Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke on hold at RTC Great Lakes
honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke on hold at RTC Great Lakes  (Read 29358 times)

df0lks

Nuke on hold at RTC Great Lakes
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:03 »
I graduated bootcamp April 11th, but I don't feel like a sailor at all. I am still attached to Recruit Training Command(RTC) at THU (Temporary Holding Unit). The differences between here and bootcamp is:

1. We get on base liberty 1600-2030 M-F and offbase lib (50mile rad) 0800-2030
2. We clean all day

I don't like this place because we are in the same "ship" as separating recruits.

Well, enough complaining, here is the situation. I, as well as many other nukes and ratings that require special physicals, was told that I am anemic. I was also told that I can't leave for "a" school until I am cleared medically. The doctor has to submit paper for an appoval be the REAB board.

Questions:

1. I have been trying to look up information about the REAB board and the process. Where can I find this information?
2. Is there a way I can request to be put on hold at my "a" school instead of rotting in THU?
2a. If there is, who should I speak with? RTC or NPTC?
3. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know someone that has been on hold for nuke "a" school?

Thanks in advance.

Fermi2

Re: Nuke on hold at RTC Great Lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:53 »
From my experience with Med boards, you cannot transfer commands while in a Med Hold Status.
They meet whenever they have enough cases unless you are going to be discharged because of your medical condition.

Why would they send you to A School to hold you when they haven't decided you are medically fit for the job?

Get used to it, it's the US Navy.

Mike

df0lks

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:39 »
Well, according to the lcpo here, who deals with the medical holds; nukes don't get disqualified. Its just a matter of paperwork that basically says that the person came into the nuke program with whatever condition, but they can do the job without problem. I really don't see them disqualifying me for iron-deficient anemia, especially since I wasn't anemic before I got to bootcamp and also because I am a female (monthly blood loss).

But  I guess I'll be stuck here for a couple of months.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 05:45 »
No sense in asking the other guy on the board that went to THU :D

Let me respond to your complaints

1) Thats normal. Its also similar to A school.
2)  HOLY !#@%$ dont come to the fleet if you dont like to clean :D

Now let me respond to your answers

1) no there's not much you can do.
2) NO!
3) Me.

Now let me give you some of mine :D

1) enjoy it while you can. Yes it sucks, but its not as bad as the pipeline.
2) you dont Have an NEC, you havent gone through the pipeline, and therefore you are NOT a nuke. Not trying to be a douche here, just saying, you CAN be changed to conventional if things go wrong. However, thats a breach of contract, and you probably wouldnt have to stay in.
3) Try to do some work to get your volunteer ribbon, or other service ribbons. Also, dont blow your money in the lounge area upstairs. Im assuming you guys are still living downstairs, to the right of the quarter deck? (I helped move those beds down :D, it SUCKED!).

Pm me if you have any direct questions.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:30 »
Not trying to be a douche here

Too late.  :P

Jusitn

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2008, 04:53 »
Try to do some work to get your volunteer ribbon

I can only hope you are kidding. Did the Navy turn into the Army after I left? As a Navy Nuke, I was always proud to get stripes on my sleeves as fast as ribbons on my chest!

What do the citations read? "Meritorious directing traffic for the Special Olympics bronze star in addition to the original ribbon for walking little old ladies across the street!"
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

df0lks

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2008, 01:43 »
No sense in asking the other guy on the board that went to THU :D

Let me respond to your complaints

1) Thats normal. Its also similar to A school.
2)  HOLY !#@%$ dont come to the fleet if you dont like to clean :D

Now let me respond to your answers

1) no there's not much you can do.
2) NO!
3) Me.

Now let me give you some of mine :D

1) enjoy it while you can. Yes it sucks, but its not as bad as the pipeline.
2) you dont Have an NEC, you havent gone through the pipeline, and therefore you are NOT a nuke. Not trying to be a douche here, just saying, you CAN be changed to conventional if things go wrong. However, thats a breach of contract, and you probably wouldnt have to stay in.
3) Try to do some work to get your volunteer ribbon, or other service ribbons. Also, dont blow your money in the lounge area upstairs. Im assuming you guys are still living downstairs, to the right of the quarter deck? (I helped move those beds down :D, it SUCKED!).

Pm me if you have any direct questions.

I don't think you're being a douche at all. I understand where you are coming from, but it just sucks being here because we are treated like recruits still. As far as the cleaning part, I don't mind it at all. I am one of the YNs so I don't clean anymore, but when I did clean, it wasn't bad at all cause I just sing the whole time :).

