Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu wife questions honeypot

Author Topic: wife questions  (Read 19254 times)

JJohnson1989

wife questions
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:44 »
So, I was told that when we dock we get 4 out of five days off, and I was also told that I could fly my wife out there to meet me there. now, how does this work, can i stay with her, do I have to return to ship every night, was I just flat out malinformed?

also, what is shore duty like for a nuke?

I know nothing, and it's coming fast

JustinHEMI05

Re: wife questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59 »
Hmmm, need a little more info. But, I will make some assumptions. I assume you are talking about pulling into a foreign port. In a nutshell, if its a liberty port, any day you don't have duty should be a day off. But, if somethings broke or, you just have a giant douche of an EDMC, then you could have a "working" port. In which case you would work some set working hours then be off, if you are not on duty. Ok then. So lets assume all is well and it is a liberty port. Depending on your commands rules, you may or may not have to return to the ship at night. It may or may not depend on things like your quals, your rank, your disciplinary status, the political status of the country you are in, etc. The only person who can tell you your ships rules is someone on your ship. So I suggest asking your LPO. Now, for the next part, it doesn't matter if you have to return to the ship or not. You can have your wife fly out and meet you. People do it all the time. But, the best way to guarantee that you have time together that is not interrupted by things like duty, "working" days, and returning to the ship is to drop a leave chit for while you are in port. By all means, if you are allowed by command policy, don't stay on the ship in port.

Justin

PS You will have a briefing before pulling into every port as to what all the rules are for that port. Sometimes they change and there are also cultural rules you need to be aware of so that you don't cause an international incident and start WWIII (like not picking the oranges in Rota Spain).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:04 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:13 »
Recruiters have been using that line since Noah was a Seaman Recruit.

In 8 years, I had one liberty port - Antalya Turkey - where we had liberty when not on duty.  Because we were nukes, and there was no shore power (we were anchored out in the harbor a ways) we stood port/starboard watches one day, had the next day on shore, back to the boat for a day of watches and the fourth day on shore.  Then we went back to Italy to work on fixing the stuff that leaked.

All other "liberty" ports (there were not many of those) were shortened work days between duty days, with maybe one full day off.

Once in almost never in a while, a forward guy (non-nuke), who took leave while in port, would fly his wife in and take her sight-seeing.

Carriers are probably a lot different, but they don't do a lot of port calls either.  There are no places to dock a ship that size in most foreign ports.  Then there are the countries that won't allow nuclear powered ships, or ships with nuclear weapons.

My advice to you is that if you want to "see the world" the Navy might help with that, but if you want to be a world-traveler (especially with a spouse) save your money and do it on your own time.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

JJohnson1989

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24 »
i would like to see the world, sure,  i would like a jumpstart as a plant worker, but i would also like to see my wife, world traveler has nothing to do with it

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12 »
i would like to see the world, sure,  i would like a jumpstart as a plant worker, but i would also like to see my wife, world traveler has nothing to do with it

Just do what I said and ask your LPO and pay attention at the port briefs. He gave only his experience, yours will be totally different. It just depends. I experienced both on a fast attack... on one deployment any time not on duty was liberty time. On the other, our douche EDMC decided nukes will have only working ports. So we worked everyday. But either way, guys still had time to have their wives come out. Again, take leave when in doubt.

Justin

Wirebiter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06 »
And make sure you get a refundable ticket!  I lost a good chunk of change when a scheduled port visit to Scotland was shifted one week to the right.  >:(

JJohnson1989

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28 »
thats actually some useful advise there, i never would of thought

Wirebiter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:12 »
thats actually some useful advise there, i never would of thought

Grasshopper, you have started well on your journey to enlightenment.  For he who knows that he knows not is ignorant; he shall be taught!

Hope it works out and have fun!

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 04:03 »
I gotta say it!

If the Navy wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 05:46 »
I was wondering who would break down and when.  I was almost there.

You will hear that again.

You will hear how unfair it is that you get paid more money than a single sailor who does the same job as you.

You will hear that the single guys always take one for the team by pulling the  worst duty days or taking a reactor shutdown so you can catch a few hours with your family. 

And then, you will bring up the fact that you haven't seen your wife in months when you are asking for leave, liberty, or some other favor; and somebody will cut loose with the old standby that the navy did not issue you a wife.  The idea that a married man might want to spend time with his wife will carry you so far and no farther.  You will have to repay a lot of favors and still somebody is going to remind you that your choice to marry was your choice and not his problem.

Some day, you will be hoping to take leave to spend with your family, and some single guy in your division with like 88 days on the books will want leave at the same time.  If you try so much as to HINT that you should be given leave instead of him because you are married, you will try to build a time machine to go back and erase the day you were born.  The brothers won't be heartless.  Everybody will try to do what is best for everybody, but do not under any circumstance try to use being married as a reason for any special consideration or you will find that your brothers aren't going to help you anymore.

Hope you get into a division full of married guys who understand or a division of all single guys who will take turns helping you out.  But, the best thing to do is to prepare yourselves emotionally, financially, mentally, physically, and spiritually for long periods of separation with no compensation for your hardship and sacrifice.

Expect to work at your job 24/7/365.  That way, when you get off the ship at 10 p.m. on Friday and have duty Sunday, you will appreciate Saturday.

You are going to miss her birthday, your birthday, your kids' birthdays (likely the actual birth of one or more children), your anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving, ... basically everything at least most of the time.

If she's not ready for that, do NOT enlist in the Navy.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 11:11 »
I was wondering who would break down and when.  I was almost there.

You will hear that again.

You will hear how unfair it is that you get paid more money than a single sailor who does the same job as you.

