Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Nuclear Renaissance

Author Topic: The Nuclear Renaissance  (Read 108855 times)

withroaj

Re: The Nuclear Renaissance
« Reply #100 on: Jul 14, 2008, 02:09 »
I appreciate the upgrade.  Makes my soap box feel that much stronger.

Cathy

« Reply #101 on: Jul 14, 2008, 03:11 »
A damn shame, if you ask me.  Especially when you take into account the other "energy alternatives" that are all the rage nowadays.  For example, wind energy (which I am all for if it helps me get a taco with a swipe of a debit card anywhere I go in the country), hailed as the "environmentally friendly" alternative to the great satan's nuclear power, takes up a MASSIVE amount of space for very little power output.  Let's use Horse Hollow in Texas as our wind example.  47,000 acres of land produce 735.5 MWe (wikipedia - take it for what it's worth).  Not bad, I guess.

Now let's look at Turkey Point.  3,300 acres of American Crocodile savin' wildlife preserve, producing about 1500 MWe from good ol' Uranium (again wikipedia, but you fellers would be glad to upgrade me, I'm sure).  I know that the individual footprint of a wind turbine is very small, and I have to say again that I am all for wind power in addition to nuclear if it allows me to pay the electricity bill without crying; but it seems that reactor plants take up a lot less space per MW.
Wind power is good stuff until the wind quits blowing:
http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2008/02/28/power-grid-narrowly-averted-rolling-blackouts/
Of course, if we situated wind turbines around D.C. close to the doors of Congress I don't believe we would have the problem of a lack wind blowing out to keep them turning! As a bonus, maybe we could convert some of the heat from all that hot air  :)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #102 on: Jul 14, 2008, 03:19 »
Of course, if we situated wind turbines around D.C. close to the doors of Congress I don't believe we would have the problem of a lack wind blowing out to keep them turning! As a bonus, maybe we could convert some of the heat from all that hot air  :)

Chicago is called 'The Windy City' not because of the weather, but because of the politicians there (it was a political slam by a journalist that coined the nickname.) Maybe we should just set up some wind farms there. Come to think of it, Warren lives there, too. Maybe we could set up at his house.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #103 on: Jul 15, 2008, 12:07 »
Wind power is good stuff until the wind quits blowing:
http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2008/02/28/power-grid-narrowly-averted-rolling-blackouts/

Hmmm. how many days are they actually in session - and how many sessions are 1 person reading a speech to an empty stadium....nope, once again, can't find an effective use for them.... :P
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

illegalsmile

« Reply #104 on: Jul 15, 2008, 12:28 »
Chicago is called 'The Windy City' not because of the weather, but because of the politicians there (it was a political slam by a journalist that coined the nickname.) Maybe we should just set up some wind farms there. Come to think of it, Warren lives there, too. Maybe we could set up at his house.
I believe the Esteemed Mr. W relocated to The North Shore of Ohio...and I know you can do better than "two Mistakes on the Lake."
 ;)

withroaj

« Reply #105 on: Jul 16, 2008, 08:38 »
Hmmm. how many days are they actually in session - and how many sessions are 1 person reading a speech to an empty stadium....nope, once again, can't find an effective use for them.... :P

Now, let's not knock Congress too hard here.  I heard on the news yesterday that Speaker Pelosi is negotiating with China for another loan to get a second economic stimulus check out before the end of the year.  That's taking care of people there.  Don't be cynical.  It's not just election year pandering.   ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #106 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:06 »
Now, let's not knock Congress too hard here.  I heard on the news yesterday that Speaker Pelosi is negotiating with China for another loan to get a second economic stimulus check out before the end of the year. 

Here is someone that can help her negotiate...

[attachment deleted by admin]

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #107 on: Sep 01, 2008, 11:10 »

..."The realistic expectations of industry experts are that the first new nuclear power plant will begin commercial operation in 2017, with a potential for up to 15-20 new plants coming on line in the years shortly thereafter."
      Ralph Anderson, Health Physics News, July 2008

...what would be the first solid indication that this, or something even more optimistic, will actually occur...

rlbinc

« Reply #108 on: Sep 02, 2008, 12:34 »
I think the large part orders are a good sign. We have seen that in the US.
Construction contracts being funded is a stronger sign. There is some of that activity, not in the Billions, though.
Concrete pouring is even better. We haven't seen that in the US.
The new AP 1000 at Sanmen (China) did commence a concrete pour last week.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #109 on: Sep 02, 2008, 01:58 »
Construction contracts being funded is a stronger sign. There is some of that activity, not in the Billions, though.

...do you think this is the most likely scenario...

..."The realistic expectations of industry experts are that the first new nuclear power plant will begin commercial operation in 2017, with a potential for up to 15-20 new plants coming on line in the years shortly thereafter."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #110 on: Sep 02, 2008, 02:45 »

I agree...orders for the long lead-time items like pressure vessel forgings would be a good sign.  I think there is only one company certified to make those things but I'm not 100% sure of that.

