Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu GFES (NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam)

Author Topic: GFES (NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam)  (Read 80374 times)

markglaxe

General Nuke Overview Training
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:01 »
I am looking for a general short course on nuclear plants.  How the process works, general process flow and criteria for working in the nuke industry.  I work for a supplier of services to nuclear plants and would like a better understanding of the technology, the work process and documentation requirements.

I would prefer and instructor driven course and not a web-based course.

Thanks,

Mark

JustinHEMI05

Re: General Nuke Overview Training
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2010, 03:46 »
Although not quite what you are looking for, this will give you a basic idea of what is going on.

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/

jsebesta

NRC Generic Fundementals Exam Bank
« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2010, 05:53 »
I was looking at the Exam bank and each individual Q&A for Generic Fundamentals Exams on the NRC webpage under operator licensing. My question to the the forum is:
1. Is these some of the question used for RO written exams for licensing.
2. How well of a study guide is it?
Since I'm still waiting to get into the industry I've been studying the exam banks and seeing where my knowledge gaps are. I have also used past exams for the website and did practice test to evaluate my level of knowledge. Since I had Navy PWR experience and my area has mostly BWR, I have shifted my focus towards BWR. I'm currently using "The Thermal-Hydraulics of a Boiling Water Nuclear Reactor" by Lahey and "Intro. to Nuclear Eng." 3rd edition by Lemarsh. While its helped improve some better understanding of BWR theory and operation. Is doing practice exams from the NRC webpage and these materials pushing me in the right direction or is there something I can add or improve so when the opportunity presents itself I will be adequately prepared.

Thanks,
Jay Sebesta

adrianI

Re: NRC Generic Fundementals Exam Bank
« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2010, 08:52 »
1. No, the RO and SRO license exams are plant specific and those can also be found on the NRC website. It would be kind of pointless to look at them though. The GFES exams are exactly the type of exams you will see if/when you take your own GFES exam. It will most likely be 40 questions from the bank and 10 new ones.

2. It is an excellent study guide for the GFES exam because they typically only have 10 new questions per exam.

- Also, you can't start out as a RO. You would have to be a EO and then move up to RO. You can start as a SRO(instant SRO), if you meet the requirements.

jsebesta

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2010, 10:43 »
I kind of assumed they wouldn't be the same as licensing, but i wanted to make sure. I'm not looking for am immediate RO position seeings as I was an electrician in the Navy. I am trying to pursue a NLO/EO position and work from the bottom up, but at the same time try and build my knowledge base up so that way I can focus primarily on plant specific operations/specs. that can not be obtained other than actually performing the job or from training at the utility.

I find the GFES exam as a good review from my training over 12 years ago and utilize it to see where I need to improve. I know studying this won't increase my chances at obtaining a position but I'm trying to do what I can so when I get the chance I'll will have a strong base to build on. Is there any thing you would recommend to review or study that would help me improve or be more efficient in studying? The two companies that I'm waiting for an opening, would be Exelon's Limerick BWR/4 and PP&L's Susquehanna BWR/4 as well. Ive have done several POSS practice test to improve my speed and accuracy and recently started taking practice GFES tests. I'm just fishing for some suggestions or constructive criticism.
Thanks for the reply though. 

Jay Sebesta

adrianI

« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2010, 12:45 »
If you are going for an EO position you will need to take the POSS. Get as good at taking and passing that as you can. With respect to studying other material, you could always study generic bwr information but I honestly don't think it will help you much. Also if you pass the POSS and get at interview at an Exelon plant at least, you'll be interviewed using the STAR method. Google it or search on these forums if you're not sure what that means. If you were qualified ews there is a possibility that you would be eligible to get hired as an instant SRO.

pebinatl

« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2010, 10:55 »
The Southern Company will be posting System Operators In Training(NLO) positions at Plant Hatch in the next few months and have already posted Plant Operators In Training (RO) at Plant Vogtle 3&4 so you could go into an RO position if you meet the required experience.

allenmurrow

Resource for NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam (GFES)
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:12 »
Here's a link to an online application I created to aid in studying for the NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam.
It uses a multiple choice format with questions extracted from the NRC's BWR Exam Bank and is updated regularly.
I originally used this to get through GF in initial NLO training and just recently used it again (after making several modifications) for initial license training as an RO.
There are many new features to take advantage of now. Enjoy, and good luck!

