Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy subs and nukes? honeypot

Author Topic: Navy subs and nukes?  (Read 19976 times)

mdulleck

Navy subs and nukes?
« on: Jul 14, 2008, 05:29 »
Hello everyone, I recently came across ur forum while doing some research on the navy nuke programs and general nuke jobs and hope u can answer some of my questions,

1. I am 28 years old and have read the age limit for nuke program is 25, I realize there is a waiver for everything, but do u have any knowledge of any one getting in at my age.

2. I have read that u volunteer to go subs, in ur experience do they pretty much give u this or do they use the needs of navy rule and send a lot to the surface fleet.

3. In I'd experience do civilian nuke reactors hire mostly navy nukes or do they also hire a lot of 2 year technical nuke graduates.

Some additional background, I was in AF , crew chief on U-2 for 1- 1/2 years, general discharge in 2001, got a 89 on asvab, I don't think navy would have a problem in general enlisting me according to my reenlistment code, any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Navy subs and nukes?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2008, 06:26 »
As far as your eligibility you will have to talk to a recruiter. I knew a guy that came in around 28 years old. So its possible.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2008, 08:04 »
Hello everyone, I recently came across ur forum while doing some research on the navy nuke programs and general nuke jobs and hope u can answer some of my questions,

1. I am 28 years old and have read the age limit for nuke program is 25, I realize there is a waiver for everything, but do u have any knowledge of any one getting in at my age.

2. I have read that u volunteer to go subs, in ur experience do they pretty much give u this or do they use the needs of navy rule and send a lot to the surface fleet.

3. In I'd experience do civilian nuke reactors hire mostly navy nukes or do they also hire a lot of 2 year technical nuke graduates.

Some additional background, I was in AF , crew chief on U-2 for 1- 1/2 years, general discharge in 2001, got a 89 on asvab, I don't think navy would have a problem in general enlisting me according to my reenlistment code, any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

If you have a 2 year technical degree, you qualify to be an NLO in the Exelon corporation. Good news is that they try to hire a mix of navy nukes and off the street folks. If you want more info, let me know. But, based on your age, I think direct hiring into a nuke plant is the best way to go for you.

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2008, 06:58 »
For someone so serious about their career you should spend less time listing your resume and learning how to use the search engine.

Couldn't help it.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2008, 09:20 »
For someone so serious about their career you should spend less time listing your resume and learning how to use the search engine.

Couldn't help it.

;D ;D ;D Classic!

mdulleck

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2008, 08:31 »
papabear , it appears that u had a bad day. In the time it took u to reply to my post u probably could have answered my questions. U also act as if the same question is asked on a forum its a big mistake, I think it gives new members a chance to give their input to a ? that may have been posted 2-3 years ago, things might have changed new information might be available , plus if u hadn't noticed search functions are not exactly like hal, i have searched this site and found plenty of useful information but I had a few specific ? I thought u might be able to answer, maybe if u were as serious about ur profession as someone like Justin, u would be willing to help someone who shows an interest  instead of posting "classic" comments.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:00 »
papabear , it appears that u had a bad day. In the time it took u to reply to my post u probably could have answered my questions. U also act as if the same question is asked on a forum its a big mistake, I think it gives new members a chance to give their input to a ? that may have been posted 2-3 years ago, things might have changed new information might be available , plus if u hadn't noticed search functions are not exactly like hal, i have searched this site and found plenty of useful information but I had a few specific ? I thought u might be able to answer, maybe if u were as serious about ur profession as someone like Justin, u would be willing to help someone who shows an interest  instead of posting "classic" comments.
And maybe if you learned how to freakin spell, we would all take you seriously enough to help... ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:19 »
Add maybe if you learned how to freakin spell, we would all take you seriously enough to help... ;)

I'm glad someone put that out there.  Thanks, HouseDad.  I always figured that when every other post on the Forum spelled out the word 'you' that, well, "when in Rome."

mdulleck - in your time in the AF you had to face the FNG treatment from time to time.  An honest, innocent question had to have been shot down with "that's your lookup."  Jump in with the mosquito bitten, malaria ridden salts of the seven seas (Order of the Ditch, yall), and you'll get hazed a bit.  Roll with the punches, friend.

