Facility & Company Information > Plum Brook

Plum Brook Per diem scam

<< < (10/10)

Preciousblue1965:
Although I am not familiar with the whole "per diem" concept as far as contractors go and all that, there are some questions that may shed some light on the subject a bit better.

How close were they to the 50 mile limit.  If they were 20 miles, sure no brainer.  But if they were 47 miles, it could be a little more hazy.  Direct line distance might be 47 miles but driving distance could be 51 miles. 

What were they using to measure the distance?  Was it driving distance, staight line distance, Mapquest Distance, Road signs, etc?

While I agree that it they were truly and knowingly defrauding the Government then they should be punished appropriately.  However without having all the facts, I feel we should refrain from judging them horrible people. 

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: Preciousblue1965 on Aug 21, 2008, 10:24 ---Although I am not familiar with the whole "per diem" concept as far as contractors go and all that, there are some questions that may shed some light on the subject a bit better.

How close were they to the 50 mile limit.  If they were 20 miles, sure no brainer.  But if they were 47 miles, it could be a little more hazy.  Direct line distance might be 47 miles but driving distance could be 51 miles. 

What were they using to measure the distance?  Was it driving distance, staight line distance, Mapquest Distance, Road signs, etc?

While I agree that it they were truly and knowingly defrauding the Government then they should be punished appropriately.  However without having all the facts, I feel we should refrain from judging them horrible people. 

--- End quote ---

Per diem is a reimbursement for living expenses while working (and living) away from home. It is tax deductable for companies. It is income for employees that recieve it and do not maintain a residence away from home while working > 50 miles away. Many road techs claim the perdiem, and write off expenses while on the road - many just pretend the perdiem and the expenses don't exist - call it a wash.
For employees that are living in their normal residence, and collecting perdiem, that money is taxed as income. To recieve perdiem while a government contractor, and live in their normal residence the perdiem is fraud, as the government has additional rules regarding the payment of perdiem.
Making a deal with your site supervisor to collect perdiem when not eligible, lays the company open to fraud, loss of contract and ineligibility to bid on future contracts, as company management (the supervisor) was part of the fraud. This affects other employees of that company, as they, being employees of a no-longer-eligible bidder, may find themselves unemployed. And a replacement contractor may be reluctant to hire former employees of a company under fraud investigation until the investigation is complete, to prevent said investigation following said former employees to thier company.
So, it's not just a matter of a mile or two either way. And it may affect more than the people currently being investigated.

They are innocent until proven guilty. But if they are found guilty, I hope that a suitable and compensatory (repayment) punishment is administered.

justatech:

--- Quote from: Preciousblue1965 on Aug 21, 2008, 10:24 ---How close were they to the 50 mile limit.  If they were 20 miles, sure no brainer.  But if they were 47 miles, it could be a little more hazy.  Direct line distance might be 47 miles but driving distance could be 51 miles.  What were they using to measure the distance?  Was it driving distance, straight line distance, Mapquest Distance, Road signs, etc?

--- End quote ---

One guy lives in Sandusky  so it's <10 miles to site -
The others live in Oak Harbor, Ohio per the newspaper to the site in Sandusky, Ohio  Estimated Time: 37 minutes Estimated Distance: 28.65 miles (per Map Quest)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version