Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A-School/NPS honeypot

Author Topic: A-School/NPS  (Read 19918 times)

IsraelL

A-School/NPS
« on: Jul 19, 2008, 12:41 »
I understand that if you're 21+, then you're allowed to drink [after the first month or so of A-school, anyway]. I was wondering, does this mean you're allowed to have alcohol in your room, or just that you're allowed to go out and drink? Given that many of the people in nuke school are under 21, I could see how alcohol in the dorms could lead to problems....It's no a big deal either way, but I find that my stress levels go way down when I'm able to just sit and have a nice glass of wine at the end of the day.

justatech

Re: A-School/NPS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2008, 01:13 »
Given that many of the people in nuke school are under 21, I could see how alcohol in the dorms could lead to problems....It's no a big deal either way, but I find that my stress levels go way down when I'm able to just sit and have a nice glass of wine at the end of the day

It might be a problem for you if you furnish the alcohol to "minors" they may frown on the fact you've "broken the law." Not sure what your responsibility level would be if buddies just borrowed some wine - I would check with your CO. It is easier to have a glass of something after a hard day and prior to studying but they may not allow it in your dorm however it would be easier just to have one and study verses going to the bar with friends and trying to get out at a reasonable time to study and yes that is experience talking - too many early mornings with red eyes LOL.....

With that being said - you'll note I quoted specific words - personally I think if you guys have signed up and are in - you're not minors but adults and soldiers and should be treated as such. Yes, I know I just wondered off topic a bit and this may be another conversation entirely....so I will crawl off to my corner and lick my paws......LOL     :P

IsraelL

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2008, 01:27 »
With that being said - you'll note I quoted specific words - personally I think if you guys have signed up and are in - you're not minors but adults and soldiers and should be treated as such. Yes, I know I just wondered off topic a bit and this may be another conversation entirely....so I will crawl off to my corner and lick my paws......LOL     :P

I actually agree with you 100%. I've always thought that it's rediculous to have different age requirement for alcohol and military service. Its like, ok, you're mature enough to decide to go into battle and possibly die for your country, but apparently the descision to have a beer is one that you're just not responsible enough to make yet.

Even so, I'm not about to supply alcohol to minors. Their enjoyment isn't worth my ass in the frying pan.

It is easier to have a glass of something after a hard day and prior to studying but they may not allow it in your dorm however it would be easier just to have one and study verses going to the bar with friends and trying to get out at a reasonable time
Yeah, it's easier, but the main reson I would want to keep a few bottles in my dorm is that I'm picky about what I drink. Currently, I have a really high standard of eating and drinking. I can do without good food or good wine for a while, but giving up both is going to be pretty rough. [yes, I know thats whats going to happen when I get put on a ship, I've made my peace with that.]
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2008, 01:36 by IsraelL »

justatech

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2008, 01:45 »
Yeah, it's easier, but the main reason I would want to keep a few bottles in my dorm is that I'm picky about what I drink. Currently, I have a really high standard of eating and drinking. I can do without good food or good wine for a while, but giving up both is going to be pretty rough. [yes, I know thats whats going to happen when I get put on a ship, I've made my peace with that.]

Me too........have you tried a good Riesling lately? Try Schmitt Sohne, Qualitatswein from Germany (are you ready for this - it's in a COBALT BLUE bottle..... ;D ) It's about $18 - $20 a bottle - very crisp! You're right - you won't get this on a ship - enjoy it while you can..............and Thank You for your service.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2008, 02:13 »
It's been many years since I was at NNPTC but if I remember corectly no alcohol is allowed in the student barracks. If you are married and have base housing thats another story. DO NOT under ANY circumstances give alcohol to your under 21 classmates (or anyone under 21 for that matter) the command will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

floyd_n

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2008, 02:55 »
Alcohol is still not allowed in barracks, neither are members of the opposite sex. Violating either earns you a talk with the Capt. who will typically award you with -1 pay grade and restriction. At least thats how it was with the last CO, they have a new one now who might be a little more lax on these matters.

IsraelL

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2008, 06:59 »
huh. I had a feeling that would be the case. I was hoping those over 21 would be trusted to be responsible about it... but since you're still a student at that point [and surrounded by minors], its understandable, I suppose... ::)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2008, 07:41 »
huh. I had a feeling that would be the case. I was hoping those over 21 would be trusted to be responsible about it... but since you're still a student at that point [and surrounded by minors], its understandable, I suppose... ::)

the other problem is the odds are you will have an under 21 roommate for at least one phase of training

withroaj

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2008, 10:58 »
You know, SC has legislation in the works to legalize drinking for all active duty. Wonder how that will work out.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2008, 11:51 »
You know, SC has legislation in the works to legalize drinking for all active duty. Wonder how that will work out.

