Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NAVY NUPOC Program

Author Topic: NAVY NUPOC Program  (Read 20788 times)

Offline vbre101

• Very Lite User
NAVY NUPOC Program
« on: Mar 13, 2010, 08:18 »
Was anyone in this forum in the NUPOC Program. I realized a while ago that becoming a Nuke was not what I was interested in, it was becoming a NUPOC Candidate. Many benefits, and I still get to go to school for my chemistry degree which is awesome! So anyone know anything about it? Or has anyone gone through the NUPOC Program?  ;D

JustinHEMI05

Offline vbre101

• Very Lite User
Re: NAVY NUPOC Program
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:23 »
Thanks I appreciate the info. In the NUPOC website though it does state that chemistry is one, but who knows, the military websites say a lot of things.

Duchess

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:37 »
The NUPOC requirements are pretty simple

Be able to graduate with a bachelors w/in 30 months
Be a US citizen
Have taken Physics I/II and Calc I/II
No prior drug use
C's or better in all technical courses

If you meet all of those requirements you are eligible for NUPOC

Your chemistry major should be fine.

There are way more applicants right now than the Navy needs.  You might find it hard to get a waiver if you don't meet all of the requirements.  The screening process will probably take 4-6 months.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:01 »
I realized a while ago that becoming a Nuke was not what I was interested in, it was becoming a NUPOC Candidate.

You do realize that after graduating from college in the NUPOC program, you are going to start training to be a nuke, right?
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline vbre101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:24 »
No I wasn't aware of that. I had an idea they were going to send me to do something, but right now I want to complete my degree before anything. I appreciate the heads up though. Thanks everyone for the info.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:13 »
No I wasn't aware of that. I had an idea they were going to send me to do something, but right now I want to complete my degree before anything. I appreciate the heads up though. Thanks everyone for the info.

NUPOC....NUclear  Propulsion Officer Candidate 

You should probably look into a different program to pay for your college
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:52 »
NUPOC....NUclear  Propulsion Officer Candidate 

You should probably look into a different program to pay for your college

" Secure from free ride...restow all gear! " ? ;)

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:58 »
" Secure from free ride...restow all gear! " ? ;)
ROFLMAO... (Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off) That made my day...probably the funniest thing I've seen on here in ages. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
+K HD
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2010, 09:59 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:43 »
If you are interested in teaching, NUPOC has an option to fulfill your wishes.

NUPOC offers 4 types of jobs - 2 operational jobs (submarine officer and surface warfare officer) and 2 non operational jobs (power school instructor and nuclear reactors engineer).

As stated before, you major doesn't exclude you from eligibility.  If you've taken Calc and calc-based physics you're good (provided you're a US citizen within 30 months of graduation).

As an instructor, after you earn your commission you'll spend 4 years in Charleston, SC teaching, first the enlisted students, then officers.  You'll receive some initial training in order to get you ready to teach the way the Navy wants you to teach.  You'll teach a variety of subjects including chemistry, math, physcis, reactor physics, thermodynamics and more.

After your 4 year commitment, you either separate from the Navy or try to transfer into another Navy community.  I've heard a recruiter say that many in the instructor position choose to go to grad school part-time because it's relatively easy since you'll be in Charleston the whole time (no sea duty) and work hours are pretty regular.  But those are words from a recruiter so take make of it what you will.

I've done plenty of research on NUPOC so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.  But I will echo what others have said.  If your goals are to go into research then I don't see how NUPOC fits in.  Unless you want to do research related to Medical Physics, then MAYBE.....and MAYBE getting some teaching experience will help in your goals to become a professor.  But realistically the best way to achieve your research and professorship goals are to stay in academia.

While the NUPOC program may sound good, along with the post 9/11 GI bill that comes along with it, you won't NEED it for grad school since most science and engineering PhD programs pay the students' tuition.  I mean, I think NUPOC is definitely a good deal (who doesn't want to get paid to go to school?).  But first think about what your goals are and then see if NUPOC still fits in.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:56 »
As an instructor, after you earn your commission you'll spend 4 years in Charleston, SC teaching, first the enlisted students, then officers.  You'll receive some initial training in order to get you ready to teach the way the Navy wants you to teach.  You'll teach a variety of subjects including chemistry, math, physcis, reactor physics, thermodynamics and more.

Not everyone teaches officer students.  And, you won't teach a variety of subjects either.  You will be qualified to teach a single subject at any given time.  Most Direct Input Officers start off teaching enlisted Math/Physics.  Some start off in enlisted Heat Transfer.  After doing your initial teaching assignment, you can ask to move to another division, usually a second half enlisted division.  Some folks do move up to the officer deck at that time. 

The very best of the best eventually end up teaching Officer Electrical Engineering  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?