Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Still on med hold  

Author Topic: Still on med hold  (Read 21009 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Still on med hold
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:37 »
OK guys, id like to thank you in advance for your patience and support... I know I must be getting annoying, but you guys are the BEST source of non discriminate, non biased,  and knowledgable advice in the navy for me right now.

Ok, so Im STILLLL on med hold. No TLD, cant reenlist, LLD until mid june (at the very absolute earliest), doing PT 3 days a week. I wont be able to do ANYTHING soon, and Im getting super annoyed. Has this happened to anyone before? I really feel like I am getting run around, and no one in my COC is able to help, and no one has heard of this happening before. Will I be a paper boy for the next year??? Is there some way I can "push"? I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but my tld re request is now on Captain Mendala's(sp?, and hes NOT apart of my ship) desk waiting HIS personal approval.  I cant do anything about that one. Im seriously ready to either 1) write my congress man or 2) bug the captain. 

Good news is that everyone completely understands, no one has been giving me crap. So the personal aspect is much MUCH better then I expected.

To boil it down, I just wish they would S!@# or get off the pot...

JustinHEMI05

Re: Still on med hold
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:12 »
cant reenlist

I don't see the problem here. :) Welcome to the Navy.  ;D

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:15 »
I don't see the problem here. :) Welcome to the Navy.  ;D

Justin

Hahaha. good ol'e PAPER CLIP eh?

Edit for top post : physical therapy, not physical training.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:21 »
Im seriously ready to either 1) write my congress man or 2) bug the captain. 

Good news is that everyone completely understands, no one has been giving me crap.

Pursuing either of those options would probably end the goodwill as described above.  Just be thankful you aren't on an IA in the land of the sand.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:48 »
Pursuing either of those options would probably end the goodwill as described above.  Just be thankful you aren't on an IA in the land of the sand.

You are absolutely right. I should ride out sitting on my butt and not qualifying as long as possible. This is my FUTURE, not me whining about my job. Im getting the run around, no one knows what's going on, and I want answers. Notice I said Im "ready to" not "im going to".

the good will? I earned it. I work my butt off (even now), and do my job. Asking the captain to step in seems to be the next logical step for me, since no one can give me straight answers. The RHO is an awesome awesome person, and does his job, but he is in the dark as well. If a commander cant help me, who should? Im more or less asking people what they would do, and wondering if this has happened before to anyone.

EDIT : sorry to come off harsh, Im just sick and tired of being held up by medical issues. I spent 5 months in boot camp for this crap, and it needs to stop.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:50 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 10:58 »
if your departmental chain of command is not giving you answers, then the next step should be the CMC rather than the CO, however before talking to anyone outside of your department I would at least inform the department master cheif prior to jumping to the command level.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:44 »
"Youth is wasted on the young."  (Someone other than me came up with this one.)

Do the therapy and be happy.  It does happen that you might want to discuss this with someone other than your direct COC.  But, why?

You'll get some answers and if you don't like them there will be an appeal process available to you.

Until then just chill.

Don't go CycoticP on us ... alright?

haha :D Im just annoyed and tired.  therapy is fine and all, but I just dont like the thought of seperation being held in front of me for several months :(

93-383  - CMC? Well I suppose. Im not ready to fire from both barrels, I just want to be taken care of properly. 

I can only stay optimistic for so long -.-

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00 »
OK guys, id like to thank you in advance for your patience and support... I know I must be getting annoying, but you guys are the BEST source of non discriminate, non biased,  and knowledgable advice in the navy for me right now.

Ok, so Im STILLLL on med hold. No TLD, cant reenlist, LLD until mid june (at the very absolute earliest), doing PT 3 days a week. I wont be able to do ANYTHING soon, and Im getting super annoyed. Has this happened to anyone before? I really feel like I am getting run around, and no one in my COC is able to help, and no one has heard of this happening before. Will I be a paper boy for the next year??? Is there some way I can "push"? I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but my tld re request is now on Captain Mendala's(sp?, and hes NOT apart of my ship) desk waiting HIS personal approval.  I cant do anything about that one. Im seriously ready to either 1) write my congress man or 2) bug the captain. 

Good news is that everyone completely understands, no one has been giving me crap. So the personal aspect is much MUCH better then I expected.

