Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What to expect.

Author Topic: What to expect.  (Read 6315 times)

RVExotics

What to expect.
« on: Jun 26, 2008, 08:36 »
Hello everyone. First time posting here. I'm a science teacher by profession; well, for a year anyway, and am looking to get on at a local plant for AO training. My goal eventually is to become a RO/SRO. I have a friend who works as an instructor there and teaches many of the classes the NLOs and even ROs and SROs take for various certifications so, of course, he has been a wealth of information for me. However, I'm a thorough person, and am looking for as many perspectives before I go in for my POSS testing and interview as possible.

Here's a little background on me: I have a B.S. in Biology, with emphasis in Life and Earth Science Education for the Secondary Level. I am now certified to teach all 7-12 grades Life, Earth, and Physical Sciences. I spent last year teaching all the physical sciences and a middle school science at a rural school here in Arkansas. It was a fascinating experience and an exercise in patience if anything. I actually had never even considered the possibility of becoming an Operator until speaking with my friend. I didn't realize, firstly, that plants considered people who weren't degreed in Engineering or some kind of ex-Navy. So, apparently I'm good to go as far as my degree is concerned. Having the year of professional experience may also be slightly beneficial in that I do have some real world time employing all the theory I've learned in a practical application. Of course it's only one year.

What I'm wondering is, what kinds of things should I expect from the entire POSS/Interview experience? I've been researching the POSS test and know it's a high stress, quickly paced exam. I feel confident in my abilities to perform well at it but this will be my first high stress exam. For those who have taken it and passed it, did you feel like you knew when you were finished if you had likely passed, or was there some limbo? Were you able to, especially on the math usage section, pace yourself to have at least two run-throughs getting as many quality, rather than quantity, points as possible? Unfortunately, this plant doesn't grade the test on site, so I won't know if I passed for about a week afterward.

As far as the interview, I've had several education interviews, but, assuming I pass the POSS test, this will be my first professional industrial interview. What kinds of questions do most nuke interviewers like to ask? Considering my background is in an unrelated field (more or less), would it be appropriate for me to bring in examples from my teaching experience and apply them to this interview?

I apologize if these questions seem mundane or repetitive. Like I said earlier, I like to be as prepared as possible. I thank you in advance for your advice.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: What to expect.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2008, 03:42 »
There is a book called "What to expect, when you are expecting."

Paperback: 454 pages
Publisher: Workman Publishing Company; Revised Ed edition (November 1996)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 089480829X
ISBN-13: 978-0894808296

As for interview questions, they are the typical... "Tell us about a time when you _________________." had to convince others of your priorities, had a deadline to meet, excelled, overcame adversity, stabed some one in the back, went postal, etc, etc...
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008, 03:44 by Rennhack »

RVExotics

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2008, 09:48 »
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I missed something, but considering it would be physiologically impossible for me to be 'expecting,' I'm failing to see how a pregnancy guide fits in to nuclear power...lol.

Unless of course this quote from one of its critiques refers to my training period:
will make your life utterly miserable for the next nine months.

I kind of figured the interview would focus around questions regarding adversity, problems, etc. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how I can related my teaching and/or college experience to the nuclear power industry.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2008, 09:56 »
Please excuse our smart a@@ Webmaster (You'll find there are alot of us on here.)

The POSS is alot like the military ASVAB. Its an aptitude test. the interview will focus on how you deal with people and your professionalism. i'm sure others can expound on this.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2008, 03:09 »
What kinds of questions do most nuke interviewers like to ask?

A through search would have yielded this result at a minimum:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3488.0

RVExotics

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2008, 05:15 »
Yeah, in my haste to find out, I neglected to even glance down at the bottom of the page and see the post about interview questions. I guess I was just trying to cover all my bases in one fell swoop. Once I learned the interview type was Targeted or Behavioral, I've been able to find many online resources.

I was actually just informed by my friend that my POSS test will be week after next. Once my results come in for it, I'll then receive an interview. The only big downside to it is that my teacher contract was actually due today, and I had to inform my principal that he needed to begin looking for other candidates because I'm trying to hold out for this. Now here's hoping I don't shoot myself in the foot by resigning my teaching position and then, for one reason or another, not getting an AO trainee position.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2008, 10:38 »
Well good luck! Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Hope it works out for you. Any other questions?

Jusin

RVExotics

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2008, 12:13 »
Hmm, I guess "How much preparation is too much?" I received an e-mail from Entergy yesterday inviting me to take the POSS test July 24...as in three weeks from today. I was thinking it was going to be next week, so I've been scrambling to refresh myself on dimensional analysis and spatial reasoning. I guess there probably isn't any such thing as 'too prepared,' but there is a such thing as 'insanity.'

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2008, 04:27 »
Well, I am not sure, I never took a POSS test. You are probably doing fine though.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?