As far as your 'old guy' waiver, I'm sure the Navy would love to have you.  I had a guy in my Power School class five years ago that was 34 years old (the absolute oldest you can be to enlist).  We need people, and you sound willing and able.  Just remember that l337 5p34k d035n't r3411y 4pp1y 1n teh pr0gr4mz n00bz, and that for some reason you have to earn ego in the NNPP.  People will probably only make fun of you for Air Force time, and the NCO status of an E5 doesn't really fly with Navy Nukes.  Everyone is an E5.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:24 »

+Karma. :) Just weigh your options. The Navy will take you, but then again, so will probably just about any nuke plant. So you are talking starting in the 60s vs whatever the Navy will start you at... 20s? maybe?

Justin

PS On my crew there is an NLO who was a former AF ordinance person.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 10:24 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:26 »
and the NCO status of an E5 doesn't really fly with Navy Nukes.  Everyone is an E5.

What does this mean?

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:32 »
What does this mean?

Justin

My pals in the other services (mainly Army and Marines -- I am the coward from the kids back home) tell me that I would have people working under me as an E5 in their line of work (the Non-Commissioned Officer ranks start around E5).  Just about every nuke I know is a second class (except E-Div, and my heart goes out to them for the stagnant advancement they face right now).  The poo-hot Second Classes have people working for them on a small scale (I don't know about Surface) , but that works out more as a recognition of the leader's studliness and less as a result of rank.

EDIT:  Justin, I'm glad you questioned me on that one.  I re-read what I posted earlier and it comes off as pretty condescending.  I didn't mean it that way.  I'm all about new people in the program, especially those with an idea of how the military works and not just the NNPP.  As far as ego being earned here, from time to time it comes more as a result of tenure than of natural ability.  If you are new in the game and you have the right answer while the "senior" guy has the wrong one, people will think you are getting too big for your britches.  That's not always a good thing, and can sometimes lead to unwarranted social rejection for speaking up. 

How much further can I back down from my own statement and feel I left it intact?  I am embarrased.

Alex
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 10:41 by withroaj »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:59 »
My pals in the other services (mainly Army and Marines -- I am the coward from the kids back home) tell me that I would have people working under me as an E5 in their line of work (the Non-Commissioned Officer ranks start around E5).  Just about every nuke I know is a second class (except E-Div, and my heart goes out to them for the stagnant advancement they face right now).  The poo-hot Second Classes have people working for them on a small scale (I don't know about Surface) , but that works out more as a recognition of the leader's studliness and less as a result of rank.

EDIT:  Justin, I'm glad you questioned me on that one.  I re-read what I posted earlier and it comes off as pretty condescending.  I didn't mean it that way.  I'm all about new people in the program, especially those with an idea of how the military works and not just the NNPP.  As far as ego being earned here, from time to time it comes more as a result of tenure than of natural ability.  If you are new in the game and you have the right answer while the "senior" guy has the wrong one, people will think you are getting too big for your britches.  That's not always a good thing, and can sometimes lead to unwarranted social rejection for speaking up. 

How much further can I back down from my own statement and feel I left it intact?  I am embarrased.

Alex

haha I was just curious as to what sparked it, because I didn't see anything he said about being an NCO or ego or anything like that. Was just curious as to why you felt the need to point that stuff out? Don't sweat it. :)

You are 100% right though, and as discussed in another thread, NCO status in the Navy vs the other branches is wildly different. I submit, that in the Navy Nuke world... a blue shirt is a blue shirt is a blue shirt. In the end and all things being equal, it doesn't matter how many stripes you have on your sleeve... in the Navy Nuke world.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 11:00 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:13 »

Learn to spell
Learn to present yourself as you want to be seen, in this case as a professional.
Do not assume your question is any different, researching is a requirement in our industry. Learn to do it.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:14 »
You are 100% right though, and as discussed in another thread, NCO status in the Navy vs the other branches is wildly different. I submit, that in the Navy Nuke world... a blue shirt is a blue shirt is a blue shirt. In the end and all things being equal, it doesn't matter how many stripes you have on your sleeve... in the Navy Nuke world.

Very true.  I served on two different sub tenders as an E-6, and in both cases about 2/3rds of the division there was (you guessed it) E-6.  Wearing three chevrons just made you another face in the crowd there...  I understand that in the Marines & Army, some E-6's actually give orders and make life/death decisions; in R-5 Division aboard a tender, an E-6 is lucky if he gets to decide which paint brush he's going to use that day...
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2008, 08:38 »

I think you missed the humor of the post, but then again maybe I just dont know salty sarcasm when I see it no mo'.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2008, 08:46 »

1.  Yes.  I had guy in my A school class who was your age.  He was a college graduate with lots of student loan debt and it held him up for Power School.

