Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Contesting EVALS?  

Author Topic: Contesting EVALS?  (Read 27427 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Contesting EVALS?
« on: Jun 28, 2008, 09:38 »
Can it be done? I recently recieved an EP from my ship, which I wasnt expecting. I was thrilled with that one. Next day, I FINALLY (after SIX months!!!!!!) get my prototype eval. It was completely blazed off. I was a student LPO, first to qualify after shutdown, and had superior performance in all categories, and I didnt get recognized for it. Why? Because some random master chief I've never even heard of decided to just put the "standard 3's down the line" and gave me a crappy eval. Can I submit a brag sheet, AFTER the fact? I know it sounds like im being knit-picky or crass here, but its my career, and I care about it!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Contesting EVALS?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2008, 10:09 »
Don't sweat it. P-type evals don't mean anything. Hell, E-4 evals don't matter either as long as you are P or better. I am sure others can expound on it.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2008, 11:52 »
No one cares... except you.

Also, how many people were you rated against for the EP?

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2008, 09:40 »
All Student evals are cookie cutter.  The only exception is SOMETIMES(key word, tricky phrase) they will actually check a higher box for those who graduate with higher GPAs or have leadership positions(I know you did all this, but the command just didn't do it this time, hence "sometimes").  Your evals only matter when you are actually on the ship and are being compared to other people.  So you can get an EP, but if you are being compared to just yourself, well you better get an EP(A bad sign is getting a Promotable on a transfer eval).  So in a nutshell, there is really no reason to try to go back on those evals unless you want to raise a huge stink about it.  More than likely you would only annoy a lot of people if you did, and thus make people not like you as much.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2008, 10:11 »
All Student evals are cookie cutter.  The only exception is SOMETIMES(key word, tricky phrase) they will actually check a higher box for those who graduate with higher GPAs or have leadership positions(I know you did all this, but the command just didn't do it this time, hence "sometimes").  Your evals only matter when you are actually on the ship and are being compared to other people.  So you can get an EP, but if you are being compared to just yourself, well you better get an EP(A bad sign is getting a Promotable on a transfer eval).  So in a nutshell, there is really no reason to try to go back on those evals unless you want to raise a huge stink about it.  More than likely you would only annoy a lot of people if you did, and thus make people not like you as much.
That is what I was thinking. He is probably being rated against himself being a new guy not tied to a division. Or, he is being rated against others on hold or in the area he is working now. He hasn't done anything to earn an EP in nuke world, unless his ship in the habit of giving EPs to new guys who haven't done anything... which I doubt.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2008, 04:32 »
No one cares... except you.

Also, how many people were you rated against for the EP?

Justin

22 students, 3 "staff". I was the only student, and one of 2 ep's in the division. guess they just "gave it to me" for no reason, right?

not to be a douche bag here, but you really have no clue what the hell you are talking about. I didnt get a "student" eval, I earned my EP fair and square, and it applies to my division on the ship right now.... not sure why you guys are cracking down on me so hard.

Everyone -> I should have elaborated more about my eval. I recieved an eval that was filled out incorrectly (according to my Yoeman and career counselor, not me), and it was also filled out by people I had never heard of before. I was under the impression that your LPO or LCPO was the one that did the filling out.  It was also filled out 5 months AFTER graduating prototype, thats more or less why I feel mine was unfair. If my TC thought I was a P sailor, then thats fine, but I was annoyed to see random people fill it out.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2008, 05:47 »

not to be a douche bag here, but you really have no clue what the hell you are talking about. I didnt get a "student" eval, I earned my EP fair and square, and it applies to my division on the ship right now.... not sure why you guys are cracking down on me so hard.

Most likely due to disrespecting posters that have take the time to answer your posts, perhaps not what you want to hear...
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008, 06:02 by HydroDave63 »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2008, 06:05 »
Life is not fair.  You may have  had a ignorant rater, or one that did not care or disliked you for some reason.  The higher ups rate you mostly on that rating.  A school rating is not worth it in my Opinion to contest.  I got a low rating for not wanting to be supply officer until I seen everything I was signing for.  I was warned by First Sargeant that the Captain was short some items and he did not properly hand receipt them.  He was going to have me sign for everything.  I told the Captain I would sign for everything. He got mad  because he said it would take to long to sign for everything in the company.   Well needless to say he decided against me being supply officer. He left and I got a bad Eval. I contested it.  I was basically slammed for being a disloyal officer and scum. It cost him about 3000 dollars to pay for the missing items.