To boil it down, I just wish they would S!@# or get off the pot...
CP,
  I have seen plenty of guys get put on med hold.  I, myself have been NPQ subs following spinal surgery.  Are you on LIMDU?  If you are, expect a 6 month wait.  It's the rules.  If you're not, use your COC.  You do not have a good reason to write your congressman:  What are you going to say, I have a medical condition and the navy is taking a conservative approach to my treatment, and won't let me be exposed to ionizing radiation?  What is really bugging you?  Somewhere in medical, they should be able to tell you what the wait is.  It may be the workload or maybe they are waiting for your PT to be completed.  The medical community has more to worry about than your re-enlistment bonus.  They have to be able to answer why they let somebody with a disqualifying medical condition (whether or not it got adjudicated at boot camp) be exposed to radiation from a naval nuclear propulsion plant.  E-mail me your info (no SSN) and I'll try to make some calls and at least find out how limiting your medical condition is.  The medical community is probably surprised they have someone who wants to get back to work.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

withroaj

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 10:28 »
If you've been wondering why an active duty submarine ELT can post to a nuke worker message board almost daily, it's because I am on limited duty following surgery.  I can only recommend that you work on whatever quals you can while you don't have a TLD, and sign up for some CLEPs or college courses while you wait.  Whatever you do, don't get frustrated with the fact that you aren't in the division.  Some in your division may naturally feel you are getting a good deal (which you could be, depending on how you use it -- xbox doesn't count), and give you crap for being a scam artist.  Don't sweat it.  Some day very soon you will have a TLD, and you will get all the opportunities to contribute to your division you can handle.  If you have access to RPM's, RCFS manuals or Water Chem's, you can read those.  If you are stuck doing 'boy' work for your division, do it and do it well.  Make as many improvements to the workcenter as you can while you don't have a TLD, and people will eventually trust you to tackle real issues once you are cleared to go. 

The biggest thing I can promise you is that there is plenty of work for a Navy nuke, with or without a TLD.  You also may want to apply your nuke work ethic to the non-nuke work you are assigned at this point.  That will definitely serve you better than allowing the non-nuke work ethic from your current job to take over before you return to a nuke billet.

Most of all, have fun!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21 »
Subnukederek - Im LLD for my back problems right now, but its unrelated to my medical hold. As for my medical hold, its not even ON the ship anymore. People above and beyond my RHO are taking care of it now, so I find it hard to go bug people on the ship about it. My name is in bright red on the status board in medical, and they are doing what they can. However, its not limiting from nuke duty, its limiting from being in the military. If it doesnt go through, Im OUT of the navy. As for reenlisting, guess what. I cant believe it, but I can reenlist right now! They wont stop that, but god forbid they give me a TLD lol
     Why do I want to write my congressman? Because this same thing happened to a shipmate on board. He went TWO years without a TLD. I will NOT wait that long. I didnt go through that hellish pipeline to be a berthing troll, I want to do my job!  In short, I want them to $#@% or get off the pot.

Only ONE person is giving me a hard time, and unfortunately he has some power. Its getting old, so I qualified some RP watches to get him off my butt. Hopefully it works (just qualified them, need them for watch supervisor anyway :D).

withroaj- The problem is that I AM attached to the division still. No one other then the person listed above me gives me a hard time. Sure I get a couple jokes, but they understand whats going on. As for quals and stuff, I did some RP watches that dont require a TLD, and also spoke with my khaki, and they are going to go ahead and let me qualify surface warfare! Since im E4, I dont need work center supervisor, so the qual should go smoothly. As for access to books, I unfortunately DONT have access. I have a green badge, meaning Im not supposed to even go in confidential storage areas, and the only place I go is the RM office after hours to do paper work for my work sup (I've done enough WAF's and Tag-outs to make my eyes bleed -.-).

thank you guys again for your help, ideas, and support, I appreciate it. 

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:43 »
If the problem you have is military limiting and not just nuke limiting REENLIST NOW.  I don't normally advocate screwing with the system like this, but if you reenlist now and wind up getting kicked out of the Navy you will get to keep your bonus.  Medical issues won't take it away.  It seems like you don't have any operational experience in the plant (aside from proto-pal watches), and I think that's what recruiters look for in Navy nukes, meaning you should get out with something set aside for college.  That means reenlist and SAVE the bonus money, don't piss it away.  If you get medically cleared and stay in, good news, right?  I think most people should reenlist for a term anyway (that way you can be a bit older with some more working experience when you get out), so if you stay in, no harm done.  Also if you get medically separated you will have a nice chunk of change stashed away (in addition to the sevarance pay that comes with involuntary separation (not fact checked)).  Either way you win.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:41 »
If the problem you have is military limiting and not just nuke limiting REENLIST NOW.  I don't normally advocate screwing with the system like this, but if you reenlist now and wind up getting kicked out of the Navy you will get to keep your bonus.  Medical issues won't take it away.  It seems like you don't have any operational experience in the plant (aside from proto-pal watches), and I think that's what recruiters look for in Navy nukes, meaning you should get out with something set aside for college.  That means reenlist and SAVE the bonus money, don't piss it away.  If you get medically cleared and stay in, good news, right?  I think most people should reenlist for a term anyway (that way you can be a bit older with some more working experience when you get out), so if you stay in, no harm done.  Also if you get medically separated you will have a nice chunk of change stashed away (in addition to the sevarance pay that comes with involuntary separation (not fact checked)).  Either way you win.

