Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke getting Out, Any training I should complete prior to?  

Author Topic: Nuke getting Out, Any training I should complete prior to?  (Read 4128 times)

crusemmc

So, I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel here,and if the answer to my question is posted somewhere else and I didn't find it, please kindly direct me in the proper direction.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way ;)...
 I am a Chief that will be retiring in 2-4 years and am interested in getting a job in civilian nuclear power.  I was wondering if it would be worth it to me to complete any courses/classes/training that I could take either by correspondence or online to either look more attractive to prospective employers or maybe knock down a future requirement.  I'm of the opinion that any training is useful, but I would hate to spend time/money on a course that my prospective new employer is going to make me take again or say is useless.
 A little info to clarify (maybe)
  • 20+ years Active
  • Nuke MMC/SS (non-ELT)
  • BSAST from Thomas Edison
  • EWS for 10+ years
  • relocating back home to Texas (probablY)
  • interested in NLO/instant SRO/Ops

P.S. for that last one, not locking myself in but thats what looks right for me.

Any help that you guys/gals can give (and I know you can) would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Matt

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008, 07:41 by crusemmc »

Fermi2

Learn how to read Electrical Schematics, Logic Diagrams, and Wiring Diagrams. It'll pay back in droves and help you immensely in a license program.

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008, 08:57 by Broadzilla »

crusemmc

Learn how to read Electrical Schematics, Logic Diagrams, and Wiring Diagrams. It'll pay back in droves and help you immensely in a license program.

Mike
Thanks for the info, any recommendations on sources for learning how to read the diagrams or will knowing how to read diagrams etc in the RPM's work?
I already have a pretty good knowledge of how to read engineering drawings (welding plans, parts diagrams etc.), but I'm not very strong on electrical stuff.

Fermi2

Hmmm that's a good question. I taught myself so I was proficient prior to starting in the civilian world. My first Utility gave a very excellent course at the start of NLO and ILO training. The one that I'm at now gave an even better course.

I can look and see if there's a course available. The reason I say learn this sort of stuff is it will help you immeasurably in class so you can understand how the RPS and Safety Features Actuation Systems work. You'll eventually be required to write Tag Outs and about 60% of your tagging will involve pulling a fuse and figuring out what pulling that fuse will do. You'll be invaluable to your shift if you can quickly and efficiently get through an electrical print if a fuse blows.

Mike

Don Obiyae

Mike,
How much scematic training, if any, is involved on site for SRO/RO classes, particularly for someone with no commercial experince? I realize I'll need to do someof my own prior to reporting, but wanted to know how much of this I might be able to obtain in house. Thanks,

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?