Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hello everyone!

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 7434 times)

411sponge

Hello everyone!
« on: Jun 18, 2008, 05:24 »
     I just came across this website a few hours ago and I have to say that that I am very impressed with the information and assistance that is provided here! I am hoping everyone could give me a little assistance in getting into the nuke field as well.  I have been basically tutoring math for the past 18 years (even though I don't have a 4 year degree, I have a 2 year AA degree).  I can tutor math from basic math through Calculus and Differential Equations and have taken a Physics and Chemistry class. As you can see I really love math but I want to broaden my horizon and start to apply these concepts to real world situations. 
    I was thinking about taking the POSS test but I am not sure if a can just take this test on my own or do I have to apply for a job at the facility before they let me take the test?  Is this even thr right test to take in the first place? :-\

In your opinion, what kind of jobs should I apply for?  I feel like I am kinna stuck in the middle because I feel book smart but I don't have ANY hands on experience in this field.  Should I take some classes that would make me more marketable? If so, which ones??  I am totally in the dark when it comes to starting a career in this field so ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!  ;D

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2008, 06:26 »
Deep breath, young grasshopper....... :D

About all your questions can be abswered with patience, and diligence.....and the search function.

Generally, the POSS test is given by utilities to prospective operator candidates. Search under POSS, AO, AOI for a start.

Job postings, and the requirements to apply for the job are in the top section of the home page - Jobs. You can setup a login ID for the Job Board, it is separate from your forum ID. Dust off your resume. Many of the postings don't require experience.

Browse around the site for a while. Look at some of the posts by some of the frequent names - get an idea where you can look for more information - the forum is setup so that you can go to a posters profile, and see recent posts. After you have read a million or so posts, you will start to get a feel for who and where to look for more info.

Do a search for the nuclear plants in your area - look at which utility owns/operates them, search the utility website for job postings.

Listen (read) until you start to know which questions to ask, and where to ask them. Make them specific.

Become a Goldmember..... :)

Good Luck, hope this helps.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2008, 08:00 »

...Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

"I think the most important thing I learned as I grew older was that you can't get anywhere without help. That means people have to want to help you, and that begs the question: What kind of person do other people seem to want to help? That strikes me as a pretty good operational answer to the existential question: "What kind of person should you try to be?"

...you find yourself in the sea of change that is our reality...a counterpoint between the urgent quest of youth and the cynical retreat of age...   

...i stand in awe of your potential...

...there is no limit...

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008, 08:05 by wlrun3 »

411sponge

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:31 »
Deep breath, young grasshopper....... :D

;D LOL Thank you for the advice! It just seems so overwhelming at first I really had no idea what the first step is to get my foot in the door. I did go to the job listings and the only job that came up with no training was Turbine Operator  :o I will stick around the forum and gather as much information as I can.

I also noticed that within about 15 miles where I live, there is a Nuclear Training School so I might drop by there for a visit and see what they say!  :P

Once again, thank you very much!  8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:36 »
I also noticed that within about 15 miles where I live, there is a Nuclear Training School so I might drop by there for a visit and see what they say! 

Give the name of the particular school, and someone on here will surely validate the school for you (or keep you from wasting your time). Is it near Goose Creek, SC?  :o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

411sponge

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2008, 12:45 »
Crystal River, Fl.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:45 »
Crystal River, Fl.

You could learn a lot going to the New Construction meetings and shaking hands with Progress / CP&L executives, since that is the county where they intend to build new plants. Probably not a lot to be done by just showing up at the Training Center, but if you get to know someone there, you could be invited to see it.

Of course, they love to hire locals down there, so you should be looking at their website (and here too!) for any jobs that interest you.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

411sponge

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:38 »
Thanks everyone for the replies!  I have been looking on Progress Energies website and so far, there are no jobs I would be qualified for. Most of the jobs being offered require expenrience or a degree (which I have none) . BUt, like many of you have said, I am just going to wait and see what other opportunities are out there.  :)

bheinz

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2008, 11:20 »
Thanks everyone for the replies!  I have been looking on Progress Energies website and so far, there are no jobs I would be qualified for. Most of the jobs being offered require experience or a degree (which I have none) . But, like many of you have said, I am just going to wait and see what other opportunities are out there.  :)

I wouldn't get discouraged. Mostly for an AO job, the monkeys that go around monitoring the plant equipment and doing surveillances, the only requirement is a HS diploma. In my AO class there were 2 people from the merchant marines, a crypto tech from the Marines, a used car salesman, and a few ex-navy nukes. If you are smart, then I'm sure you're trainable. But just because you are bored with your current job doesn't necessarily mean the nuke field is for you. Being great with math and applying it to real world situations in the nuke field can vary. If you are an AO, there isn't much math. Understanding mechanical theory and fundamentals is the basis of my job. Not too much math though. If you want to go to engineering then that background would help, but you would also need a higher degree. I hope this helps a little.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:36 »
For those needing practice test for EEI: Type aep in for both the member and the password.
First, you need to go to the AEP website (in careers under testing) or another companies website with the link to the EEI practice test page. I tried to post the link here the EEI practice test login, but it won't work.
Many power companies will link you to the site, but AEP seems to have the most complete list of practice tests.

The POSS/MASS tests aren't too hard IMHO. I have also taken and passed the System Operator/Power Dispatcher test.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2008, 10:41 by gsmagnum »

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:37 »
Definitely don't be afraid to be anything from a janitor to a coal and ash handler for the company you wish to work for. It is called getting your foot in the door.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?