Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Older Plants

Author Topic: Older Plants  (Read 11305 times)

Jacob Goodman

Older Plants
« on: Apr 25, 2008, 09:41 »
Hey guys,

I am a student at the University of Texas and I am studying United States Nuclear Power Plants for research in my scientific field. I was wondering if someone can answer this question: What were the fates of the Oldest US nuclear power plants?  If someone could get back to me as soon as possible I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Fermi2

Re: Older Plants
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:54 »
I would think a top notch student like yourself would be able to pose a question with greater clarity.

An example would be to Define the term older plant...

Mike

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2008, 12:48 »
Yeah, I agree with BZ.  The "newest" nuclear plant in America is over 20 years old.  So, "Older" is anything over 30? 40? What??

Some didn't make it that far.  TMI-2 only lasted about 90 days.  Shoreham never made a nickel's worth of electricity that it could sell.  Nine Mile Point Unit 1, Ginna, and a few of that vintage are running better and longer than ever.   It's like the story about George Washington's axe.  A tourist asked a park ranger at Mount Vernon if that was really the same axe that G. W. had used to chop down the cherry tree.  The ranger replied that Washington had indeed cut down the tree with that very axe.  Although the handle had been replaced twice and the head once, it was still the same axe.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2008, 01:50 »
Several of the older plants and some of the not so older plants have been shutdown, dismantled, and their license terminated. That includes Yankee Rowe, Hombolt Bay, Maine Yankee, Trojan, San Onofre 1, Connecticut Yankee, Fermi 1, LaCrosse, Shippingport, Ft. St. Vrain, Zion 1 & 2, Rancho Seco 1 & 2, Saxton, and maybe some others that have been long since  forgotten. The plant is dismembered and the materials are sent off to be buried, reprocessed, incinerated, or surveyed and released.
The spent fuel is placed in dry fuel storage until a high level waste depository is built or until eternity, which ever comes first.
As for those plants that are still operating, well they a re still operating. They were initially licensed for 40 years, but the owners are requesting extension for an additional 20 years.
The NRC website is a good place to find info on operating plants. You can google the plants name (including the dead ones) and find more info and maybe some E-mail addresses or phone numbers for contacts.

rjc4243

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2008, 03:52 »
Oyster Creek has been operating since 1969 and is in the process of lcense extension for another 20 years.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2008, 08:02 »
i'm with scotoma on dis.  yinz knead any more info, go ahead 'n ask, but he laid it out pretty well. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2008, 07:34 »
Scotoma, minor correction to your post.  Not all of the facilities you listed are decommissioned yet.  Shutdown, long term "Safestore", yes.  Such as Humboldt Bay, Zion, etc.  For example, Humboldt Bay does not have a fully approved Decommissioning Plan yet.   8)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

safetyguy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2008, 08:46 »
Moderator or moderators....why are my posts being deleted?
Surely my asking for clarification on his question was not off topic?

??????????????
Please send me a message explaining and delete this post..
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008, 09:30 by safetyguy »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:19 »
Moderator or moderators....why are my posts being deleted?
Surely my asking for clarification on his question was not off topic?

???
Please send me a message explaining and delete this post..

The only messages that were deleted were the 2 in the favorive site coordinators thread, there was no other message deleted.  Acording to the system, you have only posted 5 messages, none of them in this thread other than your request for help above.

Jacob Goodman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:24 »
Thanks a lot guys I really apprectiate it.  I'll be sure to speak with more clarity next time.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:36 »

...The spent fuel is placed in dry fuel storage until a high level waste depository is built or until eternity, which ever comes first...

eternity is beginning to look like the status quo,...

coming soon a long time from now, in a backwater closer to your progeny than you think,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:45 »
eternity is beginning to look like the status quo,...

coming soon a long time from now, in a backwater closer to your progeny than you think,...

I've been to Chichen Itza!
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 05:15 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:59 »
I've beet to Chichen Itza!

as in beet feet?!?!?!

I double checked, "T" is too far from "N" on a QWERTY to be a missedt key,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2015, 05:15 »
as in beet feet?!?!?!

I double checked, "T" is too far from "N" on a QWERTY to be a missedt key,... 8)

I have REALLY fat fingers?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?