Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Testing for Contamination from Uranium Mining honeypot

Author Topic: Testing for Contamination from Uranium Mining  (Read 15993 times)

childoftechnology

Testing for Contamination from Uranium Mining
« on: Jun 05, 2008, 10:20 »
  Perhaps a bit off-topic, but this seemed like the best place to post this thread, so here goes.
  I'm a resident of a small rural community in the Canadian province of New Brunswick. We're very concerned about what we believe is a uranium mining project, that has set up less than 1km from the nearest cluster of homes. In addition to the possible environmental impact, we're concerned that our health may be put at risk from the various wastes and by-products generated from such mining operations. Of perhaps greater concern is the fact that claims/tags have been found on many local (and private) properties - suggesting a threat that we could even have our land expropriated (a nice way of saying we'd be kicked out), to make way for further operations, should these companies decide to start drilling in the middle of community.
  My question for now is a bit more simple: I'd like to be able to check for hazardous levels of radiation in the air throughout the community, to make sure our health isn't being put at risk. There are two aspects of this idea; the first is to get a commercial geiger counter for my own use, and the second aspect is to perhaps buy and resell small, keychain-sized radiation detectors to members of the community.
  What kind of detection equipment would provide an accurate means of measurement, without having to break the bank? There are two items I'm considering; the first is a commercial alpha/beta/gamma geiger counter capable of detecting anything higher than a safe background level. This unit here is one such example:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190226675218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Note that this is a used item, it's preferably due to low cost but I'd also be willing to consider something like this:

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/Monitor4.htm

As for the idea of selling cheap, keychain-sized detectors, this is what I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310054793429&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

Not sure of it's effectiveness given its small size, but that's what I'm hoping someone here can tell me.
  Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Testing for Contamination from Uranium Mining
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2008, 03:25 »
I think that you are correct to be concerned for your health, and you right to know of any hazards that exist near your home.

However,  try not to over-react.  Purchasing your own detection instruments is a bit drastic, expensive, unreliable and un-necessary.

Think about this:  if they are mining Uranium in your neighborhood, that means that there already is - and has been for several millenia - Uranium contamination in your area.

The questions you need to ask are:

What are the historical levels of background radiation at my house?

Are those within acceptable limits as they relate to the relative risk of health hazards to me and my children?

Will the mining operation increase the levels, and how much?

How will I know?

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission is a good point to start.  Use your Provincial Government too.  Make them SHOW you the survey data or insist that you witness some measurements.  They should be able to show you the calibration data for the instruments, explain to you the methods used for sampling and measuring

You can hire an independent firm to back up the info you get.  It would be a lot easier, cheaper, and more reliable than you and your neighbors walking about with uncalibrated instruments that you don't understand.  If the time ever came to take this to court, we all know which set of data will qualify as evidence and which will not.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008, 10:13 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

childoftechnology

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2008, 01:48 »
  You pretty much backed up what I've known, or thought, right from the start. This community has had a very high rate of cancer, although people usually attribute that to decades of pesticide spraying (and chemical testing in the 70's) in nearby blueberry fields. I had an Eberline geiger counter for a while (but sold it because I needed the money), and it never showed more than 10-15 CPM around our property, which I don't think is anything to worry about. I never explored beyond our own property though; I may eventually buy another unit and do some further exploring on my own.
  You also made a good point about putting geiger counters in the hands or people who don't understand them; I wouldn't want someone thinking their life was in imminent danger every time the unit made a click (and I'm sure there are people who would!).
  A recent report in the TV media pointed out that right now, companies are only drilling for samples; it would take years to set up a full-blown mining operation. So for now at least, the biggest threat is noise levels or perhaps being evicted from our homes (expropriation)- something that happens much more often than most Canadians would like to admit. I have personally known people who have been forced off their land to make way for things like military bases and new roads (right here in the province), so that's why I'm so concerned about that.
  Thanks anyway for the advice, your points are well-taken.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2008, 05:02 »
  You pretty much backed up what I've known, or thought, right from the start. This community has had a very high rate of cancer, although people usually attribute that to decades of pesticide spraying (and chemical testing in the 70's) in nearby blueberry fields. I had an Eberline geiger counter for a while (but sold it because I needed the money), and it never showed more than 10-15 CPM around our property, which I don't think is anything to worry about. I never explored beyond our own property though; I may eventually buy another unit and do some further exploring on my own.
  You also made a good point about putting geiger counters in the hands or people who don't understand them; I wouldn't want someone thinking their life was in imminent danger every time the unit made a click (and I'm sure there are people who would!).
  A recent report in the TV media pointed out that right now, companies are only drilling for samples; it would take years to set up a full-blown mining operation. So for now at least, the biggest threat is noise levels or perhaps being evicted from our homes (expropriation)- something that happens much more often than most Canadians would like to admit. I have personally known people who have been forced off their land to make way for things like military bases and new roads (right here in the province), so that's why I'm so concerned about that.
  Thanks anyway for the advice, your points are well-taken.