So unless it is  something really awful, do not contest it.  What you do aboard ship will count most.  You may run into a dirtball rater.  Thats life,  But in this case it seems to be a routine eval.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2008, 06:39 »

22 students, 3 "staff". I was the only student, and one of 2 ep's in the division. guess they just "gave it to me" for no reason, right?

Everyone -> I should have elaborated more about my eval. I recieved an eval that was filled out incorrectly (according to my Yoeman and career counselor, not me), and it was also filled out by people I had never heard of before. I was under the impression that your LPO or LCPO was the one that did the filling out.  It was also filled out 5 months AFTER graduating prototype, thats more or less why I feel mine was unfair. If my TC thought I was a P sailor, then thats fine, but I was annoyed to see random people fill it out.

1. Why did you get your eval 5 months after graduating?  Were you on hold?
2. How many people in your reporting group?
3.  What were the number of EP, MP, P, < P?
4.  How could there be students and staff in the same reporting group?
5.  What was wrong with your eval?  You can read the instruction and figure what was wrong without a YN.
6. Did anyone you know (or recognize from the plant) sign your eval?  Maybe the LCC?

Years ago, I was the second person to qualify in my plant, ranked 3 out of 19 in GPA.  Put more hours in on alternate shifts than anyone so I could qualify.  I was slated to be a SPU until NR cancelled all EM SPU from our class.  I was straght 3.6 with a couple of 3.8.  (i.e. the equivalent of being a P).  My first eval on my first boat was almost straight 3.6 despite being a hot-runner on quals.  I survived these (and a P as a CPO) to make MCPO.  I've also submitted a statement on eval that was filled out wrong.  When I submitted the letter to my COC they wrote a letter to BUPERS to fix the mistakes so I never officially sent my letter.  Good luck, but in the end you will not likely have any luck getting your marks changed.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:20 »
1. Why did you get your eval 5 months after graduating?  Were you on hold?
2. How many people in your reporting group?
3.  What were the number of EP, MP, P, < P?
4.  How could there be students and staff in the same reporting group?
5.  What was wrong with your eval?  You can read the instruction and figure what was wrong without a YN.
6. Did anyone you know (or recognize from the plant) sign your eval?  Maybe the LCC?

Years ago, I was the second person to qualify in my plant, ranked 3 out of 19 in GPA.  Put more hours in on alternate shifts than anyone so I could qualify.  I was slated to be a SPU until NR cancelled all EM SPU from our class.  I was straght 3.6 with a couple of 3.8.  (i.e. the equivalent of being a P).  My first eval on my first boat was almost straight 3.6 despite being a hot-runner on quals.  I survived these (and a P as a CPO) to make MCPO.  I've also submitted a statement on eval that was filled out wrong.  When I submitted the letter to my COC they wrote a letter to BUPERS to fix the mistakes so I never officially sent my letter.  Good luck, but in the end you will not likely have any luck getting your marks changed.

thank you for the first reasonable response to my question :)

Just to clarify, I recieved a "P" from prototype, and an "EP" eval on the ship, not going to contest an EP lol.

To answer
1) I was NOT on any kind of hold from prototype. I merely didnt get an EVAL (First problem). I sent countless requests, and my master chief at the time had to call them up and basically demand it immediately.
2) Just me to the ship
3) from the prototype eval, 3 people recieved EP's, 18 recieved MP's, rest recieved P's. Thats why Im a little upset about mine being blazed off.
4) On the ship, "staff" and "Students" in RT division were grouped together. I was the only student to recieve an EP, and the other one was a staff member
5) It just wasnt filled out properly. I recieved NOB's in blocks that should have had remarks, it was filled 4 months AFTER seperation of the command, and it was filled out by people not even related to my CoC

I think you more or less understand whats going on, and your story is "comforting" I guess. Annoying, but I guess I will just eat it.

Thenukeman -> I was rated by someone who didnt even know me... 4 months after seperating from the command. Tell me everything is right here...

Hydrodave -> who have I disrespected? I was annoyed with Justin's comments about how I didnt earn my EP, why shouldnt I? I believe this post is confusing people, thats all.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2008, 04:46 »

Hydrodave -> who have I disrespected?