Even though this make me a little queasy to say, but I have to agree. Work the system. Reenlist.. if you get booted you keep it.. if you don't, well you were going to leap without looking anyway so you win all around.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:00 »
Well hell the system has worked us all over at least once, so go ahead and get one back for all of us.  You are doing everything you can and getting screwed.  If you were milking this or skating off, I would be less supportive, but based on what you told us, let the Nav figure out where your carrot and stick are placed.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06 »
The advice above is scary.  Its spot on too.

CP I know you wanted to 'Re-Enlist' anyway so with a heavy heart I would give you the same advice.  But, only because you really wanted to do that anyway.

The is exactly the only reason I suggested it, too.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:49 »
If it makes you feel any better, you can reenlist and if they still give you the boot you can always donate your bonus to Navy Relief or another charity.  There are several out there that are very good organizations. 

withroaj

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:19 »
I feel the need to justify what I said again.  It is for the reasons anyone who hears the logic can respect it.  Not for some thing like "the Navy screwed us, screw it back."  I don't really think the Navy screws us.  We voluntarily join, however naive our decision may be.  Some reenlist, some don't.  I don't think anyone gets out wishing they had never joined (unless they are a complete idiot).  I just think that a person can strategically plan taking advantage of a program perk from time to time, especially when he has a desire to reenlist anyway. 

Just make sure you reenlist at a bar or restaurant during working hours and invite the entire division (carrier) or department (sub) - everyone but the duty section and dinq nubs should be allowed to go.  Spread the wealth and the stigma of reenlisting before qualifying won't be so bad.  Then, if you get booted, you will at least get the legendary status among the anti-retention community of hooking up the div/dept before running off with a bunch of cash.  And then we could laaaugh and celebrate our differences.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2008, 03:18 »
Crap... cant reenlist now...

I read through milpersman 1910 (seperations)... section 2 of the first page...

"recoup, pro rata, money paid ....    .... for extending  a service obligation when that service is admin. terminated prior to successful completion"...

fudge. :( so If i reenlist, I would have to pay back my bonus, e5 pay, and other benefits of that! I wouldnt be able to hack that.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2008, 04:25 »
CP are you sure this applies to "Medical Discharges"?

You might want to double check this 'recoup for separation' info.

Its not a "medical discharge" i dont believe. I think it would be admin discharge due to pre existing medical conditions.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2008, 07:30 »
Its not a "medical discharge" i dont believe. I think it would be admin discharge due to pre existing medical conditions.

Ewwww, ya that would be one way of getting screwed. Good luck!

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:11 »
Well even if you did have to pay it back you could still make some money off of it.  Re-up, put it into a savings account, don't spend it, let it get some interest, then if they want it back you got it all right there plus a little extra.  Won't be much but better than none.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:17 »
Well even if you did have to pay it back you could still make some money off of it.  Re-up, put it into a savings account, don't spend it, let it get some interest, then if they want it back you got it all right there plus a little extra.  Won't be much but better than none.

Good advice if someone is disciplined enough to do what you suggest....

I would never recommend such a thing however.  Too many things that can go wrong. 
Its hard for someone who has never had that kind of money before to just "sit" on it. 
Plus, a typical savings account won't earn enough interest to make it worthwhile....if on the other hand you invested it wisely, you could make some money off it...of course there is inherent risk in that given the volatility of today's stock market.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2008, 01:54 »
1) Hmmmmmmmmm then the Navy may have voided your contract. 2)  If that is the case are you sure you have to 'return reenlistment bonuses'?

3) Or does it void a Re-Up due to a continued bad entrance physical exam?

4) If you are like other 'Admin Discharges' that I witnessed then you keep your bonus. 

