Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Nuclear Renaissance honeypot

Author Topic: The Nuclear Renaissance  (Read 108651 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: The Nuclear Renaissance
« Reply #25 on: Jun 13, 2008, 03:05 »
Well I too have many "geeky" tendencies.  I wanted to name my son Greyson Carlyle(bonus points for whoever knows where this comes from).  I got the Greyson part just different spelling. 

I probably have a lot more than most, but at least I have fun with it.  Hopefully my son will think I am cool for a few years too.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

PapaBear765

« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2008, 03:57 »
No, you operated a startup source and that's about it.
It might help with the GFE, but usually only the heat transfer part.
You get more in your first two weeks of systems than in your entire Start Up Source experience. Not to mention AOP and EOP training.

Mike

It's amazing how some people can't handle simple, honest questions.

withroaj

« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2008, 05:00 »
Wowzers in my trousers! No need for conflict here. I am amazed by thought of a NNPP plant as a start-up source. Interesting. I want to play in a big kids' plant.

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:11 »
It's amazing how some people can't handle simple, honest questions.

I gave a simple honest answer, in the big leagues the plants put out significantly more than decay heat.

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:12 »
Wowzers in my trousers! No need for conflict here. I am amazed by thought of a NNPP plant as a start-up source. Interesting. I want to play in a big kids' plant.

Your 100% power might be able to roll my feedpump.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:36 »
For folks your age I particularly like the one we call the young 'uns (NA-YGN) - look at their site and see who sponsors their meetings and events. Yup, those big buck utilities trip over themselves to provide cash and facilities for this group. There will be folks at those meetings you might want to get to know.

Maybe they should have 'Nuclear Renaissance Faires' , complete with jugglers, giant roasted turkey legs, jousting tournaments, fake swordfights, complete with the Ren Faire girls in those lace-up bustiere things! ;)

Perfect event to draw out the World of Warcrack nukes...

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #31 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:52 »

Mike

You must be refering to a sub design since A4W has the power output some of the comercial plants.

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #32 on: Jun 16, 2008, 07:21 »
You must be refering to a sub design since A4W has the power output some of the comercial plants.

Which reactor - Shippingport? It is my understanding that the A4W puts out about 100 MWe? That's about the amount of decay heat right after a scram at a 1250 MWe BWR/6.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #33 on: Jun 16, 2008, 07:40 »
Isn't there an old saying that goes something like this.....

Guys that have to brag about how large their reactors are are probably trying to make up for shortfalls in other areas!! ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #34 on: Jun 16, 2008, 09:09 »
You're serious about the feed pump?  Don't get me wrong, I am sure the job gets boring, but that's awesome.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Jun 16, 2008, 10:33 »
Isn't there an old saying that goes something like this.....

Guys that have to brag about how large their reactors are are probably trying to make up for shortfalls in other areas!! ;)

That's so funny, I had to give Gamecock Positive karma! :)

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #36 on: Jun 16, 2008, 11:17 »

..."My question:  Is the nuclear renaissance here, or is it just on the horizon?  Do we have to wait for new plants or for the old folks to retire, or can we take our Navy nuclear training from 6-or-8-and-out to a plant to make money?"...

...video google..."future of nuclear power in the us"...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: Jun 17, 2008, 07:42 »

Mike

ROTFLMAO true.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008, 07:44 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:07 »
Hey it's not the size of your Power Output, but what you do with it that counts!!(at least that's what my wife says)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #39 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:21 »
Hey it's not the size of your Power Output, but what you do with it that counts!!(at least that's what my wife says)

Only guys with small reactors say that.  :P

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2008, 04:28 »
Having a small reactor means it takes less time to get up....to the top for the control rods.  :-\

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #41 on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:27 »
Having a small reactor means it takes less time to get up....to the top for the control rods.  :-\

Fail. :)

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #42 on: Jun 17, 2008, 07:55 »
There isn't a commercial plant in the country whose MWE is less than the MWE Thermal on an A4W Plant. And when I said your 100% couldn't roll my feedpump I meant a Nimitiz Class plant.

Gamecock LMAO!!! :)

Mike
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008, 07:56 by Broadzilla »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:32 »
There isn't a commercial plant in the country whose MWE is less than the MWE Thermal on an A4W Plant. And when I said your 100% couldn't roll my feedpump I meant a Nimitiz Class plant.

Gamecock LMAO!!! :)

Mike

Before I make an ass out of my self and try to think of a way to prove this mathematically with the limited information the dod has issued in press releases. I have a question.