Arguing with experienced nukes with steaming time since, oh, February 2007 who try to give advice based on real experience.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10250.msg54228.html#msg54228

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2008, 07:38 »
Arguing with experienced nukes with steaming time since, oh, February 2007 who try to give advice based on real experience.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10250.msg54228.html#msg54228

I never argued with anyone in the post, and it's also over a year old sir. I have aged considerably since then. I would consider myself childish and dumb back then.

That said, I apologize if you guys feel like im disrespecting you. Im just annoyed with the shitty situations the Navy has put me in, and I'm getting really tired with it. My chain of command is useless, or unwilling to help, so thats why I come to you guys. You have helped me before, and Im extremely grateful for it. You guys have (unfortunately) been my best resource for help and answers.   Trust me, I know my place right now. Im also aware of the "life isnt fair" adage, but to have a master chief do your eval incorrectly 4 months after seperation is a bit ridiculous. Im not fishing for a good eval, Im fishing for an accurate evaluation of my performance. If I was a "P" sailor, then by all means, thats fine.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2008, 08:22 »
I never argued with anyone in the post, and it's also over a year old sir. I have aged considerably since then. I would consider myself childish and dumb back then.

That said, I apologize if you guys feel like im disrespecting you. Im just annoyed with the shitty situations the Navy has put me in, and I'm getting really tired with it. My chain of command is useless, or unwilling to help, so thats why I come to you guys. You have helped me before, and Im extremely grateful for it. You guys have (unfortunately) been my best resource for help and answers.   Trust me, I know my place right now. Im also aware of the "life isnt fair" adage, but to have a master chief do your eval incorrectly 4 months after seperation is a bit ridiculous. Im not fishing for a good eval, Im fishing for an accurate evaluation of my performance. If I was a "P" sailor, then by all means, thats fine.

Derek's reply #8 prolly said it best. Since the chance of getting the Evals fixed is low, let's focus on your success post-Nav, coming out here to join us in the electric power industry!

Karma to ya for giving it a second reading....

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2008, 08:25 »
Derek's reply #8 prolly said it best. Since the chance of getting the Evals fixed is low, let's focus on your success post-Nav, coming out here to join us in the electric power industry!

Karma to ya for giving it a second reading....

Thats fair enough :)

Unfortunately the Nav has dug its claws pretty deep into me right now :(  Im so lost its not even funny

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2008, 09:48 »
OK, I am confused now...you were gung-ho, then had the hold fiasco, wanted to stay, your command requested a waiver, now you are staying in, but now you are lost?

Explain.

And the eval thing, don't sweat it. E-4 evals get purged from your service record anyways. They are nice to read if you got a good one, but don't have any teeth.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2008, 11:58 »
OK, I am confused now...you were gung-ho, then had the hold fiasco, wanted to stay, your command requested a waiver, now you are staying in, but now you are lost?

Explain.

And the eval thing, don't sweat it. E-4 evals get purged from your service record anyways. They are nice to read if you got a good one, but don't have any teeth.

They set me up for failure pretty much. I was going strong, doing well onboard. they said I wouldnt get my tld for a while, but I didnt sweat it at the time. So then about a month ago, I started to get tired of waiting and doing nothing. I havent studied in a good 4 months now, my knowledge is toast, and I'm doing nothing but cleaning toilets. So then my rad health officer takes me into his office and sits me down. He goes "I understand your predicament, therefore, Im willing to help you do what ever you want". I spent a couple days thinking, talking to khaki, and most importantly my family. I decided, hey, lets just cut my losses and get out. The DAY, the very DAY I go in to decide and start my paperwork, the SMO found some obscure peice of paper, and is "pushing my waiver" through with that, and I am unable to get out now.

so you may ask "well isnt this what you wanted?"... short answer, yes. I absolutely love my job. I love standing watch, operating the plant. Many dont, but I get a huge high in operating a nuclear reactor plant. However, do you ever watch sailors cleaning toilets on those TV specials? The ones that screwed up, and just blasphemy the navy?  well Im stuck cleaning toilets all day, and I didnt even do anything wrong! Whats worse, I get my ass chewed by freaking MASTER chiefs or HIGHER EVERY SINGLE DAY! I will get the heads spotless, and berthing spotless, and go sit down somewhere, and get my butt chewed for "Doing nothing", OR my favorite, a watch section will change, and the guys just off watch come and sleep, and leave there boots on the ground... guess what happens to me when some high up khaki walks through.

