Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Get out as enlisted EM2 in 2 yrs or go OCS and out in 5??? honeypot

Author Topic: Get out as enlisted EM2 in 2 yrs or go OCS and out in 5???  (Read 10282 times)

barrylanham

I've read these forums for a long time now and would like to thank everyone as they have been a great help as to what to expect when I get out into the real world. To get to the point, I'm caught in between a rock and hard place. I just earned my BS in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Excelsior with around 2 years left in the Navy. I thought about applying to William and Mary for their MBA program but am now considering OCS. I have been planning on getting out into the commercial world after my 6 year point hoping I would be very marketable with the BSNET and a MBA. Now that I am entertaining the idea of OCS I would like to know what difference a degreed 6 and out, EM2 (possibly EM1 w/another EP) vs. a nuke officer could yield at a real plant. Would higher level jobs be available as an officer or would I still be hired on at an entry level position? I think a NLO would be a great starting position to learn the plant but would I be able to work my way up in 3 years to what I would be hired as if I got out in 5 years as an officer??? I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

JustinHEMI05

This was exactly 5 posts below yours. Not sure how you missed it. Hope it helps. Good luck.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14536.0.html

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008, 10:32 by JustinHEMI »

barrylanham

Being a guy who is serious about my future I'd have spent less time listing my resume and more time using the search function.

Mike

Mike,

I was not trying to "list my resume" as you put it, I was simply trying to get the perspective of people such as yourself. I described my situation in order to provide some background information. I have used the search function many times, and have read many of the threads you have posted on. Therefore, I knew ahead of time to expect this kind of response from you. In all honesty, I enjoy your sarcasm sometimes but I also believe it is not always necessary. I read the topic Justin referenced and I believe my circumstances are somewhat different than those of a nuke coming out of A school thinking about STA-21. I was hoping that maybe someone with your experience would be able to give some advice on the decision I am about to make. Also, does anyone know about what the job outlook at the NRC or DOE is like with regards to enlisted or commissioned nukes? I've looked at the respective forums and rarely find new posts particularly about the jobs. Thanks for any help.

Scott

PapaBear765

Mike,

I was not trying to "list my resume" as you put it, I was simply trying to get the perspective of people such as yourself. I described my situation in order to provide some background information. I have used the search function many times, and have read many of the threads you have posted on. Therefore, I knew ahead of time to expect this kind of response from you. In all honesty, I enjoy your sarcasm sometimes but I also believe it is not always necessary. I read the topic Justin referenced and I believe my circumstances are somewhat different...

I concur.  People complaining about "learn how to use the search engine" are acting like they're somehow obligated to put in the time to answer someone's question free of charge.  No one is, by the way.  These forums are like conversations: you should pay attention to what's been said, extrapolate/interpolate when you can, respect others, etc.  Like a conversation there are times when a question might be asked that may be very similar to previously discussed material but varies slightly and is felt to warrant its own tailored response.

So let's lighten up and stop expecting people to not ask questions that are very similar yet not exactly like previous threads.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

I concur.  People complaining about "learn how to use the search engine" are acting like they're somehow obligated to put in the time to answer someone's question free of charge.  No one is, by the way.  These forums are like conversations: you should pay attention to what's been said, extrapolate/interpolate when you can, respect others, etc.  Like a conversation there are times when a question might be asked that may be very similar to previously discussed material but varies slightly and is felt to warrant its own tailored response.

So let's lighten up and stop expecting people to not ask questions that are very similar yet not exactly like previous threads.

Amen and a right on! 8)

JustinHEMI05

Ok, here is my answer from the previous thread that exactly answers his question. Might as well go soft just like the navy.

Enlisted;
 6 and out, not a crap bag = start at NLO at some plant. About 2 years out, make 100+K/yr. Work your way through the ranks as RO then SRO and beyond. This is by far, the preferred path.
 8-10 and out, qualified EWS >2 years = start at NLO, or get and instant SRO job. If you got your degree all the opportunities for officer apply, which basically adds engineering. You should note that I know 8 and outters with RPI engineering degrees sitting in NLO classes as we speak, because they never qualified EWS. EWS is key to instant SRO as an enlisted guy.
There will also be many other opportunities such as maintenance or radcon if you aren't interested in ops.

Officer;
Start at NLO
or more probably,
Get an instant SRO job
Also Engineering (pay is less) will be another good opportunity.