Thats intresting. However all the CO of NNPTC would need to do is issue a standing order to the affect that student drinking under the age of 21 is still illegal and the command can still charge them under article 92 failure to obey a lawful order. Since I can remeber that being among the list of charges that under age drinkers where charged with the state law would be kinda a moot point.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2008, 07:40 »
However all the CO of NNPTC would need to do is issue a standing order to the affect that student drinking under the age of 21 is still illegal and the command can still charge them under article 92 failure to obey a lawful order.

Commands cannot do that.  The school staff would need to find other ways do deal with the challenge.

JB

IsraelL

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2008, 10:58 »
While we're on the topic of A-school/NPS, does anyone know the approximate measurements of the closet space [or wherever you put your clothes if no actual closets]? I get the feeling I'm going to have to get rid of half the stuff in my closet or invest in one of those vacuum packers for clothes [I wonder if those things actually work?].

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2008, 11:06 »
While we're on the topic of A-school/NPS, does anyone know the approximate measurements of the closet space [or wherever you put your clothes if no actual closets]? I get the feeling I'm going to have to get rid of half the stuff in my closet or invest in one of those vacuum packers for clothes [I wonder if those things actually work?].

The closets will hold everything issued to you at RTC, including dress and working uniforms. Including the seabag, if folded neatly.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2008, 04:49 »
Commands cannot do that.  The school staff would need to find other ways do deal with the challenge.

JB

As far as what the command can legaly do I don't know. But I do remember that on my last deployment the CO issued an order that no one was allowed to do shots. I have seen many instances where the command passed rules prohibiting you participating in perfectly legal activites.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2008, 09:32 »
As far as what the command can legaly do I don't know. But I do remember that on my last deployment the CO issued an order that no one was allowed to do shots. I have seen many instances where the command passed rules prohibiting you participating in perfectly legal activites.

That he can do.  As SOPA on deployment the Senior Officer is given latitude to enforce controls, that they cannot do stateside.  The SOPA does have to answer to higher authority if the controls are too far out of the box.  Good point.

withroaj

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2008, 08:44 »
That he can do.  As SOPA on deployment the Senior Officer is given latitude to enforce controls, that they cannot do stateside.  The SOPA does have to answer to higher authority if the controls are too far out of the box.  Good point.

For some reason I don't know that preventing stressed out kids from drinking is out of the box at all.

AmericanPride

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2008, 10:11 »
Its not worth the trouble in A school / NNPS. Its possible to have alcohol in the room if all room mates are over 21 but be warned that the instant someone under 21 is caught drinking in your room; you'll probably be on the other side of a green covered table from the CO. I would lock it up if you wanted to keep some wine around.

Now in NNPTU you are out on your own and no more surprise barracks inspections.

At your first command, they normally put 21+ together in rooms but if they don't it for whatever reason, you're not allowed to have alcohol in the same room.

Side story... I had the barracks room to myself for almost a year out in Pearl. We arrived back from deployment and I was eager to crash in my room. After shutting down I speed walk to the barracks (only good thing about the barracks was the quick 2 min walk to work) to discover they put a new guy in my room. Talk about being pissed. Furthermore, he was under 21 so the barracks Nazis took my beer and bottle of whiskey out of the room. Needless to say they didn't have my stuff when I talked to the barracks POs.  >:(

Anyway, unless you're out on your own the military hammer can still fall on you. Just be smart about it.

IsraelL

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2008, 02:00 »

At your first command, they normally put 21+ together in rooms but if they don't it for whatever reason, you're not allowed to have alcohol in the same room.

But you have a private bedroom, right? Not that I'm one to be drinking alone in my room, but it would be nice to know I can keep something locked up for "emergency use".

Motown homey

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2008, 02:19 »
But you have a private bedroom, right? Not that I'm one to be drinking alone in my room, but it would be nice to know I can keep something locked up for "emergency use".

A private bedroom?  I've been out a few decades, but I had a bunk bed in a room with three other sailors when I first got to "A" School.  After a couple of weeks they moved me into a room with only one roomate and we had our own beds and desks.  Alcohol wasn't a problem, just don't leave it out during room inspections.

withroaj

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2008, 02:19 »
In A School it's two guys to a room/ four to a suite with a shared bathroom; power school its one to a room/ two to a suite. On Das Boot (great movie, by the way) you will have two to a room (sub barracks) or you will live on the ship (carrier) until you reach E5 and/or four years, after which you will be allowed to live off base and recieve BAH.  Unless you intend to apply for the Junior Staff Instructor position in prototype, be careful how much material stuff you amass.