Its depressing, its old, Im extremely annoyed. I dont even want to go to work anymore. I dont want a pity party, i just want you guys to understand, that its not all fun and games.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2008, 12:22 »
I don't even want to go to work anymore. I don't want a pity party, i just want you guys to understand, that its not all fun and games.

Shipmate, you are celebrating your own pity party.  You get a lot of good advice on these boards, and spend most of your time contesting it.  I know Khaki at you last command, and at your current one.  Both are reasonable commands.  It seems a lot of people have tried to help you, yet you spend more time finding fault than understanding.  For a young nuke that earned obtained an EP you sure spend a lot of time disrespecting the very chain of command that rewarded you with one.  Your ship and your department are going through some hard times right now.  All involved need to pull their weight.  If that means cleaning latrines then so be it.  You underestimate your audience if you think all of these prior Navy (God bless 'em) nuke's didn't have their share of bad mid watches, early morning startups, field days, head duties, and ORSE preps.  Get used to it.  It is a tough job.   Man UP!

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2008, 12:32 by LDO4CNO »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2008, 02:10 »
I agree, we have all had bad experiences in the Navy. No one likes cleaning, mindless work, etc. And the grass is always greener.

If you man-up and except your predicamate as a "sh@@ happens" situation, then you will get through it and a few blinks from now you will have moved on to bigger and better things.

I have seen guys in your situation get so obsessively tunnel visioned with their short term troubles that they burn down the world around them leading to LONG TERM ramifications.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2008, 09:25 »
Seems to me that what might have happened was that they forgot or lost your initial eval that was accurate with what you feel you deserved.  Fast forward 4 months later and your new command is screaming because you aren't supposed to have a lapse in reporting periods for evals.  Prototype does the "flop and twitch" and pulls up a copy of Joe Schmoe's Eval, Copy and Paste your name into it, and Viola` You have a new eval.  Now you were supposed to have signed your transfer Eval when you left, and I would be curious is this new and "not improved" eval has your signature or not. 

Take all that for what you will.  Either way, the only thing that is of any importance on your Prototype Graduation Eval is your class ranking if you decide to go to a instructor Shore Duty(I highly recommend Protohell Prototype.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2008, 03:30 »

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I would personally like to hear how you earned an EP with under a year on the boat?

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008, 11:16 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2008, 03:36 »
They set me up for failure pretty much. I was going strong, doing well onboard. they said I wouldnt get my tld for a while, but I didnt sweat it at the time. So then about a month ago, I started to get tired of waiting and doing nothing. I havent studied in a good 4 months now, my knowledge is toast, and I'm doing nothing but cleaning toilets. So then my rad health officer takes me into his office and sits me down. He goes "I understand your predicament, therefore, Im willing to help you do what ever you want". I spent a couple days thinking, talking to khaki, and most importantly my family. I decided, hey, lets just cut my losses and get out. The DAY, the very DAY I go in to decide and start my paperwork, the SMO found some obscure peice of paper, and is "pushing my waiver" through with that, and I am unable to get out now.

so you may ask "well isnt this what you wanted?"... short answer, yes. I absolutely love my job. I love standing watch, operating the plant. Many dont, but I get a huge high in operating a nuclear reactor plant. However, do you ever watch sailors cleaning toilets on those TV specials? The ones that screwed up, and just blasphemy the navy?  well Im stuck cleaning toilets all day, and I didnt even do anything wrong! Whats worse, I get my ass chewed by freaking MASTER chiefs or HIGHER EVERY SINGLE DAY! I will get the heads spotless, and berthing spotless, and go sit down somewhere, and get my butt chewed for "Doing nothing", OR my favorite, a watch section will change, and the guys just off watch come and sleep, and leave there boots on the ground... guess what happens to me when some high up khaki walks through.

