Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuclear Program honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Nuclear Program  (Read 36575 times)

Lisa

Navy Nuclear Program
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:40 »
My son was just except to the Navy nuclear program, does anyone have any suggestions for him?

Offline metalman40

• RCT
  • Moderate User
  • Life sucks then you die.
Re: Navy Nuclear Program
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 04:43 »
Study long and often.
Sometimes you just want to say dilligaf and go dfr.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2004, 06:17 »
Study.
Forget the beach, the bars, Disney World, women, and anything not nuclear.
Put in all the study hours they suggest and half as many more.  Even if you flunk out, they keep a record of your study hours and use them in determining your next assignment.  I had friends who were dropped and sent to some really plum duty.  Other friends were sent to places you don't want to think about.  The difference was the recommendation of the class advisor - period!
If you do what that person tells you, try really hard, and ask for help when you need it, there are two possible outcomes - you will pass, or you will fail and get good consideration for your effort.  If you get on the wrong side by doing minimum study, showing apathy, or goofing off, you can only get shafted.
It only lasts for a few months, even a young person can sacrifice having a life for that long.  It is really worth the effort.
Another thing I can say is that if your son is accepted to that program, he is a very inteligent person and there are other opportunities waiting someone like him.  He should vigorously pursue an officer candidate program like NROTC.
Best of fortune to him and you.
Troy - NPS class 8103
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004, 06:19 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:15 »
30 if you like it, 20 if you don't....

capper

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2004, 12:43 »
I have to go with the study hard answer.  The school is tuff and many many people struggle to complete it.  But thats the whole point of the program. 

As far as the navy goes....  Well, most of us got out because life is so much better on the outside.  With that said, the Navy was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I received a great education, experience, lived in Hawaii, and met the women of my dreams.  I got a great job, with great money and good benefits. 

Tell him to take it as it comes, stay calm and he will do fine.

Later,
Mike-NPS 9501

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:05 »
Work hard, study hard, and make it count!
Navy Campus has many programs available to let your son get his BS degree during his first six years on active duty. After his first six years, he can use that BS as a stepping stone to a Master's Degree while in the Navy or with his GI Bill upon discharge.

By the way, I believe it is NPS Charleston now, at the old Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek, SC. Focusing on studies will still be important. :)
NPS Orlando 8502
NPTU Windsor Locks 8502
USS M. G. Vallejo
USS Yellowstone
USS J. C. Calhoun
USS Sand Lance
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

maxparity

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2004, 09:11 »
Study hard-yes.Forget everything else life has to offer for 6 months-absolutely not.I-a section two rock- on mandatory study hrs. first half-Fridays off on cruise control second half-3.61 on the comp.-rarely if ever missed a chance to party hardy.Lived off base and hosted nightly study sessions at my apt. tutored by Mr. Jack Daniels(Lem Motlow proprieter).Class 7902, A1W, ELT on USS Nimitz 80-84.My advice to the young man-get your education,put in your six and hit the bricks.Life is good external to Uncle Sams Navy-Good Luck !!!

JassenB

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004, 09:31 »
Congratulations to your son for making a very good career move.

#1 piece of advice I give to anyone going into the service: You are there first and foremost to protect the greatest country on Earth -- never forget it.

#2: Do your job -- whether you like it or not.

#3: Study hard in power school, and party not-so-hard.

Also, if he doesn't have *at least* an associate's degree by the time he's out, Uncle Sam got the better end of the deal (financially).

-Jassen

-NNPS Class 9702
-RE Division, USS Theodore Roosvelt (CVN-71)  --- the world's FINEST nuclear powered aircraft carrier --- HOORAH!

moodusjack

« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2004, 05:47 »
Tell him to do six and get out.  That ole boy, the Retention Chief, will be all over him.  Give him this simple afformation to say every day,"Reup pay is pennies a day compared to what I make on a holiday".

And tell him to study.  Get a degree.  Take every training course they offer.

GARYGWOODJR

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2004, 12:55 »
I am currently the Engineering Department Master Chief on a submarine.  I have been in 20 years and retire in the next few months.  I see young kids like your son come to my boat every day.  I will give you a list of the things that I would recommend, some of which are a repeat of the information already posted.

1. Work hard and do what you are told (within reason) from the time you enter the program until you get out.

2. Get all qulifications done as soon as possible so you can start working on college and going to Navy schools.  If he has a choice and want to get an education, try to get on an SSBN(tident submarine) so he will have more time for school.  He will also get more Navy schools.     

