Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Here Comes the Future!
honeypot

Author Topic: Here Comes the Future!  (Read 11061 times)

RAD-GHOST

Here Comes the Future!
« on: Jul 17, 2008, 04:41 »
Better late, then never!

I believe the members of Nukeworker need to wish a warm welcome to the future of the Health Physics Industry!  Overall the program looks like a very sweet deal.  Out of the gates their being offered between $12 - $15/hr, plus housing!  That doesn't sound to far below the standard 20 year Senior Contractor Package!  All but one decided to accept an assignment at the local utilities nuclear facility, what the Hell was he/she thinking?     :'(

I've seen several questions pertaining to HP training programs and it seems that at least one of the Pay-Per-view venues has provided some validity, with genuine support by a Utility!  $24K to $30K isn't a bad starting point and any degree is worth the effort and investment.  Besides, you never know who's looking in on these threads for a future source of technically trained manpower!

Easy on the comments boys!       

http://www.gaffneyledger.com/news/2008/0514/front_page/001.html

Have a Great Day....RG!
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008, 04:43 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: Here Comes the Future!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008, 08:19 »
I remember when they were getting this started. Good for them and good luck to the students.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

shovelheadred

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:35 »
... sounds like that core bunch better start lookin for a road job....That community college did the same thing in the 70's for Duke with a welding class and electrical...so did Aiken tech...CFCC...this is nothing new in this business, just a different school providing techs directly for Duke...if you have ever worked Duke, you know they have used their own labor since Bad Creek was completed in the 90's, plus teamed with B&W/AREVA/Framatone....I enjoyed a good ride with Duke from 87-94, made some good money and alot of friends..sounds like a good deal to me, and a good way to enter a business that has provided all of us with as much money as we wanted to make...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2008, 08:05 »
more juniors to squeeze da seniors in a cupla years.  like shovelheadred sez, it ain't nutting knew.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

duke99301

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2008, 12:33 »
very good very good we need  more grads in the field good luck to them

Melrose

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2008, 11:13 »
Wonder how much money thay laid down to enter the junior world?  :-\
Sounds like another scenario from a couple of decades ago....

good luck

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2008, 12:14 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:34 »
Same scenario, different decade? 

As most of us know, the nuclear high schools closed their doors in the 90's.  The available educational venues since then, where either a big ticket collage, or unsupported technician program; usually Web based and unrecognized in the industry.  Looks like the locals have to spend about 6K to get them through the initial qualifying portion of the program and probably another 6K to finish out the associated degree.  South Carolina also has the educational finance assistance program via the lottery, current reimbursement of about $75.00 per credit hour, if you qualify.  It's not hard to qualify, but you have to be a SC resident and you DON"T has to play the lottery!

Hummm....All the students received intern offers after they graduated the initial training, what a RIP OFF!  Since their starting salaries are at least 50% higher then the current minimum wage, (I think everybody starts at LESS than minimum wage in SC), their initial investment is little more then pocket change!  I also heard that many of the students worked part time, during shutdowns, while they attended the program.

I agree, nothing new, but it's the first time, in a very long time, that ANY utility or company invested a dime in the Health Physics industry, (at an apprentice level), and actually committed with a follow through!  Normally a company will toss a couple of bucks at a program for marquee privileges, then mysteriously vanish when the resources actually knock on the door!  (Sorry for my lack of political polish)!

I'd like to see a couple of these Newbie’s chime in and fill in the details.  Hopefully they haven't been banded from chatting with us Grumpy Old Opinionated Bastards!

RG........... 8)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2008, 11:18 »
Same scenario, different decade? 

As most of us know, the nuclear high schools closed their doors in the 90's.  The available educational venues since then, where either a big ticket collage, or unsupported technician program; usually Web based and unrecognized in the industry.  Looks like the locals have to spend about 6K to get them through the initial qualifying portion of the program and probably another 6K to finish out the associated degree.  South Carolina also has the educational finance assistance program via the lottery, current reimbursement of about $75.00 per credit hour, if you qualify.  It's not hard to qualify, but you have to be a SC resident and you DON"T has to play the lottery!

Hummm....All the students received intern offers after they graduated the initial training, what a RIP OFF!  Since their starting salaries are at least 50% higher then the current minimum wage, (I think everybody starts at LESS than minimum wage in SC), their initial investment is little more then pocket change!  I also heard that many of the students worked part time, during shutdowns, while they attended the program.

I agree, nothing new, but it's the first time, in a very long time, that ANY utility or company invested a dime in the Health Physics industry, (at an apprentice level), and actually committed with a follow through!  Normally a company will toss a couple of bucks at a program for marquee privileges, then mysteriously vanish when the resources actually knock on the door!  (Sorry for my lack of political polish)!

I'd like to see a couple of these Newbie’s chime in and fill in the details.  Hopefully they haven't been banded from chatting with us Grumpy Old Opinionated Bastards!

RG........... 8)

The SC Lottery is hard to quality for, sorry not only do you have to meet certain grade standards; and while it is not based on income IF you have a student loan or pell grant then that money is used first... in other words IF you take out either of these then you will NOT get the Lottery money.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2008, 11:57 »
For those of you who are interested, Aiken Tech. College is offering a certificate program this fall in Radiological Control.  This will soon turn into an associates degree in nuclear engineering.  Also in the plans is an agreement with South Carolina State University to offer a bachelors degree in nuclear engineering where SC State will come to Aiken Tech and teach the courses.  For more information you can contact Dr. Tracy Pierner at piernert@atc.edu

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2008, 03:57 »
Camella,

Those Bastards! 

They want you to maintain a respectable GPA! 

You already took out a student loan and they want you to use it first!

UNBELIEVABLE! 

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2008, 04:13 »
johnnieslingshot,

Great Information!

RG........... ;D

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2008, 08:58 »
Here comes another one for you.  Chattanooga State is starting back up their A.S. in Nuclear Technology for Radiation Protection in the fall of 08'.  It used to be a feeder for TVA back in the early 80's.  I think the reason they are reopening the program is TVA was in the middle of putting back together their old training program.  If anyone has been keeping up with TVA, you'll know they were hiring for positions at all three sites and then "suddenly" they dropped the Watts Bar and Sequoyah allotments for the training program.  I guess facts are that Chatt St. makes money (tuition) and TVA doesn't have to resurrect the dead (training program) and pay salary to personnel in training.  Sequoyah recognizes the program as formal education along with TVA HP program and the Navy Nuc ELT and Navships 0153 (Radcon). A billboard on Hixson Pike is advertising the program and stating starting salaries at $50k and up.  Here's the link for anybody interested in the area;  http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/engineering/enradprot.asp
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?