Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 1 year and 1 month and getting out ( diabetes) nuke honeypot

Author Topic: 1 year and 1 month and getting out ( diabetes) nuke  (Read 6903 times)

california408

It is not official but i have all the syptoms of a type 1 diabetic. i know the symptoms because my MOM AND DAD type 1 diabetics. i get the blood test tomorrow and i will update ASAP. please answer as if so... chances are likely i am. BTW i am married with a 1 year old son
i finished mm school and power school. 1 yr and a month in

my questions are

1 what type of benifits will i recieve as a medically dischared sailor if any? ( VA or state CA),
if so how long will i recieve them?

2 will the navy at least help me move back home to CA?

3 Jobs i may qualify for?

4 are there any civilian jobs that may hold me back for being a type 1 diabetic?

justatech

Re: 1 year and 1 month and getting out ( diabetes) nuke
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00 »
I can't answer your military related questions.

But I can help you with the diabetic end of it. I have several family members and friends that are insulin dependant and diet regulated. The only field to date that I am aware of that you may have difficulty getting into is that of a police officer. I know this because of a family member that was going that route however at the time his insulin wasn't regulated correctly and was having problems.

I work with several coworkers who are diabetics and they are still in nukes and it doesn't matter if it's regulated by diet or insulin - as long as you take care of it - don't let it take over your life - control it.

I personally, when working with a diabetic want to know this. I say this because in case you are having a problem I want to be able to help prior to your sugar dropping lower than necessary. You know what I mean since your family is diabetic too.

mlslstephens

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:25 »
It is not official but i have all the syptoms of a type 1 diabetic. i know the symptoms because my MOM AND DAD type 1 diabetics. i get the blood test tomorrow and i will update ASAP. please answer as if so... chances are likely i am. BTW i am married with a 1 year old son

my questions are

1 what type of benifits will i recieve as a medically dischared sailor if any? ( VA or state CA),

4 are there any civilian jobs that may hold me back for being a type 1 diabetic?

I too can't help much with the military issues, however, my daughter was diagnosed last Sept.  I am on terminal leave now and I retire soon and we just received my daughters pump this week.  Being active, tricare paid 100% of the 7000 that the pump cost and we are about to get the continuous glucose monitor because once I retire, I am back to the 80%.  The supplies are expensive so use tricare as much as possible.  If you do get forced out, your VA should help alot; however, ensure as you look for a new job, that you heavily consider the medicare piece of the puzzle.
If you truly are Type 1, I doubt your endochronologist will put you on a pump right away.  They want to see you manage your glucose levels "manually" first.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or just want to ask questions.  We had thousands of questions at first.  Good luck and as always...thanks for serving.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12 »
I am pretty sure you are entitled to a home of record move, at least. Is there not someone at your command that can answer these seemingly simple military questions? The money part... thats all infinitely different case to case. You are likely to get something in a severance but you are likely to have to pay that back via your VA disability. As far as employment, you are likely employable to someone, but its going to take work. You are going to just have to start networking and talking to people. Each utility is different in so far as their hiring qualifications go. Some may hire you as an NLO some may not. Your diabetes has nothing really to do with that. I have two NLOs on my crew who are diabetic. Good luck!

Justin

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40 »
Anyone discharged with other than a Dishonorable or Bad Conduct Discharge is entitled to travel and moving expenses back to the place where he/she entered active duty.  This may be different from your home of record.  I enlisted in Pittsburgh; my home of record was New London; I went to upstate New York.  I was discharged in New London and paid back to Pittsburgh.

BUT that was 21 years ago.  Call the Travel Claims section of your Disbursing Office.  They know a whole lot more about this than the YN on your boat.  Carriers may be different.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 05:57 »

my questions are

Unfortunately for you, You DONT have the nuclear NEC. I'd speak with your LCPO about this, and talk to medical and legal a LOT. Im in a similar (kind of), and I got a lot of answers from them, AS WELL as this website. Read my posts for info on whats happening.

IF you are medically discharged, you WILL get travel pay. You will also get seperation pay. And, since you are over your 1 year point, you have payed off your GI bill (you better have gotten that!!!!), so you will be able to go to college and get a good degree and enjoy civilian life :)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 06:18 »
Unfortunately for you, You DONT have the nuclear NEC. I'd speak with your LCPO about this, and talk to medical and legal a LOT. Im in a similar (kind of), and I got a lot of answers from them, AS WELL as this website. Read my posts for info on whats happening.

IF you are medically discharged, you WILL get travel pay. You will also get seperation pay. And, since you are over your 1 year point, you have payed off your GI bill (you better have gotten that!!!!), so you will be able to go to college and get a good degree and enjoy civilian life :)

I think you must have 36 months of service to qualify for the GI Bill

UPDATE: I was partialy correct you get less benifit if you are less than 36 months
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:25 by 93-383 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 06:28 »
I think you must have 36 months of service to qualify for the GI Bill

UPDATE: I was partialy correct you get less benifit if you are less than 36 months

3 years?! I thought it was 2! Hmmph... this may be an issue for me as well. Can you show me the website you referenced please?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:33 »
You know, it is pretty sad that some of you are incapable of actually getting the facts from the source on your own. Read the category I items

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH30/CH30_Pamphlet_General.htm

Justin
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:35 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:10 »
You know, it is pretty sad that some of you are incapable of actually getting the facts from the source on your own. Read the category I items

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH30/CH30_Pamphlet_General.htm

Justin

Well they keep changing it. Hard to keep up with other stuff going on.

Id like to point out category three, seems like he is still elidgible
CATEGORY III

* Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II
    * On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91,
    * OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93,
    * OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
    * Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:34 »
Well they keep changing it. Hard to keep up with other stuff going on.

Id like to point out category three, seems like he is still elidgible
CATEGORY III

* Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II
    * On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91,
    * OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93,
    * OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
    * Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200

Actually, they don't keep changing it.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?