Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

Master's degree....worth it?

<< < (2/2)

Dan_E.:

--- Quote from: JassenB on Feb 11, 2004, 05:13 ---Seeking further career guidance. :) I think the best career advice I've ever received has come from here.

I am currently finishing the very last class for my B.S. degree, which Eric Bartlett told me to stay on course and finish. It so happens that was the demand of my wife, as well. :)

Also, since you're reading this, is there any demand at all for contract radiochemists? I have yet to find any open positions in that field listed anywhere.

-Jassen

--- End quote ---

I know it's not contract or power plant (though there is one about 3 road miles away), it's DOE but i thought I would throw it at you for the wage comparison.

http://govs.pnl.gov/asp/ReqDescr/ReqDescr.asp?v_ReqNbr=107152&company=PNL

Take it for whatever you think it's worth, and by the way, Battelle is really big on education and tuition re-imbursement.

moke:
JassenB,

Whatever you do, keep your head to the grindstone because sooner or later you will have your opportunity. Also of importance is the fact that you must ask yourself if you will be ready when the opportunity comes knocking?

If you work really, really work hard while you wait, things will be that much easier. I recommend that you make a decision together with your spouse because you need her support.

I recommend that you keep probing and asking questions here because it will provide a wide range of input regarding a single target. When I first started traveling much of the probing was done by direct dialogue vice the world wide web. Take advantage of it.

Life is like a roller coaster sometime and you must dig deeper to find the strength especially when you are on the incline you are now at.

Goodluck!

Moke

actinium224:
If you go the traditional education route for your MS, then there are graduate assistant positions available.  Depends on the school and there enrollment, though.  This will add about $1000-1200 to your monthly income and you still get the GI Bill money. 
I'll chime in about the original question, since I'm up on the soapbox.  I also went the Navy-TESC path for my BS, but am now attending school full-time.  The knowledge that was required to obtain the BS will seem trivial compared to what is expected from you when you start work on you MS.  If you are interested in learning, then the MS will be less of strain.  If you just count it as another hoop to jump through, then going to work and gaining experience may be the best bet.  Either way, good luck.

alphadude:
the best ticket for all is the MPH masters in public health- this is the highest $$$ you can go- the chemistry thing is ok but kinda limits ya.  the MPH will get you the RPM job or the NIOSH job or the CIH, or the world health org job, or corporate director job-its basically unlimited.  cant do that with a radio chemistry degree. 

the radiochemist job..will get u in a count room at DOE, or plant chemist at a utility.. go MPH, then get the CIH then CHP .

oldnukeworker:
I started nukes in 80.  Worked outages and the road whore thing for ten years.  In 95 I got a on line degree and then a masters.  By 2002 I was a plant manager at a oil plant.  Nobady cares how or where you got it, just get it.  It makes you significantly more marketable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version