Career Path > Nuclear Operator

GFES (NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam)

<< < (2/14) > >>

Nuclear Renaissance:

--- Quote from: The Nutty Neutron on Jun 04, 2008, 10:34 ---I took the test today and think I made a 96%.  I am happy with the test and am ready to move on to systems training.

--- End quote ---

Start reading those Tech Specs bases with each system. I was astonished with how many test questions are answerable via the bases.

flamatrix99:
In my humble opinion, hopefully you are in PWR license class. I was a PWR NLO and now a instant SRO in BWR class and hate it. BWRs seem so much harder then a PWR plus the crazy EOPs. I guess part of it is what you learned initially is what sticks with you.

Fermi2:
Having SRO Licensed on a BWR and PWR I'll say a BWR is much tougher on the logic and ECCS End. Each Safety System has it's own logic and there is instrumentation everywhere. To learn the ECCS took a week of lectures where at a PWR it took 4 hours.

BWR EOPs are actually quite simple, you just have to learn to prioritize them. I liked the idea of having a flow chart and pretty much picking and choosing what I want.

In a PWR there are SO MANY EOPs to learn it can be a bear. The good thing is each EOP has diagnostics that tell you exactly where and which EOP you need to be in.

Moving a BWR is easy, you never have to worry about Shutdown Margin or cooling down too much. They also ride out transients better.

Moving a PWR can be rather slow and testy at best.

Which do I prefer? I love them both and am happy to have had the chance to license on both types of reactors.

Mike

flamatrix99:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Jun 07, 2008, 10:36 ---Having SRO Licensed on a BWR and PWR I'll say a BWR is much tougher on the logic and ECCS End. Each Safety System has it's own logic and there is instrumentation everywhere. To learn the ECCS took a week of lectures where at a PWR it took 4 hours.

BWR EOPs are actually quite simple, you just have to learn to prioritize them. I liked the idea of having a flow chart and pretty much picking and choosing what I want.

In a PWR there are SO MANY EOPs to learn it can be a bear. The good thing is each EOP has diagnostics that tell you exactly where and which EOP you need to be in.

Moving a BWR is easy, you never have to worry about Shutdown Margin or cooling down too much. They also ride out transients better.

Moving a PWR can be rather slow and testy at best.

Which do I prefer? I love them both and am happy to have had the chance to license on both types of reactors.

Mike

--- End quote ---
That is an interesting comparison... The whole turbine follows the reactor instead of the reactor following the turbine took me by surprise. Yes ECCS is a tricky. All the isolations drive me crazy. lol But being in the Simulator and the plant has helped alot.

DJLabs:
I'm supposed to be taking a POSS test and a GFES/Light exam for a possible Operator Apprentice position at Wolf Creek Nuclear Power Plant. They gave me 9 study guides for the GFES, all of which are 60 to 90 pages long and a week to prepare. I'm feeling overwhelmed and wondering if I even have a chance at getting a position. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks! I've already found some great information on this site about the POSS test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version