IsraelL

« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2008, 02:31 »
In A School it's two guys to a room/ four to a suite with a shared bathroom; power school its one to a room/ two to a suite. On Das Boot (great movie, by the way) you will have two to a room (sub barracks) or you will live on the ship (carrier) until you reach E5 and/or four years, after which you will be allowed to live off base and recieve BAH.  Unless you intend to apply for the Junior Staff Instructor position in prototype, be careful how much material stuff you amass.

Oh, I was talking about after a school. AmericanPride said "at your first command...". I was referring to that.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 02:33 by IsraelL »

withroaj

« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2008, 03:34 »
Well that would be Das Boot, my friend. 

IsraelL

« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:13 »
Well that would be Das Boot, my friend. 

You have to volunteer for sub duty though, right? I'm sure there are reasons why someone would want to be on a sub, but personally, I have no interest in it. Something about not seeing the sky for that long is a little unsettling to me.

withroaj

« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:23 »
If you head to a carrier, you will live in berthing on the ship until E5 or four years service (or you can get a bunch of roommates to chip in, but no housing allowance).

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:26 »
Well welcome to the "needs of the Navy" section of your inquiries.  I could be wrong on this, but you could be volunteered for sub duty.  All you have to do is be medically qualified.  However if that is not the case, the Navy has ways of "convincing" you that you want to volunteer for subs.  Usually it is coupled with "you can go subs and get XXXXX boat out of Pearl that is going to be in the yards for over a year, or you can go to the Prise who deploys next week for an undeterminant amount of time.  Your choice."  I got lucky in that I put in for a sub out of San Diego, then Pearl, then got a Carrier out of San Diego and couldn't have been happier.  Each community has its perks and pits. I am sure that use of the search feature will yield an almost infinite amount of information on that topic.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2008, 06:38 »
Well welcome to the "needs of the Navy" section of your inquiries.  I could be wrong on this, but you could be volunteered for sub duty.  All you have to do is be medically qualified.  However if that is not the case, the Navy has ways of "convincing" you that you want to volunteer for subs.  Usually it is coupled with "you can go subs and get XXXXX boat out of Pearl that is going to be in the yards for over a year, or you can go to the Prise who deploys next week for an undeterminant amount of time.  Your choice."  I got lucky in that I put in for a sub out of San Diego, then Pearl, then got a Carrier out of San Diego and couldn't have been happier.  Each community has its perks and pits. I am sure that use of the search feature will yield an almost infinite amount of information on that topic.

You are in fact wrong.  Submarine service is completely voluntary.  You can still volunteer subs and get surface (that was the case for me in my enlisted days), but you cannot get subs unless you specifically volunteer for it. 

And as far as your assertion that the navy has ways of making you volunteer....that is BS also.  As a nub out of prototype, you won't talk to the detailer at all in regards to orders. 

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008, 06:42 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Jul 23, 2008, 06:34 »
I stand corrected. 

However I have known a few cases in which a guy wanted to get ELT who hadn't volunteered for Subs that they told him "Sorry but if you want ELT you will have to go subs."  This guy was a SPU in Chucktown and a first class when he left.  So this is some "convincing" in the way of what you really want more, ELT or carrier life(I think it had something to do with the volume of female ELTs that were already accepted and the fact they can't volunteer for subs).
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2008, 06:41 by Preciousblue1965 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2008, 12:29 »
That is funny, when they asked me to put in for ELT, I said no. But, I really wanted subs and at that time, a large portion of my class was heading off to the Big E. So, I told them to guarantee me subs and I would take ELT. So I guess it was kind of reverse, even if their guarantee meant nothing. :)

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:54 »
About the drinking thing...

In late 80's, San Diego (ships not NTC) allowed sailors to drink in the EM Club if 19 or older.  This was to keep people from scooting down to TJ.  Many sailors were getting drunk and knifed and such.  The CO took heat from the City and County--but didn't give a rat's rear.

I was on a ship that outlawed shots--more aimed at the XO, though.  He did a flaming shot and literally burned half is face something fierce.  It was ugly.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:59 »
About the drinking thing...

In late 80's, San Diego (ships not NTC) allowed sailors to drink in the EM Club if 19 or older.  This was to keep people from scooting down to TJ. 

This was actually still true in 1994 when I was there, even on NTC.

