Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

The Nuclear Renaissance

(1/27) > >>

withroaj:
To begin with I would like to apologize to everyone who has read my posts and think I am too uppity and have spoke too soon on this forum.  I have frequented nukeworker for the last few years, from shortly after I joined the Navy and throughout the various milestones therein (phases of training, SPU, boat, LIMDU).  Only upon reporting to LIMDU have I really taken the time to construct the pedistal that I stand on and spout nonsense upon the community.  Sorry about that, I seriously have too much time on my hands.

As I draw closer to my six year point my buddies are all starting to get out, many of them without even having jobs lined up.  A few have sent resumes to plants and been denied jobs, not because of the guys themselves, but because the plants simply aren't hiring at a time that supports the departing sailor's EAOS.  I don't want to bring up the recruiter thing, since they do their jobs and we join the Navy.  I do want to bring up the general consensus within the Navy nuke community that we will be swept up into the commercial world upon leaving the Navy;  that the 'old guard' commercial operators are retiring en masse and that the departing nukes will just roll into the new opeinings.

From what I've seen these guys aren't getting swept up, and despite my self-righteous, incoherent babbling that surely destroys any cerdibility I may have, I can say that these are good people.  They may put themselves at risk because of the Navy being their first experience away from mommy, not realizing that grown-ups have jobs, they put their desire to leave the military over their general well being.  They may also be too dependent on one particular region of the US to settle when they get out, but those who are willing to move to nuclear communities don't seem to be finding nuclear jobs.  Of the last ten to get out, I think only one works at a plant right now.  True, many Navy Nukes get out so burned out on nuclear power that they decide to do other jobs, but I have seen a couple actually unable to get nuke jobs on the way out.  Are these people just aiming too high for their entry-level jobs (coming from a world where a guy with two years operational experience calls himself senior)?  Does their problem come from the fact that they think SRO on the boat is the same as SRO in a big kids' plant?

My question:  Is the nuclear renaissance here, or is it just on the horizon?  Do we have to wait for new plants or for the old folks to retire, or can we take our Navy nuclear training from 6-or-8-and-out to a plant to make money?

JustinHEMI05:
My experience is the opposite. Of the last 10 guys I know that got out, 6 are at plants 4 went onto other things. The problem with the nuke industry is that they hire in cycles. So, if they are not filling a class right now, then they aren't going to hire you for NLO/SRO, typically. I wouldn't blame the industry. I would ask your friends just how many places they applied to, and did they search the job openings? In my experience, you have to apply from the website where the specific job opening is, and if there was a listing, and they didn't get hired... then they need to look at themselves. One falsehood that Navy nukes have is that they are going to be auto-hired... that is simply not true. I do know a few guys that are blowing their interviews or the POSS exam, probably because they went into it with the "I am a shoe in" attitude. Or, they couldn't answer questions like "Tell me about a time that you helped lead a team in solving a problem, using the STAR technique."

Now, if they looked at the job site and applied for a job that wasn't posted (which you can't do in most cases), then of course they aren't going to be hired yet. They could go into queue for the next cycle. Also, it tells me that they haven't networked. They haven't come to a place like nukeworker.com to make contacts and give out their name and resume. Here, they could also find out the cycles of many places. For example, I could tell you the next time we will be hiring for NLO. Mike could do the same for his plant. Both of us could hand deliver a guys resume if he meets our individual qualifications (I did it twice in my short time at PV, and both were hired). Sometimes, if you know the right person, they can help you out quite a bit. But again, in the end, it comes down to the individual in the interview room.

If they aren't getting hired, sorry, but its not the industries fault. They need to take another look at their resume, their careers and their interview styles. 6 and out nukes are a dime a dozen, and from what I have seen here, they industry skims for the top of the crop. A guy that did something to make his career stand out. Why? Because they aren't just looking to just fill an NLO slot with this guy, they are hiring guys who will go on to be SROs someday.

So if you or your friends are one of those 6 and outters that did just enough to get by without getting in trouble, well, good luck. With a little determination you will probably get hired but its going to take a little more work. You won't be able to drop your resume at 1-5 places, you need to apply anywhere and everywhere. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a sure path to disappointment. Open up your search and realize that you just need to get your foot in the door somewhere, even if its a place you wouldn't normally want to work/live. You are going to have to learn how to answer questions like I mentioned above.

Even worse is an 8-10 and outter who didn't do anything like qualify EWS or get a degree.

Hope that helps.

Justin

withroaj:
I'm not too worried about myself here, I have a couple years left on the ol' contract and I won't get out until I have met the goals I have for my time in (supervisory experience and a degree).  I'm more worried about the guys who leave to the hallowed CIVLANT/CIVPAC without a real plan.  Just want to see what advice you fellers would put up for me to pass around.  I refer this site to anyone talking about getting out, but many don't really listen.

JustinHEMI05:

--- Quote from: withroaj on Jun 10, 2008, 03:10 ---I'm not too worried about myself here, I have a couple years left on the ol' contract and I won't get out until I have met the goals I have for my time in (supervisory experience and a degree).  I'm more worried about the guys who leave to the hallowed CIVLANT/CIVPAC without a real plan.  Just want to see what advice you fellers would put up for me to pass around.  I refer this site to anyone talking about getting out, but many don't really listen.

--- End quote ---

Well there you go. They don't have a plan. I knew a few like that too. A couple guys that were banking on another friend, that didn't pay out for them. If they aren't listening to you about coming here, bad on them. That is the best advice you could give them, because here, we could direct them to where they need to go. Maybe explain to them too, that to get hired as an NLO with no Navy experience requires a degree. So the industry isn't looking to hire retards, Navy or not. And it really shows in the level of professionalism and integrity out here. Gone are the days of guys too lazy to take logs, wipe up oil, analyze a sample, survey an area or really learn their job, in my experience thus far. I have been so very impressed with the NLOs at my plant. And the interview process weeds out the crap bags from the Navy... the guys that were no loads. The questions asked cannot be faked, and the true being of a person will come out.

Good for you, that you have a plan. Sounds like you are on the right track, and when the time comes, you shouldn't have much trouble finding what you need.

Justin

rlbinc:
Let's talk about a client of mine.
This company has recently discovered that the enactment of the Fatigue Rule has left them very short on Licensed Operators.
Very short might not accurately characterize the situation. Desperately short might be a more accurate description.

They will run +20 man License Classes at all of their sites for the forseeable future, which depletes their NLO ranks.

That makes jobs aplenty for Navy Nukes.

If you can't find a job - either there is a good reason, or you aren't really looking.

My nephew got out (2nd generation nuke) last year and got a nice job with a French company, and he loves it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version