5) Either way if you Re-Up and they ask you to perform NON-NUKE duties are you up for that?  6) Or, is this truly the 'Coup De Grace' of your enlistment if no waiver comes through?

1) this falls under that "defective enlistment" stuff on the other page.
2) 100% most definently. If I reenlisted, I would def. have to pay it back :(
3) It blows my mind, but Im actually able to reenlist RIGHT NOW, even with this bologne going on lol
4) Unfortunately its considered a "voluntary seperation", so I wouldnt get to. Reenlisting now would definently look poorly on me.
5) I signed up for 6 years as a nuclear operator. In my mind, I just cannot perform any other job, I just couldnt do it.
6) If my waivers dont come through, I get the big ugly axe. I could fight it, but that would add another 6 mo's to a year waiting on a med board to clear me.

Mr gamecock ->
I agree, sir. I personally would be tempted to pay off bills and get the wife a nice ring or something. Irresponsible, yes, but I am at least honest with myself to know that much :).

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: Jun 13, 2008, 03:23 »
6) If my waivers dont come through, I get the big ugly axe. I could fight it, but that would add another 6 mo's to a year waiting on a med board to clear me.

Yup, time to get on with your life.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:03 »
CP - I feel bad for you, man.  I hope they at least allow you to keep your initial enlistment bonus.  I've seen a guy get kicked out for cocaine and keep that (now that I think of it, he kept his REenlistment bonus, too).  Good luck.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2008, 02:25 »
CP - I feel bad for you, man.  I hope they at least allow you to keep your initial enlistment bonus.  I've seen a guy get kicked out for cocaine and keep that (now that I think of it, he kept his REenlistment bonus, too).  Good luck.

Thank you :)

I have some high ranking people on my side(divisional khaki, m div khaki love me too, and a couple PA's are in my interest as well) so hopefully all goes well).

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2008, 07:13 »
Still on med hold...

its getting old :(

I cant use my defective enlistment out any more, now I just have to wait it out :( Any thoughts or advice for yours truly would be much appreciated.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2008, 11:25 »
Two words:

TUITION ASSISTANCE

Go to your local Navy College Office, and the NCO website (https://www.navycollege.navy.mil).  Any work you do towards a college degree right now while you're still active duty will save you HUGE $$$$$$$$ down the road.

Good luck to you!
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

withroaj

« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2008, 12:27 »
You're an MM who can do anything but wear a TLD, right? Can't you qualify a bunch of non-TLD stuff on a carrier?  You should also put in to go to a bunch of schools, too.  QAI school was very informative (and boring) and from what I understand QAI opens up a lot of job opportunities post Navy.  Being on med hold should also give you plenty of study time, so you might as well become the most book-smart guy in the division.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2008, 01:19 »
You're an MM who can do anything but wear a TLD, right? Can't you qualify a bunch of non-TLD stuff on a carrier?  You should also put in to go to a bunch of schools, too.  QAI school was very informative (and boring) and from what I understand QAI opens up a lot of job opportunities post Navy.  Being on med hold should also give you plenty of study time, so you might as well become the most book-smart guy in the division.

Way ahead of you boss... Im qualified through work center sup. However, I cannot go further because I have to have plant access to get others (i.e. cleanliness inspector). As well, for theoretical knowledge, I can study that all I want, unfortunately for MM's, its mechanical and system knowledge that comes with OJT more then studying. I do what I can, but it's not enough to keep me busy 24/7.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2008, 08:46 »
Ask the boss if you can do some engineering quals, and qualify some extra DC locker quals.  Once you get the TLD, and prove your value to Reactor Department the extra quals will help make you stand out.

Try to see if you can do anything with the flying squad.  Qualify Aft Steering, See if you can qualify on the Helm.  All this will prove worth, and help with your pin.  There is always need for help on the beloved "FOD" walkdowns.  I have helped my hard chargers work on all of these quals, it all helps.

Keep your chin up.

S3GLMS

« Reply #30 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:54 »
As a nuke I qualified a lot of DC quals in my spare time on a cruiser, and it made a lot of difference.  I was a repair locker leader and it made an impression on the Eng and the rest of the department.  I really actually learned some interesting fire fighting and safety items that I did not get to see from the nuke perspective.  Those were extra non nuke quals that I really thought were useful even after I left the navy.  They are really not that hard, I just had to read the manuals and participate in the Repair div training with the DC men.  Later on, while on the ship when I had to ask the Eng for something in the plant he was always willing to listen to my needs because he knew I was willing to work.  That was the really invaluable part of the qualification that you could not add value to on the ship.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?