2.  This is a real no ******!  Two guys were offered ELT school but they had to volunteer subs in order to get picked up.  Their wish list was essentially carrier, carrier, San Diego, Everett, West Coast.  So the day orders come these two guys get fast attacks in Norfolk and Groton.  Two other sub vols (who were Sub vols since A boot camp) get the PCU Regan and eventual homeport of San Diego.

But yes it is all voluntary.

3.  Civilian nukes hire from all walks of life.  If that is your ultimate goal, why not just skip the middle man (USN) and apply at your local nuke plant?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2008, 09:02 »

3.  Civilian nukes hire from all walks of life.  If that is your ultimate goal, why not just skip the middle man (USN) and apply at your local nuke plant?

Thats what I am sayin. At his age, why bother with the Navy? All of his "peers" are going to be way younger than him anyway.

Justin

mdulleck

« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:32 »
well I have to say the nuke community seems to be vibrant and interesting for sure. I appreciate all ur replies and thank you. Please forgive my spelling( I an typing on my iPhones 3 inch keyboard with my thumbs so I've gotten used to making shortcuts where possible, even if in the end it reads like baby talk).
I guess the reason why I would consider joining the navy is partly because even though when I look back at my time in the AF I say man that sucked and this sucked( and from what I've read AF suck is like a fraction of sub suck) there is no question that the friendships I had there and the comraderie( spelled wrong?) was unequalled to anywhere else I've been, also the navy kinda seems sort of romantic and alluring patrolling the 7 seas at 100 fathoms, most likely this feeling fades and it seems more like a sunken death camp but I don't know maybe not.  Anyways, maybe some day soon I'll be a "real" member of this forum, not just a wannabe. Many thanks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:07 »

Or you can just learn to say "thank you" to those that take the time to give you advice based on experience, even if it isn't in the sugary Count Chocula flavor for which you had hoped. Ever stop to think the senior enlisteds in the very same Nuke program that you seek might just be harsher than the Forum posters here?
  When you are senior in-rate qual'd with a Sea Service ribbon, then come on back and tell us how to write our replies...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:12 »
  Just remember that l337 5p34k d035n't r3411y 4pp1y 1n teh pr0gr4mz n00bz, .

You mean they didn't rewrite the 0288 manual in Myspace-eze? ;)

withroaj

« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:50 »

...also the navy kinda seems sort of romantic and alluring patrolling the 7 seas at 100 fathoms, most likely this feeling fades and it seems more like a sunken death camp but I don't know maybe not...

Oh, yes, my friend.  It's romantic, all right.  Balls around every corner.

I do have to admit, though, that I haven't seen much in my life that even comes close to the experience of being on the bridge of a submarine approaching Oahu, or on surface transit in open water.  Looking down at the little "war pickle" and knowing that you sleep like a baby X feet under water is pretty mind numbing.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2008, 11:24 by withroaj »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:43 »
Ok, I think thats just about enough of over dramatization of life on the seas.  ;D

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2008, 05:29 »
Aww, come on. You know that during your time in you saw a few Navy-unique things (not all latent homoeroticism) that blew your mind.  You also have some boat specific memories in the ol' noggin that, when described in vague enough terms, make you get all nostalgic and appreciate the fact you went Navy and not just directly into the Nuke industry.  You also did a follow-on tour at the proto-pal that brought you more wonderful Navy memories, right?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2008, 07:58 »
Aww, come on. You know that during your time in you saw a few Navy-unique things (not all latent homoeroticism) that blew your mind.  You also have some boat specific memories in the ol' noggin that, when described in vague enough terms, make you get all nostalgic and appreciate the fact you went Navy and not just directly into the Nuke industry.  You also did a follow-on tour at the proto-pal that brought you more wonderful Navy memories, right?

Uh, but I don't get all teary eyed about it. :)

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2008, 08:19 »
I do!!

Every time I realize I don't have to salute some zero who can't fathom righty tighty lefty loosey anymore, and haven't had to for 20+ years,....

tears of joy,... ;D

Point taken. I'll be sure not to get any in my beer.  ;D

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:24 »
I do have to admit, though, that I haven't seen much in my life that even comes close to the experience of being on the bridge of a submarine approaching Oahu, or on surface transit in open water. 

Or being in a minor collision at sea off Oahu, and bazillions on flying fish playing in the ship's bowwake in a warm, muggy sunset with pink and salmon hues of a becalmed western Pacific...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?