Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Professor anyone?

Author Topic: Professor anyone?  (Read 10926 times)

imthehoopa

Professor anyone?
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:38 »
I see that when a lot of people get out of the Navy, be it in 6 years or after 20, go into the commercial nucular (mis-spelled on purpose in reference to a certain someone... it was a joke floating around the office today when talking about my career path.) world. I am just wondering if anyone happened to become a college professor. It's always been a long term goal of mine to teach at a university level until I retire (post military retirement). How much has the technical experience really helped all that much (do you teach more from just the education you have been taught in your particular subject or your experiences in the Navy)? Do you teach in you area of engineering expertise or in a nuclear program (i.e. straight mechanical engineering vs. a mechanical professor in a nuclear program)? Has teaching during your shore duty assignments helped out or is it just too much of different world to teach outside of the Navy? That's a long way down the road for me at this point (20+ years). It would be nice though to know if anyone else out there has gone down that path and have any advice for someone who is about to start down that road too.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Professor anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2008, 10:55 »
That is a very good question, and hopefully someone here will be able to reference their experience for you. In the mean time, here is some information about a program called "Troops to Teachers." Its a collaborative effort between the dept of education and DOD. Seems to be a pretty good program, as I have met a few former military teachers... although not necessarily Navy Nuke teachers. They all spoke well of the program and are doing fantastic post military. That includes one college prof. Seems to be a "get your foot in the door" type of program.

http://www.ed.gov/programs/troops/index.html

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008, 11:00 by JustinHEMI »

imthehoopa

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2008, 11:47 »
That is a very good question, and hopefully someone here will be able to reference their experience for you. In the mean time, here is some information about a program called "Troops to Teachers." Its a collaborative effort between the dept of education and DOD. Seems to be a pretty good program, as I have met a few former military teachers... although not necessarily Navy Nuke teachers. They all spoke well of the program and are doing fantastic post military. That includes one college prof. Seems to be a "get your foot in the door" type of program.

http://www.ed.gov/programs/troops/index.html

Justin

I just read through that website and it only seems to cover elementary to high school levels in very low-income areas. My reason for wanting to teach at a university level is so that I can avoid behavioral issues with students and focus completely on lectures, labs (depending on what area of study I choose), helping students who ask, research, and so on. I would be interested to know how long your college professor friend was part of the program or if I just missed a bit of information somewhere (I read everything though). Another thing I noticed is that funding for the program has been losing funding over the last 5 years (only one big cut - by 50% - but steadily dropping since then). One would think that such a great program that actually works would be heading in the opposite direction. Thanks for that though. I might just have to keep that referenced for when I do retire from the Navy. U of South Carolina is one of the school listed in SC that helps military get their teaching degrees. That is also the school I would eventually like to teach at so it might work out. I have to say it again though... This is WAY down the road for me. Things change (even though I have wanted to be in the Navy since my first haircut - the barber was retired Navy and he had a picture of a SSN launching out of the water. I always thought that was amazing).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:03 »

I just read through that website and it only seems to cover elementary to high school levels in very low-income areas. My reason for wanting to teach at a university level is so that I can avoid behavioral issues with students and focus completely on lectures, labs (depending on what area of study I choose), helping students who ask, research, and so on. I would be interested to know how long your college professor friend was part of the program or if I just missed a bit of information somewhere (I read everything though). Another thing I noticed is that funding for the program has been losing funding over the last 5 years (only one big cut - by 50% - but steadily dropping since then). One would think that such a great program that actually works would be heading in the opposite direction. Thanks for that though. I might just have to keep that referenced for when I do retire from the Navy. U of South Carolina is one of the school listed in SC that helps military get their teaching degrees. That is also the school I would eventually like to teach at so it might work out. I have to say it again though... This is WAY down the road for me. Things change (even though I have wanted to be in the Navy since my first haircut - the barber was retired Navy and he had a picture of a SSN launching out of the water. I always thought that was amazing).

