Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Still on med hold honeypot

Author Topic: Still on med hold  (Read 20990 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Still on med hold
« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2008, 07:13 »
Still on med hold...

its getting old :(

I cant use my defective enlistment out any more, now I just have to wait it out :( Any thoughts or advice for yours truly would be much appreciated.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2008, 11:25 »
Two words:

TUITION ASSISTANCE

Go to your local Navy College Office, and the NCO website (https://www.navycollege.navy.mil).  Any work you do towards a college degree right now while you're still active duty will save you HUGE $$$$$$$$ down the road.

Good luck to you!
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

withroaj

« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2008, 12:27 »
You're an MM who can do anything but wear a TLD, right? Can't you qualify a bunch of non-TLD stuff on a carrier?  You should also put in to go to a bunch of schools, too.  QAI school was very informative (and boring) and from what I understand QAI opens up a lot of job opportunities post Navy.  Being on med hold should also give you plenty of study time, so you might as well become the most book-smart guy in the division.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2008, 01:19 »
You're an MM who can do anything but wear a TLD, right? Can't you qualify a bunch of non-TLD stuff on a carrier?  You should also put in to go to a bunch of schools, too.  QAI school was very informative (and boring) and from what I understand QAI opens up a lot of job opportunities post Navy.  Being on med hold should also give you plenty of study time, so you might as well become the most book-smart guy in the division.

Way ahead of you boss... Im qualified through work center sup. However, I cannot go further because I have to have plant access to get others (i.e. cleanliness inspector). As well, for theoretical knowledge, I can study that all I want, unfortunately for MM's, its mechanical and system knowledge that comes with OJT more then studying. I do what I can, but it's not enough to keep me busy 24/7.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2008, 08:46 »
Ask the boss if you can do some engineering quals, and qualify some extra DC locker quals.  Once you get the TLD, and prove your value to Reactor Department the extra quals will help make you stand out.

Try to see if you can do anything with the flying squad.  Qualify Aft Steering, See if you can qualify on the Helm.  All this will prove worth, and help with your pin.  There is always need for help on the beloved "FOD" walkdowns.  I have helped my hard chargers work on all of these quals, it all helps.

Keep your chin up.

S3GLMS

« Reply #30 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:54 »
As a nuke I qualified a lot of DC quals in my spare time on a cruiser, and it made a lot of difference.  I was a repair locker leader and it made an impression on the Eng and the rest of the department.  I really actually learned some interesting fire fighting and safety items that I did not get to see from the nuke perspective.  Those were extra non nuke quals that I really thought were useful even after I left the navy.  They are really not that hard, I just had to read the manuals and participate in the Repair div training with the DC men.  Later on, while on the ship when I had to ask the Eng for something in the plant he was always willing to listen to my needs because he knew I was willing to work.  That was the really invaluable part of the qualification that you could not add value to on the ship.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?