Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Achievement Medal honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Achievement Medal  (Read 36544 times)

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Navy Achievement Medal
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:01 »
Have any of you received this award?  If so, would you mind explaining the circumstances of receiving this award?  Thank you.

Fermi2

Re: Navy Achievement Medal
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:41 »
Yes

Mike

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:16 »
I have never recived it, however I did watch three people get the award for things I did. I'm not saying that I turned the wrench and the LPO or WCS got the award. No the citation was for work done as LOQMPO and WCSX2 for the time and jobs that I oversaw.

My advice if you want one don't make waves, don't tell the LCPO he/she is wrong (even if they are), don't lookout for the people that work for you, and kiss as much 6 o'clock as you can and say "yes cheif thats a great idea".

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30 »
Yes.

One on the ship for heading up the first and to date only major overseas nuclear repair without the aid of a shipyard (replaced 2 air operated globe valves) which allow the ship to stay on station and complete the mission/deployment.

Ship counted that one as end of tour even though I end of toured a year after.  ::)

Second at P-type for being everyones favorite instructor for a semester.

Third at P-type for standing about 3 million EDO watches and heading up a pressurizer drain, repair, refill without incident.

P-type forgot end of tour because they said they would "send it out," I am still waiting.  ::)

So yes, nukes can get legitimate NAMs as long as you have someone interested in putting you in for it. At P-type my Chief was all about submitting people for awards. My second one might be questionable as legit but hey, its one for the record none the less. :)

Cook got one for cake baked for Admiral Bowman. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:16 by JustinHEMI »

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:25 »
Id like to think I earned the four NAMs I was presented.

ETMS relocation and installation - SUBSCOL
USS Maryland (twice)
Kings Bay RADCON
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008, 06:07 by LaFeet »

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42 »
Thank you for your replies and thank you for your service.  My son was recommended for the award, if that's the correct term, thus my question.  I never served, so my knowledge of things Navy, much less Nuke Navy, are peripheral.  My son is not much for words, nor much for self promotion, so I was looking here for some information and some "clarity".  As it happens, my son will not get the award, but instead will get an "Admiral's letter".  That said, my pride is unbounded.  Thanks again.

DSO

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:44 »
My advice if you want one don't make waves, don't tell the LCPO he/she is wrong (even if they are), don't lookout for the people that work for you, and kiss as much 6 o'clock as you can and say "yes cheif thats a great idea". Exactly!!! How about what the "Coners" did to get a NAM??  I have seen them given to Coners for making good cookies during ORSE and a bunch of other BS reasons---this pretty much invalidated what a NAM was supposed to mean--anyone else got some good ones for why a "Coner" got a NAM?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:45 by DSO »

PapaBear765

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:01 »
My advice if you want one don't make waves, don't tell the LCPO he/she is wrong (even if they are), don't lookout for the people that work for you, and kiss as much 6 o'clock as you can and say "yes cheif thats a great idea".

I assume you're joking because I chose a while ago to do just the opposite, so I can look myself in the mirror after I get out.

For the original post: the mantra for NAMs is "If you get one, it'll be more than 6 months late for something less significant than the hundreds of other noteworthy things you've done."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:22 »
I got one for completely overhauling the 3M database for my work center since it was completely hosed.  It must of also counted as my EOT because I didn't get one when I left the ship almost a year later.  I was supposed to get one as a EOT after I left Protosuck.  2 years later still waiting on that one.  I did however get a much better award than any medal or LOC.  I won the continuous improvement award at Protosuck one month.  I put in for some BS about students and staff would benefit from computer presentations that they use for prototype training that were based on real fleet plants like the CVN, SSBN and SSN plants.  This way they could get a jump start on learning their new plants before they got there(assuming they were already qual'd a prototype).  Got a kick @$$ parking spot(a luxury to be sure) and $200 cash money.  That was the best award I ever got.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:20 »
Awards are a direct result of your CoC...more specifically, your CO.  Any CO can give out as many NAM's as he wants to.  It takes an O6 or higher to give a NCM....and it takes a Flag for higher order awards.

My experience as MM2 on CVN 73 back in the day......nobody ever got any awards for anything.  C'est la vie.

I was a LTJG with 11 years in the Navy before I got my first NAM.

My experience as a JO on both SSBN 737 and  CVN 69.....Everyone O3 and below got a NAM as an end of tour (EOT).  O4 and above got NCM.  I observed that there were some mid-tour awards, but definitely not as many as there should have been.

I also spent some time on a non-nuke cruiser, which has an O6 as CO.....all O3 and above and all E7 and above got NCM's as EOT.  Everyone else got NAM as EOT.  CO also gave out about 10 NAMs a quarter just because he could.  Morale was high on this ship...CO was the best I ever served under...and he was a nuke.

I served at NNPTC for shore duty....two different CO's while I was there and each one had differing philosophies on awards.

I can tell you I always put my guys in for awards when I thought it was warranted.....more often then not it was the Goat Locker who killed the recommendation...which always bothered me.

Bottom line though.....do your job and do it well....awards will catch up to you....eventually. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Motown homey

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:38 »
I got one for machining a worm driven gear for the galley mixer on SSN 680 at the beginning of a 90 day spec op.  The "Ship's Machinist" said he couldn't do it, but I turned the blank, set up the versi-mill, and made the angle cuts on the teeth by running the flycutter up and down by hand.   

