Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu legal troubles outside of the US and my security clearance.

Author Topic: legal troubles outside of the US and my security clearance.  (Read 7881 times)

abc123

I am a female who lived in the UK on exchange from my school for 2 years, during my last year, right before  i left, i was dating an abusive guy, i never pressed charges or called the police, yet he put a program  on my computer, a key logger, and foudn i was planning on leaving, not telling him, and going back to stay with an ex back here in the states (who is a best friend now)  Long story short, he got very violent, we both fought, he called the police and made many accusations against me and I ended up in jail. Yes me.  It was our place, both our names on the lease but I was kicked out.  Anyway, i spent a week in jail at which time i found out he pressed like 20 charges against me some felonies some not ranging from mischief to assault, to sexual assault, AGAINST HIM!

long story short, I was scheduled to leave the country two days after I got released and did so giving the finger to the UK government and goign on with my life in america.  I then saw a navy recruiter, he told me that my legal troubles out side of the US would not matter, I got into the nuke program and here I am.  pending arrest warrants and charges in the UK, were i lived for 2 years, and a spotless record in the US.  (i've never done anything wrong. .. )  The guy has continued to press charges even though i'm gone!  My lawyer said it would be no issue, I have no record because there was no conviction, my recruiter, the district head recruiter, and the nuke recruiter all said it wasn't an issue, I went to meps in California nothing came up on the background investigation of the criminal records and everyone says i'm good to go.  they said they won't re-check criminal records since the check was done and completed a couple days ago and i leave in only a couple weeks.

Am I? I can't afford to go back to New CAstle to straighten this mess out and now i'm facing jail if i do because i avoided the courts. (my father is also on his last days due to cancer so that is another reason i've decided to stay here)

are the recruiters right, they won't find anything out or what?  I can't help but think they will check my UK criminal record since I lived there for the past 2 years. 

Advice is appreciated :D

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
To be honest with you I don't think that this forum would be the best place to get your answers.  Unless someone on here practices international law or is a JAG, the advice we give you could be flawed.  With that, you should probably talk to your recruiter about this if you already haven't and possible talk to a JAG(navy lawyer if you never saw the TV show) to ensure that these issues aren't a problem.  Also get everything they say in writing that way if something does come up and you don't get a clearance, you have legal documentation that somone from the Navy said that it would not be a problem.  I have heard of guys that were told it was no big deal and were unable to get a clearance and end up getting stuck in the Navy for 6 years(non-nuke enlistment for most rates is 4) as a non-nuke because it was "his fault that his actions were the basis for his security clearance being denied" even though he told everyone about the incident before hand and they said it wouldn't be a big deal. 

So in summary, talk to as many people you need to, preferably someone who specializes in law, to get a good warm fuzzy about getting your clearance and get everything in writing about it.  Otherwise, welcome to the Navy.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

HMMMM, the plot thickens.

I agree with the above. This is way above and beyond this forum. Good luck with that.

Justin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:00 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
pending arrest warrants and charges in the UK

assuming that is the case, you might want to avoid liberty in foreign ports, as that INTERPOL can arrest on a UK warrant.

JustinHEMI05

assuming that is the case, you might want to avoid liberty in foreign ports, as that INTERPOL can arrest on a UK warrant.

Ooo, good point!

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
HMMMM, the plot thickens.

I agree with the above. This is way above and beyond this forum. Good luck with that.

Justin

200 quatloos against the newcomer....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:04 by HydroDave63 »

JustinHEMI05

Alright, I'll bite... what the heck is a quatloo? :)

Justin

JustinHEMI05

Haha ok I asked because when I googled the term, several separate and distinct definitions came up and I wasn't sure which one applied here LOL

Justin

PS I can't believe "googled" isn't in the spell checker yet.

JustinHEMI05

Now that I know what it is, I can't take that bet. :)

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
You can still take the bet, just have to make your bet more specific in nature.

I.E.
300 Quatloos that the newcomer covers more than 1/3 of her career just getting through the pipeline.

See now HD might win the bet but you would win more if the above were to happen.  They could counter bet with something just as specific but different and go from there.  Didn't you ever watch the original Star Trek? 

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
Marssim you have proven your Trek worthiness.  That comment was more directed at Justin. 

JustinHEMI05

Marssim you have proven your Trek worthiness.  That comment was more directed at Justin. 

Not a TOS fan, sorry. TNG primarily. I enjoyed the last 2 seasons of both voyager and DS9 but up until that they sucked. I also enjoyed the last season of enterprise. I only like star trek II, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

Enjoy T -Track! :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
I wonder how it turned out....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?