... I was still a contractor and had a card.

We were both at Calvert at the time if my memory serves me right Roger. And Dick Scott was ready for any one that didn't come in that day!!!LOL

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?