Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Have I Made The Wrong Choice? honeypot

Author Topic: Have I Made The Wrong Choice?  (Read 9480 times)

Coppenrath22

Have I Made The Wrong Choice?
« on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:33 »
Hey guys,

Well, I leave for boot camp here in about a week. I scored an 86 on the ASVAB so my recruiter (being a Nuke recruiter) convinced me to take the Nuke test. It was required that I scored 53 on the test but I scored a 62.  So what is next? What the hell, seems like if I qualify for the job why wouldn't I sign up for it? I mean, why wouldn't I want to sign up for the most qualified position in the enlisted Navy?

Well now as my date approaches I have stumbled onto this forum and see that absolutely NO ONE has ANYTHING POSITIVE to say about the program (obviously a slight exaggeration).

My question is.....did I make the right choice? I originally was going to do IS before I realized I could probably qualify for Nuke.  I'm not worried about the difficult schooling, I feel if I dedicate myself to something it can be done.  What I'm concerned about is the quality of life of the nuclear sailor, or the lack there of.

Also, my recruiter said I'd want my car in South Carolina for A and Power School.  How would I even get that stuff there? Have my parents drive it out? Is it allowed to have your car?

Thank you in advance.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Have I Made The Wrong Choice?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:47 »
This is a hard life. But it can open doors after navy. If you want to be a career sailor I would not recomend this program. If you want an easy path to a degree I would not recomend this program there are easier paths though other ratings that don't work as hard and TA. After nine years I have often asked myself knowing what I know now would I still do it and I think the answer is no.

You have to ask yourself "what do I enjoy doing" and from there try and find a path in the Navy that can met that or don't join the Navy if you find that you cannot find something in it that you would like. This is a decision that will affect your life for the next six years (or more) don't make it lightly and don't let anyone else make it for you.

As for the car other threads address the question better but the short answer is yes and no. yes you can have a car but not right away. And yes you will have to figure out a way to get one there the navy will not pay to ship it and you will most likely not get any leave time to pick on up.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2008, 07:06 »
From my perspective, the navy has been very, very good to me.   And, it can be good to you too if you work hard and play your cards right.  This forum, while very good in most respects does tend to paint a bad picture of nuclear life. 

My experiences in 18+ years (8 enlisted and 10+ officer) is mostly positive.  If your overly concerned about quality of life, go surface.  There are more folks to share the pain with. 

I predict in 6 years you will be glad you came in the nuclear navy.  You'll leave smarter, more mature, and you'll know you can accomplish anything. 

Butterflies close to leaving for boot camp are normal.  I predict you'll be fine.

PM me if you want to talk more offline.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:05 »
Hey guys,

Well, I leave for boot camp here in about a week. I scored an 86 on the ASVAB so my recruiter (being a Nuke recruiter) convinced me to take the Nuke test. It was required that I scored 53 on the test but I scored a 62.  So what is next? What the hell, seems like if I qualify for the job why wouldn't I sign up for it? I mean, why wouldn't I want to sign up for the most qualified position in the enlisted Navy?

Well now as my date approaches I have stumbled onto this forum and see that absolutely NO ONE has ANYTHING POSITIVE to say about the program (obviously a slight exaggeration).

My question is.....did I make the right choice? I originally was going to do IS before I realized I could probably qualify for Nuke.  I'm not worried about the difficult schooling, I feel if I dedicate myself to something it can be done.  What I'm concerned about is the quality of life of the nuclear sailor, or the lack there of.

Also, my recruiter said I'd want my car in South Carolina for A and Power School.  How would I even get that stuff there? Have my parents drive it out? Is it allowed to have your car?

Thank you in advance.

Good luck and thanks for your service! Of course you didn't make the wrong choice to enlist in the navy nuke program. You may or may not make the wrong choice when they dangle the carrot of re-enlistment in your face and you leap for it without looking.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008, 11:07 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:39 »

If your overly concerned about quality of life, go surface.  There are more folks to share the pain with. 

That has to be one of the funniest and most true things I've ever seen posted here.

Mike

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2008, 08:50 »
Going nuke is not a bad choice at all.  Just make sure you work hard enough that they don't have to make you work hard (that applies to the training pipeline).  That will allow you to choose your free time, even if there isn't much.  After that, make sure you put a positive spin on every negative thing that happens and try to decide if you really want to be doing what you were before you joined the Navy.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:32 »
ha ha ha ha, mostly positive, but go surface to share the pain...oh my that is funny.  not too hard  to read between those lines, is it Coppen?

nuke is good for when you get out, but if you want to enjoy your time in MORE, there are probably better places to roll the dice.

I'm glad I did it and I did enjoy some of my time in.  The fact is, there are bad commands and good commands in the Navy, so you are rolling the dice no matter what you choose.  there are just ways to stack the odds in your favor depending on what you want.  write down your 5 most important things you want out of the navy and see if Nuke jives with the list after reading about it.

PapaBear765

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:26 »

nuke is good for when you get out, but if you want to enjoy your time in MORE, there are probably better places to roll the dice.

Like not going navy and going Coast Guard instead.  I've never heard anyone complaining about their time there.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2008, 07:48 »
ha ha ha ha, mostly positive, but go surface to share the pain...oh my that is funny.  not too hard  to read between those lines, is it Coppen?

I'm glad I did it and I did enjoy some of my time in.  The fact is, there are bad commands and good commands in the Navy, so you are rolling the dice no matter what you choose.  there are just ways to stack the odds in your favor depending on what you want.  write down your 5 most important things you want out of the navy and see if Nuke jives with the list after reading about it.

I agree 110%.  If you have no goals when you come in, you will probably feel you have made a mistake.  Of course, current personal circumstances can outweigh much of what we may recommend.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?