3. Learn about your college benefits and do not leave the Navy without a degree.  He can take couses onboard ship for about $50.00 each.  CLEP exams are free and he can take as many as he wants.  Tuition assistance is 100% (books not included) but is limited to about 12 credit hours a year.  If he is going to sea he probably wont have time for more than that.  Old Dominion University and Thomas Edison State College have programs in Nuclear Engineering Technology that give him credit for Navy Nuclear Power School.

4.  Reenlistment bonuses are enormous (40-60,000 dollars).  If I was new to the Navy and didnt want to stay in for 20 or more years I would re-enlist at my two year point in the Navy and tough it out until my time was up.  Under programs that currently exist reenlisting at that point will only require him to stay in for 8 years total.  That way he would get out with enough money to buy a house (assuming he saved it) and a college degree.

5.  Depending on his technical specialty he can apply for DOL jouneyman apprenticeship program and get credited for half of the 8000 hours required to complete the certification.  He will get credit for the rest of the hours for what he is going to be doing on a daily basis.  All he has to do is fill out the paperwork.  It may no seem like musch but a journeyman electrician makes pretty decent money.

6. Log on to this website often and keep up with the industry if he wants to do this for a living.  I have learned a ton here in the last few days.

This may seem like alot of information but these are all things that I have learned the hard way.  The number one lesson I learned is that you have to take care of yourself and ask the right people questions.

You can find more information www.navy.milwww.nko.navy.mil , and www.bupers.navy.mil.

Gary

NPS 8504
S8G Prototype
USS Von Steuben
USS Daniel Webster
NPTU Charleston
USS Jacksonville
Submarine Squadron 16
USS Pennsylvania
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2004, 01:03 by WINGSFAN »

moke

« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2004, 09:17 »
Hi Wingsfan,

Thank you for your input.

Have an Awesome Week!

Moke ;D

20 Years Gone

« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2004, 10:36 »
Have him write down the following on a 3x5 card, stick in his wallet, and refer to them often as he progresses.

The 14 Nuclear Commandments
1.  Never allow yourself to go dink
2.  Never gundeck PMS
3.  Never backdoor your supervisor
4.  Never do anything that causes you to lose respect for yourself
5.  Never mess around with another sailors wife (or husband)
6.  Never sleep on watch
7.  Never believe your time/sleep/liberty is better than someone elses
8.  Never convince yourself there is too much stress
9.  Always make the best of liberty
10.  Always give officers their due respect
11.  Always, whe you feel you're right, stick to your guns
12.  Always, when proven wrong, accept it and change
13.  Always give 100%
14.  Always remember your commitment is to your country.

Some of these won't make sense to him right away, but they will before it's over. 

Wish him the best of luck from someone at the end of 20 years, to someone just starting out.

Classs of 8503, S1W, Carl Vinson, NFAS, Enterprise...etc etc

kwicslvr

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2004, 08:16 »
#10 LOL!

Respect is a two way street.  Don't allow yourself to be dumped on.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2004, 08:18 by kwicslvr »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:40 »
"it's not just a job...it's an adventure!"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2004, 12:42 »
or was that "Join the Navy and *clean* the world" ? :)

Austria

« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2004, 01:56 »
I think it really is "Join the Navy and see the world". It's just that we usually forget that the world is 70% water.  ;)

But seriously, from the luxury of looking back over time, I can say it was a great experience, excellent training, and a program that really did lead to a good career in civilian life.

My advice to anyone getting into the Nuke Program would be to remember these three words...."Attention to detail!"

That was gospel in boot camp and it paid off big time to remember that my entire enlistment.

Flooznie

« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:50 »
The 14 commandments, that is Just as Gospel back then as it was today.  That is absolutely right about studying extra hours so if you get the fail out, you will get a hook up.  Something else that they will burn you at the stake for:

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get caught drinking underage at NNPTC.
I lost many many a buddy to that crime.  The old CO Bob Brandhuber would instantly de-nuke you and send you to CCU.  Don't fall into that trap. 

Never gundeck logs, sleep on watch or blaze your PMS.  They will crucify you for that.  That is like the Nuclear Cardinal sin. 

My personal lesson: Never argue with someone while you are starting up the reactor, especially if you are the Reactor Operator. (LOL)

While you at the school, don't give 100%.  Give 200%, put your heart into it, and never give up.

ET1 (ss)
NPS 9802
USS Santa Fe 1999-2002
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2004, 02:50 by Flooznie »

moke

« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:17 »
A thank you note to all! From Lisa.

hello, my name is Lisa and i asked a question about the navy program, i wanted to post a thank you, but i do not know how to, have tried several times, if you have time could you send me a note on how to do that, i need to say thanks for all the nice responses, thanks and have a nice day,

Lisa

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?