What do you consider a high rate of cancer?  Approximately one in four people will eventually have one form of cancer or another.  The probability of a male getting prostate cancer approaches 100% if he lives to be over 90.  Many cancers are not caused by chemical exposures, and many are totally unrelated to radiation exposure.

If your "geiger counter" only registered 10 - 15 cpm, you have significantly less background radiation than many parts of North America. (Assuming it was calibrated and source checked daily to ensure that it was resp0nding to actual radiation and not electronic interference.)  The fact that you call it a "geiger-counter" is a big tip off too.  There is no model of radiation detection instrument that is (or has been in decades , if ever) called a geiger counter.  May sound like trivia to you - but if you don't know what it is called (other than what you've seen in a B movie) you probably don't know how it works, and therefore don't know when it is working properly, what it is detecting, how to measure what you are trying to detect, ... the list goes on.

If you bought the thing used, you have no way of knowing if the detector was intact, if the gas inside was still there, if the electronics were working properly, if the cable connections ( a very frequent problem) were shorted out -- essentially whether the thing works properly or not.
Even trained professional Radiation Protection Technicians; even with years of experience and practical knowledge, even with instruments that are properly stored and maintained can not use instruments that do not have documented calibrations and daily response checks.

I am not trying to trivialize your concern, nor am I trying to belittle your knowledge.  In fact, I expect that you should have no reason to posses any knowledge on the subject at all, so you couldn't possibly be deficient.  The point that I am trying to make is that you have the right to know what hazards are in your area, and there is a right way to get that knowledge.  You want trained professionals to inspect your bridges, fight fires, arrest criminals, perform surgery in your body, and defend you in the courts.  You also want to turn over this work to trained professionals.  Not that you need to trust blindly anything your government tells you, but you can use the government to help you protect yourself.  That is what you pay them for.

If you tried in any public forum to raise a concern based on readings that you took (with suspect instruments at that), you won't be taken seriously.  Even if you do find some elevated levels, your findings will be dismissed as the rantings of a disgruntled lay-person who has no expertise to back up his claims.

Don't waste your money on instruments that will not be of use to you.  As a property owner, who is trying to protect his interests as a property owner, your first step should be to consult with an attorney at law.  This person can not only speak for you (and your neighbors) but can arrange for the expert examination of the facts and conditions in your neighborhood.  That way, you will have the one thing that can protect you from manipulation, set your mind at ease, and aid you in making wise decisions - knowledge.  Get the facts.  Get them from a qualified source.  Get a lawyer.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008, 05:21 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2008, 05:36 »
if yer worried bout contamination from drilling and/or mining operations a survey meter, geiger counter or other wise, won't do you any good.  these measure fairly large differences in readings.  if the company doing the work has a large chunk of stuff, or even several small chunks, they are not going to strew it all over the place.  they're going to keep it.  the most probable problem you are going to worry about is the minute amounts in the atmosphere, the exhaust if you will, from their work.  a meter that you're wanting to afford won't work, unless you are into serious levels of cash outlays, like mutiples of $10000 dollars canadian (u.s. too).  if i were axed what to use, i'd suggest getting an air sample setup that will work long term, like 30 days at a time.  get one with a filter paper that can be changed easily.  find a lab that you trust to count it and that will be able to give you results for u238, u235, and u234.  yinz also want to have reporting done to a 3 sigma confidence level.  the sooner you start, the more base line you will have before operations commence.  i think this will be the most economical and give the best reportable results that you are really interested.  butt, that's only my humbull opinion, of coors.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

