Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Too good to be true?

Author Topic: Too good to be true?  (Read 17323 times)

withroaj

Too good to be true?
« on: Jun 30, 2008, 11:56 »
A friend of mine checks out on terminal in 12 days.  The command (and Navy) just offered him three years at PMT in Pearl if he elects to reenlist.  This will waive his first term sea duty requirement, and send him to shore duty with about 4 years on board.  Is this too good to be true?  Also, if any of you fellers have worked at PMT Pearl Harbor, how was it?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Too good to be true?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2008, 11:58 »
Pearl is beautiful. But it is wickedly expensive.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2008, 12:01 »
Yeah, we were stationed there, so the dude already knows the places to go and people to do.  Also got some pals out there.  The issue here is:  should he trust this deal?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2008, 01:56 »
If he wants to do it. Have him negotiate the orders with the detailer under the provision that once orders are in hand he will re-up. Detailers can cut orders that your current EAOS cannot fill the caviout with thoes orders is to accept them you mus OPLISERV prior to detachment of your current command either by extention or re-enlistment.

He should NOT TRUST the command to do this for him, when it comes to re-enlistment and orders (or for that matter any thing to do with your career), you must take charge of you own career to make sure its done right. This isn't to say that he shouldn't ask for the commands help or more importantly someone in the COC that knows the detailer and can make things happen.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2008, 01:59 by 93-383 »

withroaj

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2008, 05:51 »
I will pass the word. True heroes, all of you.

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2008, 08:24 »
By the way, they're only asking him to re-up for three years, the length of shore duty, without obligated service on a ship after shore duty.  The guy's awesome at what he does, and the command appreciates that from him, but would they really just hook him up with a sweet deal for being good at his job?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2008, 10:15 »
I took this from the submarine officer community status brief.....

"Attracting our most talented nuclear operators to NPTU instructor duty is essential to maintaining nuclear fleet readiness.  Instructor duty is the most important shore duty in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program (NNPP) and requires our best efforts in attracting and sending the right caliber of Sailor to these positions.  The significance of these billets is recognized by the Navy in the level of Special Duty Assignment Pay for prototype instructor personnel, and in Chief Petty Officer selection board precepts that specifically recognize instructor duty as valued in our Chief Petty Officer selectees."

I think if your friend was such a hot shot...he'd be getting a deal for NPTU....not PMT.
Could be on the up and up...but smells fishy to me.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2008, 10:36 »
Touche'.  I won't pass that on to him (could be a heart breaker), but I will keep that in mind when it comes time for ME to negotiate for shore duty.  To be honest, I think the guy didn't have any solid plans for getting out and said 'Pearl or Bust' when he was facing down life after the Navy.  I also think PMT might be alright for someone who missed the bus when it came to preparing to get out; not for someone trying to get their ducks in a row for a potential Navy career.  With your experience you have to have seen guys 'accidentally' make a career out of the Navy.  Hell, some of the best leadership I've had came in with the 'Six and out' mentality and stuck around when that 'growing up' priority shift hit them.

I like to use the South Park 'Underpants Gnomes' as an analogy for the anti-retention community.

Phase One:  Steal Underpants (replace "steal underpants" with "Get out of the Navy")

Phase Three:  Profit

What's Phase Two? -->  Phase Two?  We haven't gotten around to that.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008, 10:51 by withroaj »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2008, 03:21 »
I took this from the submarine officer community status brief.....

"Attracting our most talented nuclear operators to NPTU instructor duty is essential to maintaining nuclear fleet readiness.  Instructor duty is the most important shore duty in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program (NNPP) and requires our best efforts in attracting and sending the right caliber of Sailor to these positions.  The significance of these billets is recognized by the Navy in the level of Special Duty Assignment Pay for prototype instructor personnel, and in Chief Petty Officer selection board precepts that specifically recognize instructor duty as valued in our Chief Petty Officer selectees."

Only one word needs to be used to sum up the above quote.

