Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New GI Bill (it applies to post 9/11 veterans, not just new enlistees) honeypot

Author Topic: New GI Bill (it applies to post 9/11 veterans, not just new enlistees)  (Read 37097 times)

PapaBear765

‘‘(k) SECRETARY CONCERNED DEFINED.—Notwithstanding section
101(25), in this section, the term ‘Secretary concerned’ means—
‘‘(1) the Secretary of the Army with respect to matters
concerning the Army;
‘‘(2) the Secretary of the Navy with respect to matters
concerning the Navy or the Marine Corps;
‘‘(3) the Secretary of the Air Force with respect to matters
concerning the Air Force; and
‘‘(4) the Secretary of Defense with respect to matters concerning
the Coast Guard, or the Secretary of Homeland Security
when it is not operating as a service in the Navy.

Yeah, I read that but it didn't make sense.  Is it supposed to be saying that it's 6 years or whatever the respective Secretary says?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Yeah, I read that but it didn't make sense.  Is it supposed to be saying that it's 6 years or whatever the respective Secretary says?

I didn't say it made any sense after all it is in legal jargon. What I got out of it and from what the VA rep at TAPS class said today. It will be up to the Sec Def or Sec Nav and will probably be a re-enlistment perk. Ero It will most likely not apply to people who have left the Navy.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008, 07:51 by Gamecock »

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
I am about to get out and was wondering if anyone has used the OJT option under the MGIB? (specifically at a TVA plant)

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
I am about to get out and was wondering if anyone has used the OJT option under the MGIB? (specifically at a TVA plant)

Yes.  Not at a TVA plant.  What specifically do you want to know?

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
Just how smoothly it went and what the timeline was like....i've heard, like everything VA, it takes awhile and might end up being a lump sum instead of a monthly payout.

Matt

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
Just how smoothly it went and what the timeline was like....i've heard, like everything VA, it takes awhile and might end up being a lump sum instead of a monthly payout.

Matt

Matt,

At Calvert a couple of us guys who were/are new saw an opportunity to get paid OJT benefits while qualifying as shift techs in Chemistry.  We did some research and found out that Calvert was listed as already having an OJT program with the VA.  We applied and found out it was for the RO's going through license class.

We got on the horn and found some folks at the Buffalo VA office who were willing to talk/help and found some of the people on site who were using the benefits and had helped accredit the training program for the RO's.  Long story short, we got a lump sum for back pay and have been recieving benefits monthly since.  Its also nice to see the new hire(s) smile if they are ex-navy.

Its lengthy but dont give up on it.  Where are you at?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
I never thought hosing a veteran out of benefits should fly. They had to prove it to me and they did.
There is no such thing as a good deal - until the check clears.
Rest safe? Not while Congress is in session and elections are coming.

We were promised $445 a month for 45 months plus $60 per dependent. It sounds paltry, but to put it in the present day we'll inflate that by the CPI from 1975 to present...(stand back folks - its a nuke with a calculator...)

That comes to $1851.72 for 45 months plus $249.67 per dependent.
I had a wife and a daughter - so in my case the benefit should have been $105,797.70 in todays dollars.

Not quite Harvard, but with a scholarship and a grant, it wasn't unheard of.

Have you figured out why they cancelled it?
Had 2 million Vietnam Era veterans used it, the tab would have been 211,595,400,000.
Admittedly - 211 Billion is a tad steep for any non-welfare program benefit.

The DoD can make these promises (that it hands off to an under funded VA) only if the benefits are not easily utilized. Hence the professional and timely manner that GI Bill benefit claims are processed and paid. They're hoping the exasperated and broke veteran will drop out - and try something else.

Private Forrest Gump: "...they said it was a million dollar wound, but the Army must keep that, I've never seen a penny of that money..."