If you want to teach at a major university, you'll need to get your PhD.  Since I'm currently in grad school, I often see the postings for schools seeking applicants for their faculty.  I've never seen one that didn't require a PhD.  One of the pressures of teaching a major university is that you are expected to do cutting edge research, publish academic papers, and generate revenue for the school.  Now, if you want to teach at a junior college, or even a technical college, you can do that with a masters degree.  That is also the route I'd like to go after retiring.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:23 »
Had one guy from my office (28 yr LDO) retire a few years ago.  Completed his MA and PhD in education while still in the service.  Retired to FL to teach at the university level and working for a non-profit in the education field.  So it can be done.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2008, 11:32 »

That is why I called it a "get your foot in the door" type of program. But you're right, the way it is going it probably won't be around when you retire. I will ask my friend about his career path in more detail when I speak with him. But I do remember him teaching HS for a while, while he was working on the required credentials for college teaching.

BTW, subs don't typically fly out of the water on a regular basis. Those pictures are usually taken at the end of life, just before decommissioning. Sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity (for you and the boat).

Justin

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2008, 12:00 »
My reason for wanting to teach at a university level is so that I can avoid behavioral issues with students and focus completely on lectures, labs (depending on what area of study I choose), helping students who ask, research, and so on.

Sounds like you want to teach operators at a commercial nuclear power plant. Unless you are opposed to 80-120K annual salary...

The research will be investigating recent OPS OOPS and working it into future simulator scenarios. And everyone there is motivated to learn.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

imthehoopa

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:20 »

BTW, subs don't typically fly out of the water on a regular basis. Those pictures are usually taken at the end of life, just before decommissioning. Sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity (for you and the boat).

Justin

Thanks... now I don't even want to serve anymore. You have runined my life.

imthehoopa

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:28 »
Sounds like you want to teach operators at a commercial nuclear power plant. Unless you are opposed to 80-120K annual salary...

The research will be investigating recent OPS OOPS and working it into future simulator scenarios. And everyone there is motivated to learn.

No, definitely not. I'd like to teach ME by itself or ME within a nuclear program at a university. I have a feeling I am going to avoid becoming part of the commercial side. Not sure why I have that feeling, probably just my lack of knowledge about the area. 20 years to worry about it though.

withroaj

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:26 »
... 20 years to worry about it though.

Someone on this forum told me a while back:  let's eat this elephant one bite at a time.  Go kick some ass in school and get on a boat.  Go on some deployments and surge deployments, and maybe an extended shipyard availability (joy and pain, all).  Give it some time and see if this Navy game works out for you.  We ALL wanted to do 20 when we were in DEP.  Some don't after some sea time.  The NNPP can offer you a whole lot as far as working experience and wacky adventures around the planet, but it isn't for everybody.  Make sure you set reasonable, measurable, attainable goals (short and long term) for your time in the Navy, and you might find that your true calling doesn't require 20 years service.  A lot of folks here on nukeworker did six-, eight- or ten-and-out and have good jobs on the outside.

If you want to go enlisted and wind up teaching at a major university I'd probably recommend you enlist with an officer package on the horizon (you know, give yourself some blue shirt sea time and then shoot for commissioning).  Officers don't have much (any) free time on sea duty (subs - I don't know about carriers yet), but I think they can have some awesome educational opportunities while on active duty if they perform well.  They (the crusty old LDOs, NECP and STA-21 fellers on this forum) can tell you more about that.

I can only recommend that you don't enlist with goals set at Navy retirement followed by a college professor tour in CIVLANT.  Take it piece by piece and make sure you can get what you want out of the Navy while giving the Navy what it needs from you.  No good staying in if it isn't a mutually beneficial relationship.  Most of all, have fun with it.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008, 05:42 by withroaj »

imthehoopa

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:50 »
Someone on this forum told me a while back:  let's eat this elephant one bite at a time.  Go kick some ass in school and get on a boat.  Go on some deployments and surge deployments, and maybe an extended shipyard availability (joy and pain, all).  Give it some time and see if this Navy game works out for you.  We ALL wanted to do 20 when we were in DEP.  Some don't after some sea time.  The NNPP can offer you a whole lot as far as working experience and wacky adventures around the planet, but it isn't for everybody.  Make sure you set reasonable, measurable, attainable goals (short and long term) for your time in the Navy, and you might find that your true calling doesn't require 20 years service.  A lot of folks here on nukeworker did six-, eight- or ten-and-out and have good jobs on the outside.