Propaganda

Right now Prototype is so hard up for people to go there that at one time(don't know if it is still true) they are offering guys at NNPTC to do a follow on shore duty if they go to prototype.  They are offering waivers out the wazzu just to get guys to go there.  If the CPO selection board was really that hard up on Prototype, they would just about make it a requirement to go there.  As it is, going to prototype as a sea returnee can as much of a career builder as it can be a career breaker.  All depends on timing.  If you get there at the wrong time, it could be 2 years before they put you into EWS quals just because you had to wait in line behind all the other E6s that were there before you that are waiting to go into quals, let alone have enough time to qualify EOOW(which is just about a requirement to make CPO at Prototype).  Get there at the right time and you could easily jump from SIR to EWS to EOOW in under 2 years. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2008, 04:50 »
If you get there at the wrong time, it could be 2 years before they put you into EWS quals just because you had to wait in line behind all the other E6s that were there before you that are waiting to go into quals, let alone have enough time to qualify EOOW(which is just about a requirement to make CPO at Prototype).  Get there at the right time and you could easily jump from SIR to EWS to EOOW in under 2 years. 

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've read in a while....

So, you're telling me that you need to be EOOW qualified to make chief at NPTU.  BS I say.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2008, 05:37 »

So, you're telling me that you need to be EOOW qualified to make chief at NPTU.  BS I say.

I am saying that based on my observations when I was there.  I would venture that out of the 3 years I was there 2003-2006, 70%(my estimate) of the Sailors that were selected to CPO were indeed qualified EOOW.  Those that were not, were qualified EWS in the fleet and were in their first full year at prototype.  When the majority the majority of people at prototype are CPO eligible First classes, it is really tough to stand out enough to get the MP let alone the EP.  About the only way to do it was to Qualify EOOW or work for one of the support barges to which you were only being compared to others in that area.  Yes I saw a few people that were selected that weren't EOOW qual'd, but I saw A LOT more that were.  I am sure that there are a few other people that will back me up on this one. 
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008, 05:38 by Preciousblue1965 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:00 »

Ya I agree with you. Being qualified EOOW/EDO didn't get me MMC first time up as sub MMs at the time were making MMC at the 10-12 year point. Second time up, probably would have but by that time I was ROAD so I didn't even crack the booklet. I saw many many non-sub EMs make EMC without even EWS. Same for surface ETs. Seemed sub guys needed EWS at least. EOOW didn't mean crapola. What was more depressing is that it didn't mean crapola to the commercial world.  :'(

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2008, 06:28 »
I will concede that there were somepeople that were not qualified EOOW that made CPO at NPTU Charleston. I will concede that it is probably not an "official" requirement by the CPO board.  However, it was my perception(we all know what they say about perception) that in order to have a realistic chance at CPO you had to be qualified EOOW.  It easily could be due to the evals, but just from what I saw, CPO slots went to few sailors at NPTU and most of those were EOOWs.  Of course there is always that one guy/gal that everyone asks "how in the heck did they make Chief?" 

AmericanPride

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2008, 07:52 »

I think if your friend was such a hot shot...he'd be getting a deal for NPTU....not PMT.

Thats exactly what the recruiters kept shoving down my throat... You can go to NPTU or Prototype (BTW, I'm the guy withroaj was talking about). It didn't sound like my cup of tea so I was going to get out and go to college. I came back from leave and halfway through my checkout process the COB offers PMT and anything else I reasonably wanted (sea time waiver, orders, "terminal leave", no more extended time on the boat... etc.).

So basically it came down to:

1) University of Connecticut -> Free tuition for vets (which the new GI bill trumped)
    BS Job until intern and even then its an iffy.
    4 Credit Acceptance from the Navy (4 years min for BS in MechEng)

-Or-

2) Online TESU BS in NucTech (still don't know if it means anything but hey its a piece of paper in a much faster time frame)
    Additional schooling around the country from manufactures (Oil Analysis to Mechanical Seals)
    Continued Experience Growth
    PMT in Pearl (screw the winters here)
    52k bonus for three years

Its just silly to not do it on my part. Also, now that I know about this gem of a website; I can lurk, network, plan for a real life after the Navy. It seems like I'm locked into getting a maintenance position when I get out though with everything I have/will be doing. I don't know but I have 3 years to figure things out. (Maybe the US will open the flood gates for Nuclear power by then  :-\)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2008, 08:28 »
In my opinion it boils down to do you want to stay in the Navy for 3 years? An extra 52K can easily be made in a year of fully qualified time at a nuke plant vs. 3 years of additional Navy time.

It also depends a little on what you want to do in nuclear power.

If you want OPs and you wait 3 years, you might be getting out when there are no OPs classes available. You may be waiting 6 months to a year before a class starts at a plant where you want to work.

Also, its hard to interview for a post Navy nuclear job, way out in Pearl.

AmericanPride

« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:09 »
In my opinion it boils down to do you want to stay in the Navy for 3 years? An extra 52K can easily be made in a year of fully qualified time at a nuke plant vs. 3 years of additional Navy time.

