Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hey everyone, curious question  

Author Topic: Hey everyone, curious question  (Read 5216 times)

rphillip

Hey everyone, curious question
« on: Jul 29, 2008, 11:16 »
Hello everyone, I am currently going to a junior college with a major in physics.  I am interested in going to a college with a nuclear engineering program.  I have searched and found a limited amount of abet accredited nuclear engineering programs but have found many other colleges that do offer a nuclear engineering program.  For example, one of the colleges I am interested in is located in Idaho and the program is an interdisciplinary program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.  I have searched and found that their Mechanical Engineering program is abet accredited.  My question is, in the field, does it matter if you get a degree from an abet accredited school or a degree from a non credited school.  Also I am very interested in the field of nuclear propulsion of nuclear engineering and wonder if this affects the type of school I choose?

rjjohnson83404

Re: Hey everyone, curious question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:14 »
I assume you're talking about ISU. I live in Idaho Falls and work at the site here. I can't speak about the quality of the engineering program at ISU, but the fact that it's located near what should be a hotbed of nuclear activity in the coming years might be a deciding factor for you. You have access to several types of nuclear programs to study and/or make a career of. Just my thoughts.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:03 »
Hello everyone, I am currently going to a junior college with a major in physics.  I am interested in going to a college with a nuclear engineering program.  I have searched and found a limited amount of abet accredited nuclear engineering programs but have found many other colleges that do offer a nuclear engineering program.  For example, one of the colleges I am interested in is located in Idaho and the program is an interdisciplinary program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.  I have searched and found that their Mechanical Engineering program is abet accredited.  My question is, in the field, does it matter if you get a degree from an abet accredited school or a degree from a non credited school.  Also I am very interested in the field of nuclear propulsion of nuclear engineering and wonder if this affects the type of school I choose?

What part of the country are you in?
What part do you want to attend school at?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:06 »
If you can handle beautiful Northeast Ohio:

http://lakelandcc.edu/ACADEMIC/ENGINEER/nuclear/

rphillip

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:05 »
I currently live in Florida and I am very interested in going into the nuclear propulsion part of nuclear engineering. 

rphillip

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:51 »
Nobody still hasn't answered my original question though.  Does it matter when getting a job in the nuclear field if you went to a college that was abet accredited for nuclear engineering and got a degree there or if you went to a college that wasn't abet accredited for nuclear engineering?

rphillip

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2008, 12:14 »
Thank you very much for the advice guys.  That will help me decide.  One more question though and i will leave you guys alone  ;).  For a university like University of Idaho in Idaho Falls, they have a nuclear engineering program which is an interdisciplinary program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.  I have searched the abet site and found that their mechanical engineering program is accredited but nothing on their nuclear engineering program.  Does that accreditaion pass onto the nuclear engineering program being it is an interdisciplinary program?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2008, 12:29 »
Thank you very much for the advice guys.  That will help me decide.  One more question though and i will leave you guys alone  ;).  For a university like University of Idaho in Idaho Falls, they have a nuclear engineering program which is an interdisciplinary program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.  I have searched the abet site and found that their mechanical engineering program is accredited but nothing on their nuclear engineering program.  Does that accreditaion pass onto the nuclear engineering program being it is an interdisciplinary program?

for that kind of detail i would call them and ask, they would know better than us. conjecture is about the best we can give you on that unless one of us has gone thru the program.

when you do find out, please let us know.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2008, 12:30 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?