If you want to go enlisted and wind up teaching at a major university I'd probably recommend you enlist with an officer package on the horizon (you know, give yourself some blue shirt sea time and then shoot for commissioning).  Officers don't have much (any) free time on sea duty (subs - I don't know about carriers yet), but I think they can have some awesome educational opportunities while on active duty if they perform well.  They can tell you more about that.

I can only recommend that you don't enlist with goals set at Navy retirement followed by a college professor tour in CIVLANT.  Take it piece by piece and make sure you can get what you want out of the Navy while giving the Navy what it needs from you.  No good staying in if it isn't a mutually beneficial relationship.  Most of all, have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not one to "beat a dead horse" so to speak. I  think my current situation is evidence enough of that. I am not benefitting currently in my experience college so I'm going down a different path (one I wanted all along). I think it's a logical thing to do. I feel I could do it again if the situation repeated anytime during my service. Trust me that I will be hoping for 20 but planning for whenever my next possible time to separate is as a just-in-case precaution.

I have no set plans for my future. It's all basically vague ideas at best. I'm just gonna have to see how it goes and make decisions when it comes to it. Just interesting to see if anyone has already made the choices I potentially will have to consider. Thanks again for speaking from experience. You guys have been a lot of help so far.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2008, 03:40 »

Actually happens more often than you might think...EMBT blow from test depth is a required test for any submarine coming out of a major CNO availability.  Been there, done that, many times, on many different boats coming out of the shipyard.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:05 »

Actually happens more often than you might think...EMBT blow from test depth is a required test for any submarine coming out of a major CNO availability.  Been there, done that, many times, on many different boats coming out of the shipyard.

Same here (once). We didn't fly as shown in those pictures (e.g. go air born as shown below). From what I was told, you have to do that from AIII, which from what was said isn't what happens at the end of a CNO availability (we didn't). But I could have been mis-informed, and therefore if submarines do catch air more regularly as you say, then I stand corrected. Thank you.

Justin

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008, 04:17 by JustinHEMI »

withroaj

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:30 »
To be honest, I thought the quick blow from just below PD (the small boat rescue maneuver-- did it once on PCO ops) was more fun than the deep EMBT blow anyway.  The quick blow was actually a bit of a rush; the deep blow was just a cool angle (I may have seen a cooler (down) angle when an aft MBT vent did or didn't fail to open during a dive on a dependents' cruise).  Have to admit I was in ERF for both MBT blows, and that being right near the longitudinal centerline of the boat probably isn't the most amazing place for it.  I was in the rack for the "super dive" though (the rack's probably the best place for any angle, even zero).

imthehoopa

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:25 »
"I suggest that this is a good time to think soberly about our responsibilities to our descendents - those who will ring out the Fossil Fuel Age. Our greatest responsibility, as parents and as citizens, is to give America's youngsters the best possible education. We need the best teachers and enough of them to prepare our young people for a future immeasurably more complex than the present, and calling for ever larger numbers of competent and highly trained men and women." -?

A quote I found that pretty much explains why I picked up the urge to eventually teach in the first place. +iK to anyone who knows who it is without looking it up ("i" = imaginary because I'm not a Gold Member).

imthehoopa

« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2008, 12:59 »
Ya posted this in Navy Nuke, you know we already know who said these words, we're all NNPP geeks here,.... ;)

Yea, I figured as much. It made me happy when I read it though (I've been reading a lot into Naval history lately). Thought I would refresh anyone's memory who may have forgotten/ never heard it (and it fit the topic).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?