As always, comments/suggestions are encouraged.

http://allenmurrow.com
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013, 04:17 by Rennhack »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Studying for NRC Generic Fundamentals Exam
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:28 »
This guy is legit, I worked with him at Peach Bottom. Good guy, put in a lot of effort to make that.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DiverTough2013

• Very Lite User
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:22 »
This is great.  I have bookmarked it now, and plan to add it to my daily web destinations.  Thanks.  Is there anything like this for the PWR bank?

Offline caliban10010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:49 »
Nice work. Very much appreciated. Bookmarked for future use.

allenmurrow

« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:01 »
I plan on doing the same for the PWR question bank but that probably won't happen until I get my license due to time constraints. Maybe a little sooner depending on how the upcoming simulator phase of training goes. It would help if there was an HTML savvy volunteer to assist in modifying the various display errors for certain questions that occur after first running the import script.

For now, you can restrict the search results of the BWR questions to those that are also PWR questions using the search field. The search field looks at text in the question, answer, distractors, and the actual question id (QID). Questions common to BWRs and PWRs will contain the BWR QID followed by the PWR QID in parentheses so try searching for "(P" without the quotation marks.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:52 »
I plan on doing the same for the PWR question bank but that probably won't happen until I get my license due to time constraints.

I am so glad to hear this. When you going to class? You are going to be a dang fine RO and SRO one day.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

allenmurrow

« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:01 »
Thanks. I'm in class now in the middle of the systems phase. I can't wait to get back on shift though. I miss those long breaks.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:02 »
Thanks. I'm in class now in the middle of the systems phase. I can't wait to get back on shift though. I miss those long breaks.

Ah excellent! I miss them too, the 8 hour schedule beaver valley on sucks.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:30 »
I plan on doing the same for the PWR question bank but that probably won't happen until I get my license due to time constraints.

I'm looking forward to this resource.  Keep us posted, and thanks!

LaFeet

« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:51 »
Outstanding resource... well done

allenmurrow

It is now updated with the most recent NRC question bank, February 2012.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Great job!

Thank you for your dedication to helping others!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline cbrockelman

• Lurker
GFES
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:34 »
Hello,
I am currently studying for a pre employment exam GFES. First off, is this uncommon? I am new to the nuclear industry as this is my first employment opportunity. I have a technical certificate and A.A.S. degree in power plant technology also. The materials I have been given to study make this seem quite overwhelming seeing how there is over 1,000 pages and the exam is next Thursday, March 1. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. Forgot to mention that I am possibly being employed as an operations apprentice.  Thanks in advance!

Cole

Fermi2

Re: GFES
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:52 »
Get used to it.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:17 »
Hello,
I am currently studying for a pre employment exam GFES. First off, is this uncommon? I am new to the nuclear industry as this is my first employment opportunity. I have a technical certificate and A.A.S. degree in power plant technology also. The materials I have been given to study make this seem quite overwhelming seeing how there is over 1,000 pages and the exam is next Thursday, March 1. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. Forgot to mention that I am possibly being employed as an operations apprentice.  Thanks in advance!

Cole

I guess you better stop posting, and start studying, huh?

Good luck!

Justin

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:34 »
Identify the core ideas.
Prove to yourself that the essential formulae work and make them automatic second nature responses.
Quickly recognize where they apply.
Move rapidly through the material and take pride in being able to sustain the pace for extended periods of time.
Do not injure yourself and do not quit.
Adapt, persevere, overcome.

To the op-  get on allenmurrow.com.
Ignore above post while we decipher its relation to GFES.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:45 »
While I don't think it is common to give a GFES exam prior to empolyment, we do give two exams called POSS (covered here many times) and GFES lite.  The lite version is an approx 20 question quiz that is heavy on components, liter on thermo and Rx theory.  If you paid attention in school, you should do well enough on it. 

The NRC has old GFES tests on their website, and you should practice taking them. 

Good Luck!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:17 »
Just random question to appease my curiousity, what utility requires GFES for NLO? O.o

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?