Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu failed chemistry

Author Topic: failed chemistry  (Read 6446 times)

slugrugger

failed chemistry
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:16 »
alright so i just deped in and i signed up for the nuke field. i loved math and chemistry in high school and went all the way through calculus and took ap chemistry (basically like first year of college chem) and i got basically a's and b's. in college i was about to follow the same math/chem path and be an engineer of some sort. my college made me take calculus and chemistry over. i took calculus and aced it and i took the first part of chem but failed the second. in all of my excitement over getting nuke i forgot to tell my recruiter and the navy nuke counselor. i earned my ba and got excellent grades in all of my other college classes, i just dropped the ball durring my first year of college.my grades from the two years of chem i took in highschool are a's. so basically my question is when i call up my recruiters tommorrow will i be disqualified? is there a way that i can re take the course at a community college before i go? or is it good enough that i did well in chemistry in high school?

drainbamage

Re: failed chemistry
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:37 »
I don't think you're required to submit college credits, only high school transcripts. Though if you have enough credits you can get some extra money potentially, you'd have to weigh the risks. I'm not familiar with the policy on college courses, seeing as I never took any classes, and consequently never had it factor into the mix.

There is a trend between coming to nuke school and doing poorly in college, or at least that's what folks claim here.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
-Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:42 »
Doesn't make a difference in any way. You are enlisting, how well you did or didn't do in college at this point is irrelevant to the actual enlistment.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2009, 11:43 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:12 »
Dont sweat it,,,no really dont sweat it. Be cool
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:42 »

I'm not calling you a liar, but I find it hard to believe that you were never asked about your college grades during the recruiting process.

In my mind, I now have questions about your integrity.  Is there anything else you "forgot" to tell?
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009, 10:34 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:05 »
Make sure to mention it during your " moment of truth " . Ask your recruiter for details. Good luck.  8)

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:22 »

Let me clarify my last statement: Don't sweat the failing grade that you received in college and by all means tell your recruiter the truth about everything. You are not required to have college to enlist in the Navy Nuclear Power Program so the fact that you failed a college course is mute and should not affect your enlistment status. They should already have a copy of your college transcripts anyway and the fact that you have met all the prerequisites to DEP in means you are going to ship. Things that will affect your enlistment status and need to be reported immediately to your recruiter are arrest / brushes with the law, moving violations (even a parking ticket), drug use or anything you feel necessary. Basically, if you are worried about anything tell him and he will determine if any further resolution is necessary. The current Naval Nuclear Power Program is built on the support of 7 pillars which were first explained to me by my then Captain now Vice Admiral James Wennefeld. Those pillars are:

Formality
Forethought
Forceful Back-up
Procedural Compliance
INTEGRITY
Questioning Attitude
Level Of Knowledge

A violation of any of these will weaken the program. I believe these are excellent, salient tenets that all Navy nuclear operators need to adhere to. They work well in daily life also. Stay safe and good luck.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009, 12:06 by Harley Rider »
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Wirebiter

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:50 »
i earned my ba ......

Unless you are dead set on enlisting with a 4 year degree in hand, I STRONGLY suggest you look into Officer Candidate School (OCS).  I think you may regret not attempting to join as an officer oh....., after about three days at A-school.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?