Is the MW# for the commercial sites that is posted on various sites (here, wiki, nrc. ect) the MW electricity or the thermal power of the core?

I would also like to say. First of I have no illusions that a naval plant has anywhere near the complexity of the commercial world. I understand that naval experience is only helpful in the basic concepts of commercial nuclear power. I do not believe that my experience in the navy will make me a definite hire for a commercial plant (especially with the quality of nuke that NNPTC is turning out now).  However I find it insulting to refer to United States Navy vessels reactor plants as startup sources. 
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008, 10:53 by 93-383 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #44 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:11 »
Before I make an ass out of my self and try to think of a way to prove this mathematically with the limited information the dod has issued in press releases. I have a question.

Is the MW# for the commercial sites that is posted on various sites (here, wiki, nrc. ect) the MW electricity or the thermal power of the core?

I would also like to say. First of I have no illusions that a naval plant has anywhere near the complexity of the commercial world. I understand that naval experience is only helpful in the basic concepts of commercial nuclear power. I do not believe that my experience in the navy will make me a definite hire for a commercial plant (especially with the quality of nuke that NNPTC is turning out now).  However I find it insulting to refer to United States Navy vessels reactor plants as startup sources. 

Notice them using MWe.. thats MW electrical. For example, Peach puts out about 1300ish MWe at 3514 MW thermal.

And if there was one thing we all learned in the nuke world, it was NOT to put out our buttons.  ;D

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008, 11:13 by JustinHEMI »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #45 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:24 »

...very impressive mccain energy policy speech today...

...any comments...

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:37 »
All three Reactors on which I have held or currently hold SRO Licenses were rated at around 1100 to 1200 MWE. Fermi was rated at 3430 MWth, SQN is 3455 MWth. SQN is a far more efficient plant thermally as it has 7 stages of Feedwater Heating and recovers virtually everything.

So far as you being insulted, shrugs, it's the truth, they're startup sources you being offended does not make it not so. They're decay heat.

Mike

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #47 on: Jun 18, 2008, 06:08 »
Hey we all(guys) played with toy cars and tonka trucks before we moved on to the real thing. Gotta start somewhere.

withroaj

« Reply #48 on: Jun 18, 2008, 08:14 »
   ...very impressive mccain energy policy speech today...

...any comments...

This is the speech transcript if you are interested.

I don't like the cap-and-trade idea.  That's just about as much a joke as I have heard in the face of a free market.  The idea of paying for pollution doesn't make any damn sense to me.  The idea of trading carbon credits makes even less sense.  It's not like the money will go to rescue polar bears from ice rafts; it will go into big federal projects.

I do like the Nuclear initiative.  It sounds to me like he should stay in the Senate and introduce legislation to encourage nuclear development (I say this based on the assumption that further plant construction is slowed by the license approval process at the NRC/DOE and the massive amount of capital required to finance construction).

I think it's funny that he mentioned the fact that 66 billion dollars a year go to Iran.  Okay, their total oil revenue is just under a tenth of our military budget.  As bad as the controlling regime may be, they are a third world nation.  Let's just stay out of that one.  Sorry to bring it up.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008, 08:17 by withroaj »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Jun 18, 2008, 09:27 »
Oh Boy, pass the popcorn...

Well IMHO the reason why there are so many people opposed to Nuclear Power is because there are too few people who actually understand it.  Remember that a lot of people still have Chernobyl, TMI, and the movie "The China Syndrome" on the brain.  Couple that with Hollywoods gross misrepresentation of basic nuclear theory (see just about any movie that has anything to do with nuclear power, although there are exceptions) and you have a lot of people out there that react to nuclear power with pure emotional fear of the unknown.  We have been tought all the perils of radioactive materials during the cold war and the horrors that radiation can cause from case studies of any of the nuclear(bomb and reactors) events of the past.  On board a carrier, non-nukes are often scared to death to see canary suits even if it is a drill.  I have actually seen people refuse to go into the ships store because it was over a reactor and there were Radiation Area plaques inside the store due to an observation window on the floor of the store.  Our captain had to come on ship TV to explain basics to the crew in order to minimize the panic when the EOOW would announce the Rx was Critical during drills.   It is completely irrational, but it is something that we have to overcome as a nation in order to push forward to new forms of energy.  Enviro-hippies scream all day about solar, wind, and other "green" power, but fail to comprehend that in order to produce the same amount of power a nuke plant could you would have to destroy an exponentially larger amount of land to build those "green" power plants. 

Ok who wants the soap box?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?