Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Should I even consider going ELT?  

Author Topic: Should I even consider going ELT?  (Read 17363 times)

Motown homey

Re: Should I even consider going ELT?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 07:34 »
I love the sarcastic humor in all the posts!! Its flippin great--But seriously, I dont even see being a machinist mate as a real mechanic--Trust me, ive worked the precision machining field for 3 years now, talk about real machining!! Tolerance of +0-.0005 or less plus GD&T and all sorts of other things to take into consideration--not to mention being able to reverse engineer parts after theyve been complete destroyed.  Come home every day covered in coolant oil, metal chips, grease and whatever else.  Honing "oil" is the best by far--its refined lard oil that stains your hands for weeks and the smell stays with it!!  Steel toed boots are part of my everyday attire.

Unless the Nav's changed (which - as my sainted grandmother used to say- "I kinda F-----g doubt it"), mechanics measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with an axe.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11 »
Honing "oil" is the best by far--its refined lard oil that stains your hands for weeks and the smell stays with it!!  Steel toed boots are part of my everyday attire.

Just wait until someone gives you ol' blueing compound head band.  HE HE.  Well reason I say a surface dirty piper is a real mechanic is because 90% of our stuff is simple big pieces of equipment that has not "special" precautions to it like radcon, Rx Safety, etc.  So it is pretty much get it fixed anyway you can and move on.  Not to mention the yardbirds that work on our stuff ain't exactly the best so we get a lot of practice fixing their screw ups more than the Shiny Guys.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14 »
Unless the Nav's changed (which - as my sainted grandmother used to say- "I kinda F-----g doubt it"), mechanics measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with an axe.

Changed a little, now we just eyeball it, walk off to get the reference material we should have had to begin with, come back and cut with dull chainsaw whereever we could get the lagging off easily and do a little praying that NRRO didn't see any of it.  Oh yea afterwards, fill out all the required paperwork, including pre work authorization forms and tags(ok just kidding about the tags).
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 03:07 »

...from a non ELT...this is the most respected qual in the commercial nuclear power radiation protection world...i have been chasing this level of competence for over twenty five years...i have not yet attained it...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00 »
I love the sarcastic humor in all the posts!! Its flippin great--But seriously, I dont even see being a machinist mate as a real mechanic--Trust me, ive worked the precision machining field for 3 years now, talk about real machining!! Tolerance of +0-.0005 or less plus GD&T and all sorts of other things to take into consideration--not to mention being able to reverse engineer parts after theyve been complete destroyed.  Come home every day covered in coolant oil, metal chips, grease and whatever else.  Honing "oil" is the best by far--its refined lard oil that stains your hands for weeks and the smell stays with it!!  Steel toed boots are part of my everyday attire.

you are DEFINENTLY a dirty pipe wrencher, no doubt in my mind :D if you come to my ship Ill make it happen haha.

lol@ marssim

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?