But thanks for the advice, I have already spent $130 on internet alone last month. I lets not add the mall, the vending machines, and spending $$$ around town. I have started saving and investing and buying books online to study.

I just hope I get to S. Carolina soon.  :-[

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:12 »
I can only hope you are kidding. Did the Navy turn into the Army after I left? As a Navy Nuke, I was always proud to get stripes on my sleeves as fast as ribbons on my chest!

What do the citations read? "Meritorious directing traffic for the Special Olympics bronze star in addition to the original ribbon for walking little old ladies across the street!"

I've read this 4 times, and I still dont understand... He has a really good opportunity to get his volunteer ribbon. Its worth points on the test for gods sake. Up to him though. He cant exactly "Get qualified" now can he? :D

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:02 »
I've read this 4 times, and I still dont understand... He has a really good opportunity to get his volunteer ribbon. Its worth points on the test for gods sake. Up to him though. He cant exactly "Get qualified" now can he? :D

My brother came home from Army (National Guard) boot camp in 1981 with 2 medals and 2 other ribbons.

I got my first ribbon for Sea Service (>90 days away from home port) after I had completed 2 years in the Navy. I was MM3 with a slick chest. Then I got Dolphins, SSBN, Battle E, and MM2. Good Conduct Medal and many stars in the others and MM1. You get the picture.

I think it is great to get anything which helps towards advancement. I would suggest college credits; DANTES is the cheapest way to get those. I just didn't know that there were ribbons out there like that.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

drainbamage

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:47 »
I graduated with you. I was in div 146. Hope things work out bud

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:06 »

Sad thing is, in the new modern " US Navy: The Next Generation " the volunteer ribbon is actually HIGHER in the order of precedence listing than the Sea Service ribbon.

So perhaps we should stop imploring the newbies to get qualified steaming watches and dolphins...

" Sorry there, MM3, can't give you a checkout right now, there is 1/2 a pallet of Thin Mints on the pier that need to get sold for the boat's Girl Scout troop..... *clicks the 1MC mic* Now muster the section Charlie through Golf working party on the pier... "

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:46 »
Sad thing is, in the new modern " US Navy: The Next Generation " the volunteer ribbon is actually HIGHER in the order of precedence listing than the Sea Service ribbon.

So perhaps we should stop imploring the newbies to get qualified steaming watches and dolphins...

" Sorry there, MM3, can't give you a checkout right now, there is 1/2 a pallet of Thin Mints on the pier that need to get sold for the boat's Girl Scout troop..... *clicks the 1MC mic* Now muster the section Charlie through Golf working party on the pier... "

http://resources.seacadets.org/instructions/navy/secnavnote1650.pdf

The above link is the instruction which authorized the Military Outstanding Service Medal. 

When I was an instructor at NNPTC, we actually had a volunteer coordinator who kept track of hours for everyone.  They required 500 hours of volunteer work to rate the medal, so it wasn't something that everyone got. 

Dave, I question you on what you think is wrong with sailors doing volunteer work and getting rewarded for it. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

df0lks

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:32 »

I am a female.  ;) There are a lot of volunteer opportunities here though.

df0lks

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:33 »
I graduated with you. I was in div 146. Hope things work out bud

hoo-yah April 11th. Thanks :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:32 »

The above link is the instruction which authorized the Military Outstanding Service Medal. 

When I was an instructor at NNPTC, we actually had a volunteer coordinator who kept track of hours for everyone.  They required 500 hours of volunteer work to rate the medal, so it wasn't something that everyone got. 

Dave, I question you on what you think is wrong with sailors doing volunteer work and getting rewarded for it. 

+ Karma to you for the .pdf link  I guess my objection stems from the relative value of Award Points for certain medals, in that Combat Action, Good Conduct Medal and IA Tour all only rate 2 pts apiece, Air Medal and Letter of Commendation only rate 1 Award point. Not to disparage any volunteer work, I just felt that it sounded disproportionate if such a ribbon counted as much or more than medals where other sailors were in harm's way to earn theirs. Does that ribbon yield any Award Points for selection?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2008, 02:13 »

hey sir, just wanted to inform you, for some random reason, NNPTC (at least when I went through) only required TWO hundred, not five. Probably because of our schedule. Boot camp I believe is the same way. Its a fantastic opportunity for her to get this medal, and its a nice peice of chest candy.

yeah yeah, worthless for steaming watches, but alas, if its good enough to help her get promoted, it could help her get motivated to qualify faster.