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #111 on: Sep 02, 2008, 03:21 »
   ...what would be the first solid indication that this, or something even more optimistic, will actually occur...

First solid indication of a Nuclear Renaissance, in a more employee friendly 21st century...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #112 on: Sep 02, 2008, 03:35 »
First solid indication of a Nuclear Renaissance, in a more employee friendly 21st century...

Hmmm, a coupla beers, and maybe a slow heatup...that would cover the short term....  :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

rlbinc

« Reply #113 on: Sep 02, 2008, 04:23 »
   ...do you think this is the most likely scenario...

I think those dates are possible in the US, if stars align correctly.
If we were talking United Arab Emirates, I'd say it's a slam dunk. The difference? UAE will build with cash, not bonds; and without shareholder and intervenor discussion.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #114 on: Sep 02, 2008, 05:07 »

...is this strategy undoable...

...50 % american electricity from light water reactors by 2030...

...reprocessing...

...electric cars, electric mass transit...

...only air and truck transport remain liquid petroleum...

withroaj

« Reply #115 on: Sep 02, 2008, 05:11 »
Come on, all we have to do is honestly educate Americans on the risks and benefits of nukeeler power.  Easy, right?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #116 on: Sep 02, 2008, 05:47 »
Come on, all we have to do is honestly educate Americans on the risks and benefits of nukeeler power.  Easy, right?

I nominate the Dosimetry Techs to explain the "risks" ;)

rlbinc

« Reply #117 on: Sep 03, 2008, 10:04 »
In 1940, it was visionary to consider harnessing fission for a useful purpose
In 1960, it was visionary to consider US astronauts on the Moon.

You're damn skippy we can get off oil in a decade or two. But we have to commit to it.
Whatever it takes. I'll tell you one thing it will take, is a massive investment in education.
Nobody is talking about that. It will be a main benefit of the energy independence movement.

The late (you knew I'd invoke his ghost) HG Rickover, warned us in the 70's that the decline in education was
the one of the country's greatest vulnerabilities. He thought his program was seeing the early indications
in the declines in NFQT scores and Math abilities observed in NPS pre-school phase.

I called that trend the Teachers Union effect - dumb the students down enough, and they'll always vote for 
the promise of a hand out - because their self sufficiency and confidence has been limited.

I gotta tell you. He was right.
The best thing a nuke can do right now is tutor Math and Science in the public school system.
Teach the teachers how to teach. Then I think we'll have a foundation to work from.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #118 on: Sep 03, 2008, 12:06 »

..."You're damn skippy we can get off oil in a decade or two. But we have to commit to it.

Whatever it takes. I'll tell you one thing it will take, is a massive investment in education.

Nobody is talking about that. It will be a main benefit of the energy independence movement."

rlbinc

...hopefully, this site will serve as a platform...

...searches started at google consistently redirect to nukeworker...

...if you hadn't helped me i wouldn't know, as one of many examples, that four of the nineteen bwr model 4's are housed in mark II reactor containment buildings...

withroaj

« Reply #119 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:52 »
So it's been a few months since this discussion died, and just about every avenue of investment has taken a healthy dump.  A major draw to many enlisted folk getting out of the Navy is the idea that the entire nuclear industry is about to retire, leaving thousands of open positions in the commercial world for bitter blue shirts to fill.

It has occurred to me that quite a few folks may have to roll their retirement dates to the right...  Is that the truth?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #120 on: Feb 24, 2009, 03:40 »
With 401K's drying up like the Sahara what do you think?!?!?!

'cept me, my retirement is not built on 401K's,.... :P

Who still has a 401K?  Last time I checked, I was down to a 200.5K.  :-\ :-\ :-\
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Wydryd99

« Reply #121 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:50 »
I'd like to throw my .02 into this discussion.  But first off, i have the utmost respect for this forum and the discussions/info available here.

I'm a Navy Nuke and I'd like to ask one of the Civilian guys a question.  Specifically the one's who were talking smack (in a funny way) about our plants. 

What's the top speed of your plant?  Mine goes 30+ kts...

;D

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #122 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:08 »
What's the top speed of your plant?  Mine goes 30+ kts...

The big Zero...Zip and I think that's the best feature of the civilian plants for most ex Navy Nukes. It makes it easier to get home at the end of a work day.

8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #123 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:33 »
The big Zero...Zip and I think that's the best feature of the civilian plants for most ex Navy Nukes. It makes it easier to get home at the end of a work day.

8)

For those of us that are fans of "That 70s Show"  I believe this remark should be followed by just one word.

"BURN" ;D ;D ;D
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Wydryd99

« Reply #124 on: Feb 26, 2009, 07:38 »
 :o

Well stated

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?