Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leaded Glass honeypot

Author Topic: Leaded Glass  (Read 16720 times)

LouDog777

Leaded Glass
« on: Mar 31, 2008, 04:41 »
This might seem a silly question to some "veteran" glovebox operators, but is there a quick and dirty way to tell if a glovebox window was made with leaded glass?  We don't use it here at the NTS, but the gloveboxes we are going to repackage from LLNL "might" have used them.

Thanks in advance,

Lou

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Leaded Glass
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008, 12:46 »
Most I have dealt with has had an amber to yellowish tint to it.  And the other distinction is of course the weight compaired to normal glass.

I your talking about a "glove box"  then my guess would be non leaded glass because the intended use of a glove box is contamination control and not for shielding.

If what you are referring to is an actual hot cell then Ill bet its leaded.

In either case I would try to find out and contact the manufacturer.

If repacking for shipment then not sure it would be a concern,  if repacking for disposal then perhaps a concern

hope that helps

sf

LouDog777

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:53 »
Thank you for the information.  From what I can tell on RTR, they are gloveboxes.  We have pretty good AK documents and there isn't any mention of hot cells.  Most of the gloveboxes were removed back in the 70's and 80's that we are going to be repacking.  We have buyoff from our state regulators to remove the EPA codes from certain materials, so if the glass isn't leaded, we can dispose of as straight LLW and not mixed.  Unfortunately, we don't have any manufacturer data on them either.  ::)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2008, 03:49 »
I'm not sure that disposal would be an issue, I'm pretty sure that leaded glass would pass a TCLP for lead as it is already stablized in the glass. I could be wrong not having disposed of any but that would be my guess.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2008, 12:44 »
May want to try these folks as a resource

http://www.raybar.com/

They make a lot of the leaded glass used in calibrators and since there in CA may have supplied LLNL or may be able to give you a good answer

sf

stownsend

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008, 02:43 »
We still have and use hotcell windows with oil filled glass which also gives them a yellow tint.

vikingfan

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:34 »
when I worked at battelle labs, we contracted with a company called hot cell services for guidance etc in removal and disposal of our hot cell windows. they may be able to assist you in your quest for answers. www.hotcell.com

:):)
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008, 05:36 by vikingfan »

LouDog777

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:47 »
Thanks all for the information, I will use it all.  ;D

raymcginnis

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2008, 01:07 »
I had a photo of one that I helped dispose of in a previous project.  This is one of the hot cell types, 3 or 4 feet thick, filled with oil to improve clarity.  The lead glass all has a characteristic yellow tint.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008, 10:31 by Ray McGinnis »

LouDog777

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2008, 02:02 »
From the information that folks have posted here and some of the stuff I've found online, it makes more sense.  I've had some folks here at the NTS come up with some pretty stupid explanations.  The gloveboxes that we will be repacking used the thinner glass panes. 

Thanks again.  ;D

cwo4gatz

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:46 »
lead glass is solf, scraches just looking at it, almost, if it has been around for awhile you may see lots of scraches on the outter face.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?