The industry doesn't really hold JOs and enlisted in any different light, so the question is what do you want to do while you are in the Navy?

In regards to all of this, keep your nose clean, try to excel (AKA resume build) by qualifying anything you can and going to as many schools as possible. Don't be a dirt bag, and gain some good experience. Remember, if you just do the 6 and out, there are lots of you so try to be a step above the rest.

As far as the new plants, it doesn't matter right now if they never even approved another license. Most of the current plants are so short staffed that if you play your cards right, you will get a job anyway.

Good luck!

Justin

PS Another way of putting it;

Enlisted(non EWS 6 and out)/officer(min tour JO) going in as NLO = entry level.

Enlisted(6-10 years with EWS 2 years)/officer(min tour JO) going in as SRO = entry level.

Enlisted(engineering degree)/officer(min tour JO) going into engineering = entry level.

Therefore enlisted = officer(min tour JO) = entry level.

So again, your choice. Do you want saluted and called sir or do you not care about those things?
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008, 01:30 by JustinHEMI »

nuketarded

Now is a good time to get out.  I think business school would also be a good choice.

braveliltoast3r

I have a question for the original poster if I may:  I am a new nuke who just graduated prototype today, and am to report to Virginia for duty at just 3 months shy of my 2-year point.  My question is, how did you go about getting your degree in just 2 years?  I know we get a few credits for our training to a few different schools for a degree in nuclear engineering technology, but I didn't think we were allowed to take any more college credits until after we qualified fully in-rate at sea?  Also, since I'm going to be stationed in Norfolk, is it feasible to attend graduate courses at William and Mary once degreed?  Any information from you or anybody is greatly appreciated; it is a very serious goal of mine to get as much formal education from the Navy as I can. Thanks

withroaj

Yes, my friend.  You can get a degree in very little time, indeed.  I'd strongly recommend qualifying senior-in-rate first (hint -- your command will require it before they will approve Tuition Assistance(TA)).  I'd also recommend making sure your priorities are in order before you attempt to git yer degree while on a ship.  If you like to go out all the time, drink too much, or just play XBOX all day:  fix that before you work on the ol' sheepskin.

The college courses offered in the Navy are mostly online, which sounds easy but takes far more discipline than going to classes (or less, since you don't actually have to go anywhere).  You will spend a LOT of time doing reading and homework, and to balance that with a nuke work load pretty much eliminates free time you may have had.  If you are headed to a submarine don't count on a degree unless you hit an extended availability period in a shipyard (in which you will work A LOT -- N/A for RC Div until the end).  Internet is non-existant at sea on a fast boat.

I don't know about carriers.  Check back with me in about three years on that one.

EDIT:  Remember TA only pays for courses you  PASS!
EDIT AGAIN:  You pay for courses you fail!  And, as a side note:  Wait until you go to sea to re-enlist!  In fact, wait until you are eligible for orders before you re-enlist.  You will make E-5 on your own, and the Navy will still be there for you to stay in when your EAOS draws near.  We all loved it when we showed up, and I'd just hate to have someone re-enlist and hate the job they extended into.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008, 11:36 by withroaj »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Now is a good time to get out.  I think business school would also be a good choice.

Business climate could be a bit lean....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/07/08/cnbridge108.xml

JustinHEMI05

Re: Get out as enlisted EM2 in 2 yrs or go OCS and out in 5???
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:23 »
I have a question for the original poster if I may:  I am a new nuke who just graduated prototype today, and am to report to Virginia for duty at just 3 months shy of my 2-year point.  My question is, how did you go about getting your degree in just 2 years?  I know we get a few credits for our training to a few different schools for a degree in nuclear engineering technology, but I didn't think we were allowed to take any more college credits until after we qualified fully in-rate at sea?  Also, since I'm going to be stationed in Norfolk, is it feasible to attend graduate courses at William and Mary once degreed?  Any information from you or anybody is greatly appreciated; it is a very serious goal of mine to get as much formal education from the Navy as I can. Thanks

The degree he mentioned requires little more than being able to fog a mirror, espescially if you have previous college credit.

Justin

braveliltoast3r

Re: Get out as enlisted EM2 in 2 yrs or go OCS and out in 5???
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:35 »
Thank you very much for your inside advice.  I'm not a party guy and I don't play WOW, so I should be good to go in that regards.  Does anyone have any information about the availability of internet for college courses on an aircraft carrier (after quals, of course)?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?