You will hear that the single guys always take one for the team by pulling the  worst duty days or taking a reactor shutdown so you can catch a few hours with your family. 

And then, you will bring up the fact that you haven't seen your wife in months when you are asking for leave, liberty, or some other favor; and somebody will cut loose with the old standby that the navy did not issue you a wife.  The idea that a married man might want to spend time with his wife will carry you so far and no farther.  You will have to repay a lot of favors and still somebody is going to remind you that your choice to marry was your choice and not his problem.

Some day, you will be hoping to take leave to spend with your family, and some single guy in your division with like 88 days on the books will want leave at the same time.  If you try so much as to HINT that you should be given leave instead of him because you are married, you will try to build a time machine to go back and erase the day you were born.  The brothers won't be heartless.  Everybody will try to do what is best for everybody, but do not under any circumstance try to use being married as a reason for any special consideration or you will find that your brothers aren't going to help you anymore.

Hope you get into a division full of married guys who understand or a division of all single guys who will take turns helping you out.  But, the best thing to do is to prepare yourselves emotionally, financially, mentally, physically, and spiritually for long periods of separation with no compensation for your hardship and sacrifice.

Expect to work at your job 24/7/365.  That way, when you get off the ship at 10 p.m. on Friday and have duty Sunday, you will appreciate Saturday.

You are going to miss her birthday, your birthday, your kids' birthdays (likely the actual birth of one or more children), your anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving, ... basically everything at least most of the time.

If she's not ready for that, do NOT enlist in the Navy.

Wise words many marriages do not survive a tour in the Navy.

JJohnson1989

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35 »
she is ready, shes more ready than I am, but I know what to expect. We are definitely not having children yet, but if by chance we do, I know we can work through it; I just don't want to do that to my children.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 09:40 »
Try to plan it so you have your children close to the end of your enlistment.
This will do two things:
1- It will provide you the kick to get off the fence about re-enlisting.  If you are only 75 - 80% sure that you are going to get out.  Having young children will get you to 100%. 
2- Likewise, if you really want to make it a career, the hardest part will be over before you have to deal with the pressures of being a new father.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34 »
Maybe an urban legend, but maybe not...

A news agency was doing a story on Navy men and their families.  They interviewed this crusty old MCPO that had just retired at like 20+years.  They asked him how, after all the deployments, underways, and time away from his wife and family, he was able to stay married.  His reply?

"Don't whistle while you pack"
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Wirebiter

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:23 »

Well, if he goes subs and gets a T-hull, he can probably get a choice of being there for the birth or the conception, but not both.......

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10 »
Try to plan it so you have your children close to the end of your enlistment.
This will do two things:
1- It will provide you the kick to get off the fence about re-enlisting.  If you are only 75 - 80% sure that you are going to get out.  Having young children will get you to 100%. 
2- Likewise, if you really want to make it a career, the hardest part will be over before you have to deal with the pressures of being a new father.

3. Don't fall for the false sense of hope that staying navy is job security and free health care. Seen many young guys with young families fall for that... and guess who did the convincing? It wasn't the navy... it was the wife. Don't be afraid of the outside.

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:31 »
Well, if he goes subs and gets a T-hull, he can probably get a choice of being there for the birth or the conception, but not both.......

That's funny, don't care who ya are ;) !

proud dad

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37 »
He might want to give some thought to this one.As I understand, the Navy does not always give you your first choice

alphacookie

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 12:01 »

I think this statment is not entirely true.  If you take a patrol cycle and multiply it by 3 (1 offcrew for doin' the nasty and some cookin the oven, one patrol for some more cookin, and another offcrew for some more cookin' and the birthin'), you can clearly see that a couple has approximately two months to spare for the conception to birth process to play out (40 weeks).  If you have been on a T-hull or are on one and are married you would know this.  Unless patrol cycles have changed since I have been in, your statement is not correct.  Yes, it does take some planning, but a smart nuke can figure it out.

A T-hull is your best bet to conceive and witness the birth of your child while on sea duty.  You have a much lower chance on a fast boat.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:10 by alphacookie »

Wirebiter

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:00 »
I think this statment is not entirely true.  If you take a patrol cycle and multiply it by 3 (1 offcrew for doin' the nasty and some cookin the oven, one patrol for some more cookin, and another offcrew for some more cookin' and the birthin'), you can clearly see that a couple has approximately two months to spare for the conception to birth process to play out (40 weeks).  If you have been on a T-hull or are on one and are married you would know this.  Unless patrol cycles have changed since I have been in, your statement is not correct.  Yes, it does take some planning, but a smart nuke can figure it out.

A T-hull is your best bet to conceive and witness the birth of your child while on sea duty.  You have a much lower chance on a fast boat.

I guess HydroDave was the only one to see my meek attempt at humor.  The statement was implying a sense of marital unfaithfullness, not ju......nevermind.  I'll leave my bad jokes at the door.

-Rob

JsonD13

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05 »
Don't worry I caught it too.  Just didn't feel it was on topic, or appropriate for me to reply to that one!

Jason

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 06:23 »

I seem to vaguely remember a bar called the Delmar outside of NL base....all those poor boomer widows..... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Wirebiter

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 03:08 »
Don't worry I caught it too.  Just didn't feel it was on topic, or appropriate for me to reply to that one!

Jason

Fair enough  ;D

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 06:33 »
I seem to vaguely remember a bar called the Delmar outside of NL base....all those poor boomer widows..... ;)

Boomer widows hung out at Christopher's.  The Del Mar was fer hoggin'

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 07:22 »
The "Love Boat" was good tuna hunting grounds too!
Call Before You Dig!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?