Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Do you like your job?  

Author Topic: Do you like your job?  (Read 15985 times)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: Do you like your job?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2008, 02:15 »
No I hate it

Then you should quit. If you think you hate your job, wait till you are retired and look back on your life spent doing a job you hate. That would really suck!

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

12RPilot

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2008, 03:01 »
Ops has bad days and good days, but the good far outnumber the bad. The bottom line is you are working with alot of smart people and smart people are pretty damn fun to work with. High intellect breeds some good humor in my book. Oh sure, things aren't the same here as when Broadzilla roamed the plant, but some good folks stepped in to fill the void. I've always told the wife, if I win the lottery, I would still need to at least meet my coworkers at the bar every week. Just a fun crowd of professionals.

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:16 »
Ops has bad days and good days, but the good far outnumber the bad. The bottom line is you are working with alot of smart people and smart people are pretty damn fun to work with. High intellect breeds some good humor in my book. Oh sure, things aren't the same here as when Broadzilla roamed the plant, but some good folks stepped in to fill the void. I've always told the wife, if I win the lottery, I would still need to at least meet my coworkers at the bar every week. Just a fun crowd of professionals.

Dude, I fully agree!!!!! I've worked at two commercial plants and it's just like having two more sets of brothers and sisters. I had some flat out fun at Fermi and the same at Sequoyah. When I worked at Fermi I wore these bright orange coveralls when I was a NLO. They used to tease me about looking like a Station Air Compressor. Anyone who's been on Fermi's TB 1 will know what I mean. Everytime I dressed out my coveralls would disappear and I'd end up finding them in the weirdest places. I used to wear my hair in this long braid. One day I'm sitting in the MCR, minding my own business usual. While working on my application for Sainthood I felt a pull on my braid followed by a snip and and Oops. Congo, one of the other operators cut my braid then claimed the scissors "slipped". My guess is some of the older Operators will remember my first refueling outage when I had this T Shirt that said "The Sheeps Gonna Hit The Fan" with a picture of a very worried looking sheep that was heading for a large fan. I was working in the reactor building, and had just came out of a dressout area. Right as I walked by an ARM I heard it alarm, looked and it was reading upscale. I'm like F@@@!!!!!!. So I ran back to the CA, took my shirt off and chunked it into a PC receptacle. I walked by the rad monitor again and it read normal. I'm thinking WHEW. What I had missed was the announcement that Ops was transferring an instrument bus and there'd be Rad Monitor Alarms in the plant. The Operator running the Ops Control Point, McMahon , gave me crap about it the rest of the outage. He and his buttbuddies, Farrel and Serda wouldn't let up after the day I got crapped up and a contract RP Tech we called Twiggy volunteered to Decon me. All I heard for months was about showering with Twiggy and how Twiggy was adjusting the RCA Degress Monitors so I'd always look like I was getting crapped up. It certainly didn't help that everytime I walked by the Radcon Control Point Twiggy would say Hey Big Guy. Look EVERYONE there called me Big Guy at one time or other. Great Guys, great times. I wish I had been the sort of person who pulled that sort of stuff :) But as I said, I'm working on my application for Sainthood.

Mike

Khak-Hater

« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:44 »
If you love the job, but are sick of the management style, I'd highly recommend going to work for Entergy.  I worked for them at RBS in the late 90s and have yet to find a company as well run.  It's management the way that it was intended.  If something's wrong, it gets fixed.  If something could be better, then they're interested.  Their expansion success is a direct indicator of their efficiency.  It's the only company that I've ever worked for in which the people seemed smarter and more plugged in as you went up the chain of command.  If you like running power plants, you should at least try to interview with them. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?