I think it had more to do with the CO trying to get me to re-up.  They seemed to be fairly stingy with the NAM on that command.  I got out about three months later, and got the NAM in the mail.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:13 »
My advice if you want one don't make waves, don't tell the LCPO he/she is wrong (even if they are), don't lookout for the people that work for you, and kiss as much 6 o'clock as you can and say "yes cheif thats a great idea". Exactly!!! How about what the "Coners" did to get a NAM??  I have seen them given to Coners for making good cookies during ORSE and a bunch of other BS reasons---this pretty much invalidated what a NAM was supposed to mean--anyone else got some good ones for why a "Coner" got a NAM?

We get pro pay, and lots of glory.

Justin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:17 by JustinHEMI »

PapaBear765

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:08 »
What does everyone think the best philosophy for issuing awards to nukes should be?  That is, the amount of work that the average nuke does is beyond what a go-gettin' non-nuke does.  So how do you decide what's worthy of an award to a large group of guys who all do something to deserve one?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36 »
I say spread the wealth as best you can, try to get everyone at least one as long as they actually deserve it.  If someone does something truly special and already has one, well explain to everyone why this guy is getting it twice.  Make them as close to actual deserving events as possible.  IF everyone chipped in an even amount, find someone who hasn't gotten reconized to give the award to, and give everyone else a 3 or 4 day weekend as soon as possible, and if ain't possible soon make it up to them later and kept that promise.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 11:00 »
Not sure I agree with giving awards just to give awards. And I never subscribed to the philosophy of "you got one 6 months ago so we are going to give it to someone else (or wrap it into your end of tour)" theory either. If a guy deserves it, he deserves it regardless of how many he already has or has received recently. Pretty much I think if you have done something special above and beyond your normal call of duty, then you should be awarded. If there is only one guy that steps up, then more chest candy for him.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 06:36 »
Sorry Justin, I was referring to the last line of PBear's Post

What does everyone think the best philosophy for issuing awards to nukes should be?  That is, the amount of work that the average nuke does is beyond what a go-gettin' non-nuke does.  So how do you decide what's worthy of an award to a large group of guys who all do something to deserve one?

I agree that you shouldn't just give them to be giving them, but only so many are allowed at any time to be given.  If you got 8 Guys who really deserve one because they completely overhauled an Evap and kept people off water hours, but you can only give 5 NAMS then those other 3 should get one as soon as possible or give them some good liberty when you get home and let them know that you were unable to give them an award this time but hopefully that 4 day weekend makes up for it for now. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22 »
Yes

Mike

Touching story :)

Warreal - the most common reason for reciept of this award is training. Most of the training and drill team recieve NAM's, and a few who kicked butt at maintenance. We dont have an opportunity to save a shipmate from bullet fire, but we can turn a wrench and stop a mishap from occuring. 

where are you at right now, i.e. : civvie, pipeline, fleet??
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:24 by Cycoticpenguin »

withroaj

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 10:34 »
Zero LOK deficiencies on ORSE - that's mine.  (ok, I did some other stuff like redesign survey maps for the boat, making them compliant with all of the nucnotes and stuff, but the citation on the award just says 'unprecedented zero LOK deficiencies'.)

EDIT - I just put this up because it answers the coner NAM question, but I'm not a coner.  I just got a coner NAM.
EDIT AGAIN - I am still proud of it, and I greatly appreciate my MMC for putting in award recommendations for the Div.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:33 by withroaj »

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 06:38 »

read before you ask!!!

What specifically should I have read?

whitmoyer

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:37 »
3 here - all from the same command.

1 for fixing an air dryer controller that involved the use of dental floss (yes, it even says that on the NAM!).

1 for fixing the boat's ancient HP-UX box that had all the ship's drawings and for qualing EWS/EDPO pretty quickly.

1 for my EOT.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 08:04 »
What specifically should I have read?

He was talking to c-penguin... pointing out that you had already answered his question, and all he needed to do was pay attention.

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53 »

Bottom line though.....do your job and do it well....awards will catch up to you....eventually. 
[/quote]

Funny you should say that.  When standing my first dress white inspection with my first division as a Senior Chief (I reported to the command that way), I was surrounded by ET3s and ET2s with NAMs--many had a gold star.  My highest level ribbon was my Good Conduct.

When asked why I wasn't wearing my NAM(s) I didn't really have an answer at first.  I finally asked one of the guys, "How much do you get paid for that NAM?"  He said, "Not a dime."  I reached up to my collar and grabbed my anchor and said, "This has a star, too-- but I get paid for it." 

I never did get anything higher than that Good Conduct...to put on my chest.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

PapaBear765

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:39 »

Funny you should say that.  When standing my first dress white inspection with my first division as a Senior Chief (I reported to the command that way), I was surrounded by ET3s and ET2s with NAMs--many had a gold star.  My highest level ribbon was my Good Conduct.

When asked why I wasn't wearing my NAM(s) I didn't really have an answer at first.  I finally asked one of the guys, "How much do you get paid for that NAM?"  He said, "Not a dime."  I reached up to my collar and grabbed my anchor and said, "This has a star, too-- but I get paid for it." 

I never did get anything higher than that Good Conduct...to put on my chest.

I, too, will probably also depart from the service NAMless.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008, 04:58 by PapaBear765 (3363) »

PapaBear765

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:44 »

Bravo sierra.  You forgot the corollary to that cliché: ...and kiss butt.

withroaj

« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2008, 10:28 »
You fellers ever heard of getting one on LIMDU? 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?