Sigh...
-Jordan

drainbamage

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2008, 11:49 »
hey sir, just wanted to inform you, for some random reason, NNPTC (at least when I went through) only required TWO hundred, not five. Probably because of our schedule. Boot camp I believe is the same way. Its a fantastic opportunity for her to get this medal, and its a nice peice of chest candy.

yeah yeah, worthless for steaming watches, but alas, if its good enough to help her get promoted, it could help her get motivated to qualify faster.

Sigh...
-Jordan

200 indeed, I'm about halfway done myself.

I think there's a limit on the number you can leave with, like total of three on yer chest, right?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2008, 07:46 »
200 indeed, I'm about halfway done myself.

I think there's a limit on the number you can leave with, like total of three on yer chest, right?

Theres no limit, however, good luck doing that lol...

135i

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:49 »
If I were you I'd focus more on school and less on stupid ribbons that mean nothing. If you want to volunteer, more power to you. If you're doing it for a ribbon that's just stupid.

The only guy I knew in school to get that ribbon was also the only RO in our class to fail out of Power School. (Failed Comp)

RadicalBacon

« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2008, 11:21 »
Heya, I'm on t-track at NNPTC, which is essentially THU with a more relaxed attitude. I've been on t-track for a little more than two months and likely will remain on hold for another two months because I don't have clearance to go to power school. (Apparently my recruiter, who in every other way bent over backwards for me, didn't send in the paperwork, or it got lost, or not filed, or something. It seems like there's at least one person in every class that has a clearance of NONE on their badge.)

Also, when you finally get here, chances are you'll be cleaning here at least for a few days. It sounds like you're making the best of it, especially with the volunteer medal. It sounds trite, but enjoy it while you can. You know, lean with it...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2008, 04:50 »
Heya, I'm on t-track at NNPTC, which is essentially THU with a more relaxed attitude. I've been on t-track for a little more than two months and likely will remain on hold for another two months because I don't have clearance to go to power school. (Apparently my recruiter, who in every other way bent over backwards for me, didn't send in the paperwork, or it got lost, or not filed, or something. It seems like there's at least one person in every class that has a clearance of NONE on their badge.)

Also, when you finally get here, chances are you'll be cleaning here at least for a few days. It sounds like you're making the best of it, especially with the volunteer medal. It sounds trite, but enjoy it while you can. You know, lean with it...

Unfortunately for him, THU is 8.7X10^47 more lame then T-Track. Not much to enjoy, but hopefully he is making the best of it.

As for your clearance, a lot of people get held up there (As you are finding out first hand), but dont neccessarily take it out on your recruiter, the people up there are just as, if not more, lazy then your recruiter. ( I have lots of stories for interested minds if I have to clarify things).

If you wait more then 2 more months, contact 1 of your senators to step in and get involved, dont just "wait" for things to happen.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2008, 05:13 »

If you wait more then 2 more months, contact 1 of your senators to step in and get involved, dont just "wait" for things to happen.

Bad advice, shipmate.

Never a good idea to complain outside the lifelines of your command. 

The navy doesn't revolve around you.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2008, 05:39 »
Bad advice, shipmate.

Never a good idea to complain outside the lifelines of your command. 

Ok... here we go....

figured one of you guys would contest that.

So, one of my good buddies was stuck on t-track for 15 months, his friend for about the same time frame, several other people waiting from anywhere from 6-9 months+...  They were all going to be severed from the program for not getting their clearance, so one of them said "Screw that" and wrote his senator. NCIS did an investigation and found out the security clearance coordinator was actually not doing his job properly/at all. Had he not been recently promoted to chief, he would have been immediately removed. Amazingly... less the 2 weeks later EVERYONE had their clearance. Had they just "used their chain of command", they would have all been discharged. (To add some spice to this story, they found waivers/letters/important documents behind the dudes desk, collecting dust, received months prior to the investigation)

Before you criticize me, please realize that I DO have some experience on some things sir. I have learned first hand not to just sit on it and expect your CoC to take care of it. Being proactive is key. To quote the bible "God helps those who help themselves". Taking away the biblical aspect of it, I completely agree with that statement.

The navy doesn't revolve around you.

How is me telling a shipmate I never met, at a training command I don't care about, what to do to help himself constituting selfishness??? I dont understand this comment at all.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2008, 07:51 »
Take my advice or leave it, I don't care.  Next time go ahead and call the IG and make a complaint when something doesn't go your way....you can get the phone number from any number of bulletin boards at any command.

Just remember.....the back you stab today just might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Cheers,
GC

withroaj

« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2008, 08:49 »

Just remember.....the back you stab today just might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

I will find a time to plagiarize that statement before I die.  I promise.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?