childoftechnology

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2008, 01:57 »
  I'm quite sure the Eberline unit I had was working properly; I'm an electronic technician and I gave it a thorough going over, including replacement of dried-up capacitors, drifted resistors, and checking the probe cable for continuity. I used some vaseline marbles as a test source, a large one would produce a reading of about 70-75CPM.
  I'm not a professional nor am I pretending to be one, but I do think I know more than the average lay person. I used the term "geiger counter" simply because it's familier, I'm not sure what other term these is (besides survey meter) for a detection device using a GM tube.
  While I'm on the subject, how does a scintillation counter compare for measuring low-level alpha/beta/gamma/x-ray radiation? Scintillation counters are much harder to find for some reason, and I do know they operate on a different principle (photomultiplier tube instead of a GM tube).

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2008, 01:01 »
  I'm quite sure the Eberline unit I had was working properly; I'm an electronic technician and I gave it a thorough going over, including replacement of dried-up capacitors, drifted resistors, and checking the probe cable for continuity. I used some vaseline marbles as a test source, a large one would produce a reading of about 70-75CPM.
  I'm not a professional nor am I pretending to be one, but I do think I know more than the average lay person. I used the term "geiger counter" simply because it's familier, I'm not sure what other term these is (besides survey meter) for a detection device using a GM tube.
  While I'm on the subject, how does a scintillation counter compare for measuring low-level alpha/beta/gamma/x-ray radiation? Scintillation counters are much harder to find for some reason, and I do know they operate on a different principle (photomultiplier tube instead of a GM tube).

It appears that you have enough knowledge to get yourself into trouble.

When you alter a calibrated instrument, you void the calibration.  Not only the validity of a calibration certificate but the actual calibration of the system.  When it had dried-out and rusty parts, it was no worse off than after you replaced them. 

Merely holding the probe in front of some uranium glass is not a satisfactory test of the instrument's reliability.  You need a source that is traceable to a standard to calibrate the meter with.  Then you need a KNOWN QUANTITY of radioactive material to test it daily.  Yeah, you got it to give readings of 70 - 75 cpm, but should you have been getting 150?  200? 12? 97? or what?  A consistent answer has no value if it is consistently wrong.

Think of it like tuning a guitar.  You can put new strings on it, make the harmonics match, and even play a song on it.  But, unless you use another tuned instrument or a tuning fork or an electronic tuner to compare it, you can not be sure that it is tuned.  Even if you are one of the rare few people with perfect pitch, you wouldn't have any proof that you could show anyone that the instrument was actually in tune while you were off somewhere playing it by yourself.

You see?  All you can possibly do on your own is to give the "other side" a ton of ammunition to shoot down your concerns.  These people have lawyers.  Those lawyers knew you were coming long before you knew it yourself.  They are ready for you because there is someone like you to challenge them everywhere they ever go.  They are waiting for you, and they will make you look like some crackpot with too much time on his hands.  If you persist on dicking around with meters you get from eBay and vaseline glass and the do-it-yourself brand of radiation detection, you are only discrediting yourself and hurting your cause.

You ought to trust me on this.  If you try do do this without professional help, you are throwing then a slow pitch right over the plate.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2008, 04:29 »
childoftechnology,

I believe your getting some good advice for a great price...FREE!  Although the replies may seem somewhat adversarial, consider it experience for your future endevor.       

