Career Path > Navy Nuke

Service Academy

(1/3) > >>

effennuke:
Does anyone know how the NNPTC is on releasing students who are accepted into service academy programs? 

Gamecock:
If you are accepted for an officer program, you will be released to go to school.

withroaj:
When I went through they usually had you stick around until you finished whatever portion of school you were in.  Be careful, they can pull your package (HA HA HA, pull your package) if you don't do well in school.  I would almost recommend going to the fleet enlisted if you are already are enlisted, and then deciding wether or not you want to deal with all of the O-gang crap.  I think few programs in the military have enlisted people tell officers, "your job sucks, sir." 

Also there is a kind of dumb thing that happens to people who get picked up officer out of the pipeline.  It will come out that you were prior enlisted, which will earn you brownie points with the blue shirt scum.  When people find out that you were only enlisted up until NNPTC you lose those good points and some retards will respect you less than they would have if you had gone straight from high school to the academy.  It is completely unjustified but it happens.  I think it comes from the bitterness people have when their officer packages get declined and they have to paint bilges for years.

I'm not an officer, but I had to face the same crap showing up to the boat as a staff pickup.  Either way I guess it doesn't matter since people will respect you (or not) based on your abilities once you have had time to show them.  Good luck with the officer thing.

Preciousblue1965:
Something a bit interesting I noticed in my final few years.

Sometime between 2000 and 2003(not sure when) just about all the officer programs got rounded up into one big STA21 program.  There was no more NECP, or OCS, or any of those small O-gang programs anymore.  When I got to Proto, that is when I was told taht apparently you can file for nuke STA21 unless you are at a nuke school command(NPTU, NNPTC) either as staff or student.  Well when the names came out for people getting picked up Nuke STA21, I would venture to say that 90% of them were either students or SPUs, and very rarely was it Sea Returnees.

I always wondered why that was, and I can come up with a few reasons here and there.  I am sure it has something to do with molding young impressionable minds vs older minds that have been set in stone.  Of course I could be wrong.

Gamecock:

--- Quote from: withroaj on Apr 24, 2008, 11:08 ---When I went through they usually had you stick around until you finished whatever portion of school you were in.  Be careful, they can pull your package (HA HA HA, pull your package) if you don't do well in school. 
--- End quote ---

Once selected for an officer program, "They" cannot do anything about it with the following exceptions.  If you have passed your DODMERB physical and have not gone to or have an NJP pending, you are safe.  Your performance in your studies is a moot point, as long as you aren't derelict in your duties (i.e. not completing required study hours, etc.....things that will result in NJP!!!!).   Service academies and ROTC programs have class convening dates (i.e. when classes or indoctrination starts), so, if you are in the pipeline, then you'll have to stick around and continue on with your training until it is time for you to transfer. 

If you are in the process of applying, "they" do have a lot of input.  "They" will give you your command endorsement, which is generally based on your performance in the pipeline. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version