After doing some research on my own, I've come to the conclusion that rlbinc was right, and I'm wrong.  There is no way that this can possibly fly long term.  This is ALL about politicians buying our votes... and we are stupid enough to go along with it. Sure it sounds like a grand idea and WOW… Congress is really looking out for us! However, this is going to break the bank. It’s almost criminal. We are essentially saying that this program is going to pay everyone that departs the military up to $80K to get a college degree--Everyone! Even those that don't want it can pass it on to their kids!

And....
From what I read, the source of funding for this one is...drum roll please...DEBT!
The gist of it is that Sen. Webb's original plan was to increase income taxes on the wealthy (don't know what the threshold for that is) by .5 percent on income above a certain level to pay for this. Bush would not sign the bill into law if there was going to be increased taxes, so they compromised by funding the bill via debt.

So, don't worry about a raise in your taxes. Our kids and grandkids will be paying the Chinese for this one. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

And....
From what I read, the source of funding for this one is...drum roll please...DEBT!
The gist of it is that Sen. Webb's original plan was to increase income taxes on the wealthy (don't know what the threshold for that is) by .5 percent on income above a certain level to pay for this. Bush would not sign the bill into law if there was going to be increased taxes, so they compromised by funding the bill via debt.

So, don't worry about a raise in your taxes. Our kids and grandkids will be paying the Chinese for this one. 

Aww, come on.  It won't just be debt.  We can finance part of this by printing money out of thin air.  That's more subtle than debt, and all it does is lower the value of every dollar in circulation by just a liiitle bit.  I do have to admit, though, that I'd probably better brush up on my Mandarin so I can assimilate into being a Chinese citizen.  Hate to have them "press 1 for Chinese, 2 for English" on a tech support call when they take over.

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
Thanks for the info,  seems like it will be backed paid.....still a good deal!

I'm at NFAS in Charleston, SC.  Finishing up my time as an SLPO, <1 month before terminal!!!  Excited and nervous at the same time.  Only big concern is selling the house, other than that I'm ready to move on.  Will be going to the Sequoyah plant with TVA.

Matt

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
Thanks for the info,  seems like it will be backed paid.....still a good deal!

I'm at NFAS in Charleston, SC.  Finishing up my time as an SLPO, <1 month before terminal!!!  Excited and nervous at the same time.  Only big concern is selling the house, other than that I'm ready to move on.  Will be going to the Sequoyah plant with TVA.

Matt

You will get paid back the 1200 only not the 600 plus up if you did it. And you only get paid back once you exhaust your 36 months of benifits. (from the local VA rep)

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
I'm not really worried about the initial investment....much more interested in the monthly payout, will only end up using 18 months of the entitlement.  My kids aren't old enough to benefit from the passdown option either, maybe the wife could though.

Matt

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
For post 911 GI bill you are only paid, the E5 with dependants rate for the zip code of the college, and the book stipend. The college receives the tuition directly from the VA.

However sometime during the next year all of us with Ch 30 MGIB will need to make a choice whether we want the post 911 GIB or MGIB. You will be required to make an irrevocable choice on paper if you want to convert MGIB to 911 GIB.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
FYI....

I don't normally post scuttlebutt, but this is one I believe.

I know someone who saw a brief that shows that by 2016, the cost of the new GI Bill would be 70% of the military budget.  While I don't necessarily believe that it will be that much, it will likely be a significant amount, making the new GI Bill unsustainable in the current fiscal environment. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

ranger2

That's why I'm using it right now...before it goes away.

JsonD13

Is that in dollars spent, projected based off of actual use, or projected based upon everyone getting out using the benefit?  I recall when I went for my GI Bill brief upon getting out that only about 10% of veterans used it.  This was of course before the 9/11 GI Bill being enacted.

I'm sure glad the military funded part of my education, helped out alot.

Jason

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
Post 9/11 GI bill will now pay for OJT (starting October 1st). From what I gathered in research, you will be paid E5 w/ dependant BAH in 6-month decreasing increments (starting at 100%, then 80%, 60%, etc.) for the area in which you work.

So a comparison of Montgomery GI bill payment vs. BAH rates for the area you work in would determine which GI bill would be more beneficial for this purpose.

link: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/Post911_changes.html

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?