It isn't that way now though.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2008, 09:04 »

Hope the "emergency" thing is all cleared up before reaching the fleet, there is no Isaac on the Promenade Deck serving up mai-tais...
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2008, 09:05 by HydroDave63 »

LDO4CNO

« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2008, 06:04 »
Hope the "emergency" thing is all cleared up before reaching the fleet, there is no Isaac on the Promenade Deck serving up mai-tais...

Rumor has it, although still "Under Review" for barracks use, students are allowed to drink during study hours, but only in the event of an "Emergency".  Insiders recently leaked a photo of the NDI pouring "Emergency Rations"

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:14 »

That picture is too funny!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #33 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:41 »
Rumor has it, although still "Under Review" for barracks use, students are allowed to drink during study hours, but only in the event of an "Emergency".  Insiders recently leaked a photo of the NDI pouring "Emergency Rations"

LDO....are you the guy on  the left??? :P
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2008, 07:42 by Gamecock »

LDO4CNO

« Reply #34 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:59 »
Gamecock, for the second time in the last week .....you are correct.  :P That was taken back in the day, before I needed my walker to get to work.  Back when after a long day of "Hearding Neutrons" we needed a relaxing beverage to unwind......

andrew.pigg

« Reply #35 on: Sep 10, 2008, 05:42 »
Alright....bringing the topic back to the top about the whole drinking thing at NNPTC--Im here right now sitting in my barrack...NO, NO WAY, NO HOW, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!! Even if you are 21...dont bring any alcohol on the site!! Lately...there have been some "problems" with A.) Underage drinking and B.) Out of phase drinking--  If youre underage and you get caught, youre gonna lose money...if youre underage and get caught and have an integrity issue...youre gonna lose money and most likely get deranked down to an E-2 or E-1 or worse go to the brig--oh and get sent out to the fleet as an undesignated sailor--so just dont do it.  And if you really think about it--youre not just losing the 500 $ fine for the underage thing...if you get down ranked, you lose all the money you COULD have been making while everybody else is pulling E-4 pay--and it will go on your record as an NJP infraction, and you CANNOT re-enlist unless you have at least 3 years with a clean record...so that means you lose star re-enlistment bonus money.  Its just a downward spiral...dont ya just love how the UCMJ works?? HA!!

They hold mastings every week here...theres one coming up for quite a few underages and out of phasers.  The CMC, CO, and DOS are really coming down on all of that crap hard....

and yes there are single rooms--the Petty Officer suites are the same as the jr. sailor rooms...only instead of 2 of everything...theres one.  The closets are about 4' wide and 2.5' deep...its plenty of room for EVERYTHING you will ever need...the only thing that hangs on my hanger rod are my uniforms...all my civies are in my drawers under my bed (yes you have a nice set of drawers under the bed...no coffin lockers)  its a pretty sweet setup. 

Fermi2

« Reply #36 on: Sep 10, 2008, 06:29 »
Downrated. You don't have rank, you have rate.

Mike

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #37 on: Sep 10, 2008, 06:46 »
Downrated. You don't have rank, you have rate.

Mike

Wrong.....

EM, ET, MM are rates.  A person in A' school doesn't earn their rating until they graduate. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #38 on: Sep 10, 2008, 09:23 »
I remember striking,...long time ago,...

Your so old you went to prototype at Oklo   :P :P

http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0010.shtml

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #39 on: Sep 10, 2008, 10:19 »
ROTFLMAO

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #40 on: Sep 10, 2008, 10:35 »
Your so old you went to prototype at Oklo   :P :P

http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0010.shtml

That was the most interesting thing I've read in a while, right up there with the Large Hadron Collider.  I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2008, 10:49 by withroaj »

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2008, 11:39 »
...youre gonna lose money and most likely get deranked down to an E-2 or E-1 or worse go to the brig--oh and get sent out to the fleet as an undesignated sailor--so just dont do it.

I always heard that those denuked for failing to meet requirements for disciplinary reasons were sent out to the fleet designated as IBMs--Instant Boatswains' Mates. :o
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2008, 02:55 »
I didn't consider there was anyone who didn't know about Oklo, dam, I am getting old,...

(but not that old, I did not pull rods on the sun,...my grandfather did)

Yes you are getting old because I had never even HEARD of that whole mess before you posted it.  So Marssim, was your first General Quarters due to an inbound cannonball or did you get your dolphins on the "Turtle".

andrew.pigg

« Reply #43 on: Sep 13, 2008, 01:14 »
Yall are crazy...im glad I have something to look forward to in my older years! HAHA--Its been an interesting weekend already, hit up the bar and there were a crapola of old salts...theres a destroyer reunion down at patriots point...its been pretty interesting talking to them!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?