It also depends a little on what you want to do in nuclear power.

If you want OPs and you wait 3 years, you might be getting out when there are no OPs classes available. You may be waiting 6 months to a year before a class starts at a plant where you want to work.

Also, its hard to interview for a post Navy nuclear job, way out in Pearl.

I suppose that is the big boy question. What do I want to do? Yes...

I was planning on going to college if I didn't stay in so I'd be looking at joining the market 3-4 years anyway. The job hunters have been giving me terrible options at least minor things that aren't interesting to me. (and in the most obscure places) It seems like they just want to clear their list of "hot jobs".

I'm going to spend some quality time here to figure things out. I need to learn all the paths in the nuke industry. Maintenance seems the most comfortable but I don't want to be a full time wrench turning knuckle dragger until I'm 65. Also I'm not picky on location when I get out. Whatever is the best opportunity and offers the most growth will suit me just fine.

Off to the search function...

Jeff

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2008, 01:20 »
2) Online TESU BS in NucTech (still don't know if it means anything but hey its a piece of paper in a

If it means anything, my Shift Manager who just got promoted to Ops Superintendant has that degree.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2008, 06:26 »

Jeff

AWWW......I think I just saw BZ shed a tear :'(

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2008, 01:30 »
I'm going to break with my normal pattern here.
The economy is soft.  Jobs are out there, but you have a job now.  If it is truly 3 years ashore, and they're going to give you a $52k bonus, and it gives you time to finish college, and you want to do it, take the deal.
The idea that you can increase your income out here has a lot of merit, but maybe not by as much as you might think.
Put away the calculator for a minute.  Sit on your porch with a cold beer and ask yourself what do you want to do.  Forget the money, just concentrate on what you want.  The answer will become clear, and the money will follow.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:10 »
Put away the calculator for a minute.  Sit on your porch with a cold beer and ask yourself what do you want to do.  Forget the money, just concentrate on what you want.  The answer will become clear, and the money will follow.

Similar to some advice I heard before for making decisions, but I think this one may work better. Flip a coin... when the coin comes down you will likely either feel happy or sad with the result. If happy, stick with it. If sad, ignore the coin... what the hell do they know anyway?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

135i

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2008, 11:00 »

NPTU, at least in NY, is by no means a "deal". Most of that (CPO etc) he wouldn't care about anyway since it's already been stated that he's getting out after his shore tour.
Sounds about right from what I've seen. There are some good EWS who make it but EOOW is really what nails it.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2008, 02:46 »
I suppose that is the big boy question. What do I want to do? Yes...

I was planning on going to college if I didn't stay in so I'd be looking at joining the market 3-4 years anyway. The job hunters have been giving me terrible options at least minor things that aren't interesting to me. (and in the most obscure places) It seems like they just want to clear their list of "hot jobs".

I'm going to spend some quality time here to figure things out. I need to learn all the paths in the nuke industry. Maintenance seems the most comfortable but I don't want to be a full time wrench turning knuckle dragger until I'm 65. Also I'm not picky on location when I get out. Whatever is the best opportunity and offers the most growth will suit me just fine.

Jeff

Something else caught my eye when I re-read this. You mentioned recruiters not giving you good options. I am assuming you are talking about those worthless head hunters, and therefore I agree with you. They aren't going to help you with squat as far as commercial nuke power is concerned. You pretty much have to do the work yourself, if commecial nuke power is something you are interested in. I knew the head hunters were worthless when the first one wanted me to interview for a job starting at 35K. You are in the right place as far as starting on the path to commercial nuke power. You might want to consider the option of going to college later too, as most companies have some sort of tuition assitance programs. Exelon even has a great deal with Excelsior college for their version of the NET degree. There are tons of options to consider.

I also just realized you already made your choice. :) Good luck!

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008, 02:50 by JustinHEMI »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2008, 11:11 »
I'm heavily inclined to agree with Troy.  First consideration HAS to be given to what you really want to do with your LIFE.  If maintenance is your thing, then the PMT/college/$52K and out sounds like a worthy plan.

And in regard to turning wrenches for the rest of your life, if you like maintenance and you really "get it", then you can certainly aspire to become a supervisor/manager/planner/etc. within the Maintenance field (to carry you into your golden years).

Just one guy's thoughts...

Peace,
 - Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

LuckyKid

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:34 »
Only one word needs to be used to sum up the above quote.