Its depressing, its old, Im extremely annoyed. I dont even want to go to work anymore. I dont want a pity party, i just want you guys to understand, that its not all fun and games.
:'(

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008, 11:17 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2008, 01:36 »
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.
I would personally like to hear how you earned an EP with under a year on the boat?
Justin

Well, I was a bit shocked I received an EP honestly. I EXPECTED an MP for my efforts though.
Where to start... I qualified BNEQ hella fast, especially compared to the next closest guy from recent times. WHILE i was qualifying BNEQ and waiting for my boards I qualified 3M, QA, SRW, and helped out RM division, even though I didnt belong to them. I was definently the guy people went to for help and tutoring, and I actually stayed after 2-3 times a week for extra hours to get extra studying in. I was never late, and I ALWAYS have an immaculate uniform. I was not the student LPO, however, I Was the one who made the watchbills, told people where to be and what to do, and the actual SLPO came to me for advice.

Im not a suck up, Im a diggit. People STILL call me "Chief Graham", even with my status. They think they are insulting me, however, I take it a as a compliment. I strive to do well in every action I perform.

Flash forward... 4 months without being able to even look at a book, cleaning latrines every freaking day, watching my shipmates get boned with 6 and 6's, and the absolute scorn they have for me that I am unable to stand it. Its not about the "work". For gods sake I have no job, no boss, no anything right now. Technically, I have the "Easiest" job in the nuke world right now. I cant even qualify anything! (I tried taking a test this week, and even though I finished it, an RT chief shredded it! despite that I completed three oral boards).  On top of all this, I have very high ranking officials coming a bitching at me for the stupidest things. I do what they say, but its never enough. I even go above and beyond (i.e. stripping and waxxing the office floor, so it looks good) without anyone telling me, and I still get crapped on. Its tiring... especially with our rotation.

Im not asking anyone to "Feel sorry" for me, Im just asking to not get crap from you guys, I get enough of it onboard. Please put away your notions that Im being a whiner, and realize, that I just want to advance my career as quickly as possible, which is why I asked about my evals, nothing more, nothing less.

Jason -> I agree, I received a "Chit chat" from my first classes (all of them lol), and they gave me the "you are better then this" speech. I understand what you are saying, and I will do my best to adopt that point of view.

Precious blue -> Thats EXACTLY what happened. They had to have lost it, or worse, never have done it. The new one does NOT have my signature on it, and it was acknowledged that I was transfering commands without the eval.

JsonD13

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2008, 10:52 »
My word of advice to you, look at the eval instruction!  You will see procedures for covering an eval gap.  If you are not E-5 yet, it doesnt matter at all (Chief board only looks at the last 5 years, so even if you are an e-5 you have to make e-6 on the 1st or 2nd try (without EP's) and make board your first e-7 test). 

If prototype did not follow correct procedures, then thats one thing.  The fact that peoples names are on your eval that you did not know?  Well, there are plenty of people in the CoC down there, and guess what, they have rotation dates too!  It could very well be that someone just turned over a job.

From the sounds of it, you are on a carrier.  Why didnt the CoC there put you TAD to a different department?  There are a few places like gage cal, security, supply, etc. that you could be doing a "useful" job (even though it has no relavance to your nuke job).

Did you ever talk to the RHO about the "obscure" instruction the SMO found?  Did you ask if you could look it up yourself?  Sounds to me its just another case of a person who doesnt take the time to research what should be done well enough.  This is your life, read up, figure out what you can or cant do, and then take action.

Oh, BTW, most of the nukes that I know are way too busy when they get up to the E-9 level and up to be looking at instructions figuring out the right thing to do.  Its up to you to educate them sometimes.  ;-)

Jason

withroaj

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2008, 10:50 »
Another little tidbit of advice for while you're still in a holding pattern:  remember to page check and repair when entering a tech manual change.  That will make life a little less boring and your Protopal Eval seem less important.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2008, 02:28 »
Hey Graham,

You may have gotten screwed, but that was pretty much the same treatment we got down in Charleston. I'm a SPU and graduated in the top 5%, yet I got a P as well. I don't know of anyone from 0701 who got higher than a P. The worst part is that the evals were done by some tool in offcrew, not people that I interacted with in those 4 painful months (who obviously felt I did well enough to stay on with them). But in the end, I know I'll be evaluated on many many more things than my prototype eval. Chin up.

It happens dude. Always try your hardest because it's who you are, not to be recognized by anyone else. Hopefully karma will pay off for you in the long run.

Love always,

Cook

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?