Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about Nuke School honeypot

Author Topic: Question about Nuke School  (Read 23773 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Question about Nuke School
« Reply #25 on: Jun 03, 2008, 01:48 »
You have a choice to accept or decline the promotion. Accepting it adds 2 years to your initial enlistment.

Upon reflection, I should have choosen not to accept it  However, it's easy for me to say this now. At the time, it's the money that mattered and it would have been weird to be an E-3 among your fellow E-4 peers. But I do remember a guy who was demoted back to E-3 for something dumb he did.

Well that is much more of a common occurance these days to see nuke E3s, heck even saw a few E2s and even an E1 Nuke student going through the pipeline.  They just don't kick em out like they used to back in the day.  Welcome to the "no NUB left behind" nuclear navy(to kinda quote another poster on this forum).
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #26 on: Jun 03, 2008, 02:17 »
Well that is much more of a common occurance these days to see nuke E3s, heck even saw a few E2s and even an E1 Nuke student going through the pipeline.  They just don't kick em out like they used to back in the day.  Welcome to the "no NUB left behind" nuclear navy(to kinda quote another poster on this forum).

I took my slacker, never-come-to work-on-time, can't qualify Log Recorder Electrician to CO's mast 4 times.  He was finally reduced in rank all the way to E-1, but Charlie Oscar refused to de-nuke him.  The kid was still an nuke E1 when I transferred.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

dan11

« Reply #27 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:18 »
I was just asked to go to the Navy Nuke field and I was wondering what level of math and science you are expected to know and what level of math and science you start at in Nuke school. I passed the Nuke test and got a 93 on my ASVAB but haven't been to school in years and can only remember VERY basic chemistry and algebra 2.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 06:20 by dan11 »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:29 »
Well the good news is that by now you have forgotten quite a bit of all that stuff, so when the Navy teaches it to you their way, it won't hurt so bad trying to force out the old stuff.  

But on a serious note, you will not see anything past some advanced algebra and pre-calculus like logrithms, exponents, etc.  You don't get into deriviatives, limits, or anything like that.  Most of what you will see will be taught to you the Navy way and you would be amazed how much comes screaming back into your head, usually carrying a red hot poker with it.  

Chemistry is pretty basic stuff, like balancing chemical equations, electron shell theory, and pH calculations.  You aren't going to be asked to come up with the chemical formula for "unobtainium"(Bonus points for whoever can name the movie that this was on).  Once again the navy will provide you the method for which they want you to know it.  

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:34 »
Always loved the "briefly describe in detail" that ended up being two pages front and back.  

Also love these remarks....

-1pt for not assuming 3 ft approx equal to 1 meter
-1pt for not assuming ELT approx 1.5 meters by 2 meters in area
-1pt for not assuming approx 2 hours to clean up spill.

CTE at protosuck, Radcon problem that involved a pipe with certain level of contamination, pipe bust, some went to bilge, some went to air, some got swallowed.  You got 30 Minutes.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:37 »
No but we will (be asked it seems).

Answer:  'The Core'

Ding, Ding, Ding.  Now tell 'em what he has won.

A trip to exotic ports all over the world, a substantial amount of bonus money, and some new friends.  Just sign here and here on this dotted line and raise your right hand to claim your prize.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:42 »
Uh ........... NO THANKS.  No hard feelings though.  I've got freedom and the lap of luxury in my mirrors and direct vision devices/viewfinders.

Really it is a great job.  You get to work with the smartest people in the military.  We pay you the most.  You job is full of rewards.  Not to mention you get money for college.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:47 »
I need an adult beverage immediately.  (You do that so well by the way.) 

After careful thought and deliberation I've concluded that your offer is not up to my standards of living at this moment and will check back in when I can get a free trip (All expensese paid of course) to Australia.

Modified to mention (only because I'm dealing with Navy Nukes):
Without any strings attached (like joining the Navy to do it).  Frikin' Nukes!

You got another cold one of those... 

All that shoveling BS left me thirsty.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?