Propaganda

Right now Prototype is so hard up for people to go there that at one time(don't know if it is still true) they are offering guys at NNPTC to do a follow on shore duty if they go to prototype.  They are offering waivers out the wazzu just to get guys to go there.  If the CPO selection board was really that hard up on Prototype, they would just about make it a requirement to go there.  As it is, going to prototype as a sea returnee can as much of a career builder as it can be a career breaker.  All depends on timing.  If you get there at the wrong time, it could be 2 years before they put you into EWS quals just because you had to wait in line behind all the other E6s that were there before you that are waiting to go into quals, let alone have enough time to qualify EOOW(which is just about a requirement to make CPO at Prototype).  Get there at the right time and you could easily jump from SIR to EWS to EOOW in under 2 years. 

This man has much knowledge. There will be a shrine, and a band of worshipers with incense who have ceased to shave their armpits and bathe.

If NPTU is the shizzle, why was the Admiral 08 himself here today to have some words at the instructors? I spent all today cleaning anything mildly unsightly (after the previous all day field day yesterday) and ducking into corners anytime the radios of the MA's started to go nuts about his movements.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2008, 02:31 »
An O8 Admiral tour at Proto is no big deal from one to another.

Bowman came to Charleston in 99-00 timeframe when I was a SPU to deliver a you f-in guys speech, training standards, blah, blah, blah.

Then we got a MUC for qualifying so many students in 00.

withroaj

« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2008, 05:17 »
If NPTU is the shizzle, why was the Admiral 08 himself here today to have some words at the instructors? I spent all today cleaning anything mildly unsightly (after the previous all day field day yesterday) and ducking into corners anytime the radios of the MA's started to go nuts about his movements.

Easy there, buckeroo.  Don't pretend for a second that the NPTU instructors suck.  That job is HARD.  One day on your ship you will be qualified senior in rate and get a lowly little nub on board who just can't seem to grasp plant operation and maintenance.  This kid will be your sea pup, and it will become just as much YOUR responsibility to get the kid qualified as it is his/hers.  When said kid falls behind in quals, YOU are dinq, too.  You will have to stick around late to help the kid qualify, and you will still have your regular divisional workload.  Prototype instructors have to deal with that, but they have more students than instructors, and many students require more than a little TLC.  They also have the third and fourth oldest plants in the NNPP to keep running (the rumor is until 2028).  They have multiple Chains of Command (Ops/Training and Maintenance) that all have top-priority assignments for the crews.

As far as cleaning goes, you will clean as long as your shirt is blue (especially when Admirals visit).  Get used to it.  I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in P-type, but don't take it out on the people above you (unless, of course, they did something truly wrong).  I've also got some bad news for you.  The fleet is a LOT like prototype.  You get checkouts, stand U/I watches, and you clean.  You will also get introduced to a wonderful little thing called "collateral duties."  When you qualify fully you will give checkouts, stand watches and clean.  Remember, all you have to do to have a positive attitude about the program is to CHOOSE to have a positive attitude about the program.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Aug 16, 2008, 05:25 »
The fleet is a LOT like prototype.  You get checkouts, stand U/I watches, and you clean.  You will also get introduced to a wonderful little thing called "collateral duties." 

And a special bonus of "Battle stations - missile" or "Fire Fire Fire, Class Bravo Fire" but were asleep through "this is a drill" part...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #27 on: Aug 16, 2008, 10:43 »
I remember that visit...I was there as a student. 

That was after a bunch of enlisted students popped positive for drugs.

Break....

Jason K....What boat and crew were you on?

+K because you used the word "break."  ;D You watching generation kill or something? LOL

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:02 »
An O8 Admiral tour at Proto is no big deal from one to another.

Bowman came to Charleston in 99-00 timeframe when I was a SPU to deliver a you f-in guys speech, training standards, blah, blah, blah.

Then we got a MUC for qualifying so many students in 00.

I was there for the Bowman visit in 99.  I was a student still.  Don't remember much about it other than it was a big event because he was there. 

I was also a Staff Member for the two Donald visits from 03-06.  Never saw the man, but I know we cleaned out keisters off and painted anything that wasn't mobile.  Supposedly he declared us the "premiere prototype with no close second" according to our PMC afterwards.  I wondered why he never addressed the staff guys in forum during his visits. 

The only person I ever addressed from NR was the Master Chief that accompanyied the admiral.  He asked me what I thought of the place.  I gave him the political answer that I was advised would be better than what I initially had in mind. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?