Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I be a priority for prototype?

Author Topic: Can I be a priority for prototype?  (Read 9497 times)

ThatMilDivGirl

Can I be a priority for prototype?
« on: Jul 20, 2007, 03:51 »
Is there any way (besides marrying another nuke) that I can be considered a priority for a certain prototype?

s1wlightning@msn.com

Re: Can I be a priority for prototype?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2007, 03:54 »
When I went through the pieline about 5 years ago, everybody got what they wanted.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2007, 04:14 »
When I went through the pieline about 5 years ago, everybody got what they wanted.

same here..... well one person did change choices after being bribed by the master cheif with a donut

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2007, 07:02 »
Is there any way (besides marrying another nuke) that I can be considered a priority for a certain prototype?

To answer your question... no. They really don't give a crap about what you want.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007, 12:00 by Nuclear NASCAR »

jsilvavalentin

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2007, 07:22 »
No you won't be a priority, but normally how it goes is:
The "splits come out. This says how many students from your class get to go to NY and how many get to stay. They try and split everybody by their choice, since the slpo's/class director are the ones who actually have the ultimate say on who goes where, not some random detailer in another state. You might be lucky and be on a 50/50 split class, which normally means that only 2 or 3 will have to switch prototypes. This was the case when I was going to prototype. There's also the case in which either plant @ either prototype gets shutdown for an extended period of time. Then the "split" will lean more towards the other prototype. In this case, most people won't get what they put in for.
MM2

badger

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:15 »
If you marry another nuke, you should NOT be sent to the same prototype as you would fall under the same chain of command.

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:42 »
If you marry another nuke, you should NOT be sent to the same prototype as you would fall under the same chain of command.
That is not the case for prototype you would not be on the same crew or shift as your spouse, I know at Charelston they would put you and your spouse on the diffrent Plants but keep you on the same shift cycle so your schedule was only about an hour a part..of course marrying some one in your class is a whole nother super sized can of worms I don't even want to talk about.
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008, 01:23 »
Yeah, get good grades.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:49 »
Yeah, get good grades.

Not true........

We level load now also, which means that we don't send all the guys with a high GPA to one prototype, and all the guys with a low GPA to another.  We ensure a mix of GPAs at each site.
So, say you have a 3.90 GPA and the top guy has a 3.91 GPA, the guy with the 3.91 GPA will likely get his choice while the guy with the 3.90 might not.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

PapaBear765

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2008, 03:32 »
Everyone is right: the needs of the navy will prevail.  Having said that, unless there's a great need for someone to fill a particular billet, then they're going to try to even out the distribution of "hot runners" and "anchors."  Also detailers will try to meet the desires of the individual.  I always got whatever I asked for.  But at the same time, when I got to the PCU Texas (now the USS Texas) right out of prototype my orders were modified to the USS Montpelier due to their RC Division losing too many people and them going on deployment in less than two months.  So the needs prevailed.

BZ is right about still trying to get good grades.  It will pay off later when you might want to return to NFAS, NPS, or NPTU as staff for shore duty.  Your grades are even part of a request form you fill out if you're on crew and want to be in OCTG.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:45 »
Not true........

We level load now also, which means that we don't send all the guys with a high GPA to one prototype, and all the guys with a low GPA to another.  We ensure a mix of GPAs at each site.
So, say you have a 3.90 GPA and the top guy has a 3.91 GPA, the guy with the 3.91 GPA will likely get his choice while the guy with the 3.90 might not.

Which is exactly what I said. Are you implying there are other classroom ranks besides #1?

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:12 »

Which is exactly what I said. Are you implying there are other classroom ranks besides #1?

Mike
BZ is right about still trying to get good grades.  It will pay off later when you might want to return to NFAS, NPS, or NPTU as staff for shore duty.  Your grades are even part of a request form you fill out if you're on crew and want to be in OCTG.
This is IIRC the way it was done when we were in:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13493.msg74924.html#msg74924

So, yes success in GPA was the determining factor.  They evenly split all the GPA's so ALL the prototypes got an even smearing of students.

So, you were competitive within your A/B/C/D category.

At least this is my recall on the matter.

Several things going on here and for the most part...you are all right.

Yes, GC, we do level load and each prototype gets their fair share of knuckleheads, chuckleheads and brainiacs.  PB, the detailers really do try to satisfy the "desires" of the individual but truly at the end of the day, everyone gets detailed and some people get their last choice.

BZ, you are right as well.  There isn't any other classroom rank than numero uno.  The plaque we hand out for the second place finisher is lovely and looks just like the anchor's plaque (because they don't get one)

However, for the officer rankings getting good grades really does affect you.  I will chronicle the flight of one Naval Officer who won't mind me speaking typing about him.  He's a very good friend of mine. 
This officer was top ten percent in NPS but no where near number one.  Then went to prototype and ran away from the pack.  He got his beautiful AAA plaque and went on his merry way.  Then a few years later did extremely well on his Engineer's exam.  For his Dept. Head tour, the detailer really wanted him to be an Engineer but this guy really wanted to be a Weapons Officer on a boomer.  Finally, cooler heads prevailed and the needs of the navy were met...I got my orders he was assigned orders to a boomer for the Weapons Officer position.  Two years into his tour, and completely unbeknownst to him or his CO, the detailers called one afternoon and they plucked him out of his sea tour and sent him to Prototype to be the XO.  (This was not where he wanted to go!)  After much kicking and screaming, the needs of the Navy were met...and he loaded up the truck and they moved to Goose Creek.
Moral of the story for O-gangers:  Don't be number one at P-type and don't smoke your Engineer's exam unless you want to be considered for the worst job in the Navy.

P.S.  Don't feel bad for my friend.  I still keep in touch with him and it all worked out for him in the end.  Last I heard, he got his dream job in East TN at a commercial nuclear power plant as an Ops Instructor. 

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:44 »
Mike LOL,

Great story my friend.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mikey

PapaBear765

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:50 »
In the end, what's so important about where you spend 6 months of your life?  Trying some strategy based on everything from this discussion by somehow sacrificing your GPA to get the location you desire...why?  You'll be spending almost half of your time at work anyway.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2008, 03:51 by PapaBear765 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?