What your plan?  Like Beercourt said, they already have their's, what's your?  I would suggest the purchase of a TOPO map and start plotting the locations of the sites you identified, or thought you identified, on the map.  Pull a soil sample at each of those locations, (about one square foot by one inch in depth), and pack them safely away.  I would suggest at least two people be present to validate the sample and a photo could prove to be priceless!  Be carefull on the private property issues and leave a clear indication of your presense!  You noticed their markers and I'm sure they will notice yours!  A point of contact on your markers may also spark their curiosity!  People have a tendancy to do less, when they assume they're being watched!

Then sit back and watch! 

Establish a schedule to check out the sites you've noted on your map.  If there's activity at any site, snap a picture and document it!  When the activity ends and the everyone leaves, go back and take another soil sample.  Send the pre and post sample to a lab for evaluation, with the instructions that all samples be returned!  The lab cost may seem pricy, but validation from a third party eliminates a lot of question you probably couldn't answer.

A lot of individuals believe that simply turning a meter on, seeing a needle movement and hearing a click or two, proves the instrument works.  It may, but it's measuring what and with how much accuracy?  The internet auction sites are a great place for obtaining NOVELTY nuclear instrumentation, but your buying something that somebody else doesn't want!  Now ask yourself WHY?

My 2 Cents...RG!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2008, 08:28 »
maybe i was in error regarding your concerns.  are you worried about health problems from direct radiation from the operation, contamination from the operation getting onto your property, getting the uranium into you and your family's bodies with possible attendant health concerns?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:25 »
I used the term "geiger counter" simply because it's familier, I'm not sure what other term these is (besides survey meter) for a detection device using a GM tube.

Yeah, we don't like the term 'geiger counter'.  GM Tube would have been a better choice.  With this croud, you can even quote model numbers if you want, and we'll understand.

GM's are best for detecting beta, and PM's work best for gamma.

childoftechnology

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2008, 02:00 »
  The unit I had was an Eberline E-530. I don't know the model # of the probe, all I know is that was a thin mica end-window type.
  From what I've learned so far, a scintillation probe is probably more suitable than a GM probe, at least for what I want it for. Ebay is a great source; I've found one seller who is selling fully calibrated meters, scintillation and GM probes, and various types of scintillation crystals at quite affordable prices. Not sure what kind of crystal I'd need for my purposes, but that's what I'm still researching.
  As for the whole uranium thing, I'm not interested in starting any trouble over it. If I did find something I thought was jeopardizing my health, I'd rather just move somewhere else rather than make a stink about it. So anything I do with survey equipment or the like, is mainly just for my own amusement.

Yeah, we don't like the term 'geiger counter'.  GM Tube would have been a better choice.  With this croud, you can even quote model numbers if you want, and we'll understand.

I know people who refer to common metal detectors as geiger counters - I bet you guys would REALLY find that annoying.....

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:36 »
   As for the whole uranium thing, I'm not interested in starting any trouble over it. If I did find something I thought was jeopardizing my health, I'd rather just move somewhere else rather than make a stink about it. So anything I do with survey equipment or the like, is mainly just for my own amusement.

so, you're wanting to prospect for u?  be aware it's difficult to find iffen it's buried >30 cm underground.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 09:31 by SloGlo »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:31 »
Oh!  If amusement is your aim, check out some flea markets.  You'd be stunned off your feet to see what kinds of old crap people have accumulated that will make your meter scream.

We're not just talking about clocks and marbles here.  I'm talking about the actual dishes that people used to eat from (the kind my wife has all over the house), water jugs, artwork, electronics, flower pots, ... etc.

Look for anything that is orange, has an orange tint, or is made of orange earth.  You'll get some interesting hits.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:53 »
I know people who refer to common metal detectors as geiger counters - I bet you guys would REALLY find that annoying.....

Oh god yes.

raymcginnis

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2008, 11:15 »
Oh!  If amusement is your aim, check out some flea markets.  You'd be stunned off your feet to see what kinds of old crap people have accumulated that will make your meter scream.

Or you could buy another area's uranium, retail: http://www.anythingradioactive.com/samples.htm   :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?