Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Absentee Ballots

Author Topic: Absentee Ballots  (Read 7010 times)

withroaj

Absentee Ballots
« on: Aug 06, 2008, 01:47 »
I'd like to aplogize first for putting up yet another new thread for the Moderators to dig through.

I know that this might be more of a command question, but I am looking for some inputs from the folks out there about past experiences with absentee ballots while on Active Duty.  This year I have lived at four different addresses so far, and I have already missed one special election in my state (Colorado).  I haven't had this problem in the past because I've had a somewhat permanent address for time spent at previous commands (at least long enough to cover election cycles).

Any of you fellers have issues with your absentee ballots in the past?

Also -- for the folks just joining the Navy:  you should probably register to vote.  A voting booth is a great place to gripe about issues with the government.  Do your homework, too.  Rock stars might be exciting and inspirational, but it helps to know what they're going to do with you (I'm not making a reference to any political candidate here ;) ).  It might also help to know who represents your Congressional district and what they will do for/against you (less than 10% congressional approval rating will still yield greater than 80% incumbency this season).   Doesn't make much sense to raise your hand and swear to defend a system you don't participate in...

Visit http://www.fvap.gov/ to get started.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Absentee Ballots
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2008, 03:56 »
As a moderator (OK, not this section's moderator, but I think I speak for the rest) I want to tell you to post away. Start new topics as you see the need for them. That is exactly why this site is here -- to disseminate and gather information valuable to nukeworkers, Navy or commercial.

If you create a thread in the wrong place we will move it (and probably provide some painless coaching.) If you create threads that are inappropriate (I can't see that happening) we will let you know. When (if) things get out of hand we will take control as necessary. Follow the Forum rules and go to town.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2008, 03:57 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2008, 05:38 »
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2008, 05:39 by withroaj »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2008, 11:26 »
Has your Home of Record changed since you joined the Navy?

Regardless of where I physically lived during any given election, I always voted in the state/county/city of my permanent Home of Record.  So, as far as voter registration goes, my address never changed the whole time I was in the Navy.  The flip side of this however, was that I could never vote in the 'local' elections wherever I was stationed - because I always maintained by registration as a voter in my original home state.

(P.S.  If your Home of Record has changed since you joined the Navy, then I'm in over my head on this topic, and I shall promptly hush up and wade back over into the shallow end of the kiddie pool.   ;D)
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2008, 05:45 »

(P.S.  If your Home of Record has changed since you joined the Navy, then I'm in over my head on this topic, and I shall promptly hush up and wade back over into the shallow end of the kiddie pool.   ;D)
I changed my home of record to Florida in 1990.  Registering to vote in Florida was part of the requirements to change my residency.  I have been getting absentee ballots at every place I've lived since (HI, SC, & CT).  I just notify my county clerk via phone and they send me what I need to re-register.  I even get local (Orlando/Orange county) ballots some years though you can opt out of them.  I get mail and even occasional phone calls from the candidates.  Hope this helps.

Derek
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2008, 07:10 »
...  Hope this helps.

Derek

Absolutely.  I appreciate it.

withroaj

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2008, 09:39 »
And when you do get your absentee ballot in the mail.....

Remember....

I have to say that I am a bit of a crazy redneck, so I will have to watch polling in CO to decide whether to vote Libertarian.  If it is a swing state I go McCain.  If solid for either major party candidate I go Bob Barr.  I wouldn't want to sabotage the electoral process and lose a potential McCain majority in my state, but if either guy has a lock on Colorado (normally a Red State, but iffy this year -- damn California transplants :P) I would like to help get a third party in the game for 2012.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2008, 09:41 by withroaj »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2008, 01:25 »
Never let your federal vote be uncounted again:
http://www.fvap.gov/uniformed-service-members/index.html

This was a response partially to my complaint to my congressman for missing an election due to the AL time limits for an absentee ballot.
Just make sure you get a post-mark on it, in case Al Gore sends lawyers AGAIN to weed out absentee ballots sitting in the country on election day that never got post-marked invalidated.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2008, 01:38 »
I have to say that I am a bit of a crazy redneck, so I will have to watch polling in CO to decide whether to vote Libertarian.  If it is a swing state I go McCain.  If solid for either major party candidate I go Bob Barr.  I wouldn't want to sabotage the electoral process and lose a potential McCain majority in my state, but if either guy has a lock on Colorado (normally a Red State, but iffy this year -- damn California transplants :P) I would like to help get a third party in the game for 2012.

Both the Presidential election, and your local northern CO Congressperson's race are going to be too close to call in this election.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2008, 01:38 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?